Anyone got experience with VR?

Big Sexy

narcoleptic mattress salesman
Site Supporter
These look like they will make you motion sick.

I want one by xmas if they're legit. Price doesn't matter.

OP
OP
FagglesMcGee

FagglesMcGee

Forever forgotten.
I got my Oculus Rift a week ago. It's been a fulfilling delight to have. Robo Recall and Killing Floor: Incursion have been fantastic experiences. I noticed that my dreams have been way more vivid and intense since purchasing it. I already have intense dreams and nightmares on a daily basis from PTSD, but this has opened a door to a kind of dreaming I've wanted for a long time.

OP
OP
FagglesMcGee

FagglesMcGee

Forever forgotten.
Sounds nice. No anxiety or disorientation during play?
None of that. Though, if you do play excessively, your perception of the real world can temporarily get weird. You might be reading text on a screen, and suddenly it has depth to it, or your hands look like they're moving differently than they should be.

Dageaux

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I have been considering it, but am concerned that my computer will not handle it. I am looking at new computer rigs, but unfortunately my philosophy on buying computes is get cutting edge shit so it will still be relevant in 3 years. and that philosophy doesn't play well with my current income and budget.

My dream is to find a VR program that will allow me to build three dimensional buildings and insert things like videos or gif's in the windows so it would be like being there. I have been building a house in my head since my early teens and it would be neat to walk around that house complete with outdoor illusions.

OP
OP
FagglesMcGee

FagglesMcGee

Forever forgotten.
I have been considering it, but am concerned that my computer will not handle it. I am looking at new computer rigs, but unfortunately my philosophy on buying computes is get cutting edge shit so it will still be relevant in 3 years. and that philosophy doesn't play well with my current income and budget.

My dream is to find a VR program that will allow me to build three dimensional buildings and insert things like videos or gif's in the windows so it would be like being there. I have been building a house in my head since my early teens and it would be neat to walk around that house complete with outdoor illusions.
This is also something I'd like, but take it much further by building scenes that can be enjoyed by just watching it. The Oculus uses what are called "environments" as the backdrop for their main menus. This one looks nice with the headset on. You're getting about 25% of what this screenshot shows. The night sky has a moon, twinkling and shooting stars that shoot by just long enough to catch a good glimpse of them. I'd love to recreate something like this, but put a massive emphasis on the sky being more alien and nebula-esque. It wouldn't even have to get that crazy. Just have modular assets for building around the camera to create backdrops as though you're staring out of a window in space or something.
bo6bljeu5i2z.png

hikikomori-yume

Factory Bastard
Got a DK1 in 2014, practically lived in Riftmax theater.
I recently bought an Oculus Go and it's absolutely fucking amazing and paired with this 20,000 mah portable battery it's like having a home VR experience wherever I go.
The other day I was parked outside of a laundromat connected to their internet while sitting in the car, wearing my Go and logged into AltspaceVR, I was standing next to a camp fire in the woods with around 20 other people just standing there watching them chat with each other .. it was also to think that I was having this communal experience with people from all over while stationed in such an odd obscure place.
I'll just stick with the Go until the next generation of HMDs rolls out, then I'll get home/desktop HMD.
I don't even care about gaming, I just want VR for the social and niche stuff, like EmuVR or the virtual movie theaters.

OP
OP
FagglesMcGee

FagglesMcGee

Forever forgotten.
Got a DK1 in 2014, practically lived in Riftmax theater.
I recently bought an Oculus Go and it's absolutely fucking amazing and paired with this 20,000 mah portable battery it's like having a home VR experience wherever I go.
The other day I was parked outside of a laundromat connected to their internet while sitting in the car, wearing my Go and logged into AltspaceVR, I was standing next to a camp fire in the woods with around 20 other people just standing there watching them chat with each other .. it was also to think that I was having this communal experience with people from all over while stationed in such an odd obscure place.
I'll just stick with the Go until the next generation of HMDs rolls out, then I'll get home/desktop HMD.
I don't even care about gaming, I just want VR for the social and niche stuff, like EmuVR or the virtual movie theaters.
VR Films are probably going to be a thing, and I'm cool with this. Rift has a Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom promo where you follow a velociraptor as it explores its environments. While absolutely minimalist in its entirety, I was pleasantly surprised at how well this 7 minute demo was. It was filmed in a real location, then CGI added later, and it was very well done.