Broken window theory and the fall of the American Empire

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Most of the 74,222,957 Americans who voted to re-elect Donald Trump – 46.8%of the votes cast in the 2020 presidential election – don’t hold Trump accountable for what he’s done to America.

Their acceptance of Trump’s behavior will be his vilest legacy.

Nearly forty years ago, political scientist James Q Wilson and criminologist George Kelling observed that a broken window left unattended in a community signals that no one cares if windows are broken there. The broken window is thereby an invitation to throw more stones and break more windows.

The message: do whatever you want here because others have done it and got away with it.

The broken window theory has led to picayune and arbitrary law enforcement in poor communities. But America’s most privileged and powerful have been breaking big windows with impunity.

In 2008, Wall Street nearly destroyed the economy. The Street got bailed out while millions of Americans lost their jobs, savings, and homes. Yet not one major Wall Street executive ever went to jail.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Yawn, yet another lame opinion piece. Is that all you people ever read? I also get tired of the lies you people keep spewing about police officers, because that is all you ever do when the subject comes up, lie about it. I am more concerned about the millions of violent felons Democrats released into our neighborhoods here in California, I am more concerned about the violent illegal alien gang members who Democrats refuse to allow to be deported, I am more concerned with the hundreds of thousands of street junkies we have in every city in this state because Democrats decided to give junkies a free pass on everything. I am especially concerned how Democrats allowed corrupt unions to literary destroy public education in this state; which used to be the best in the country and now lags 48th.

I am concerned about how just on my main house I have to pay $6600 per year in property taxes (up from $5800 last year) yet I get less and less services for that payment. I am concerned about the 13.5% state income tax, the 7.5% sales tax, the regressive fees on everything (see car registration, water bills, driver's license renewal fees, etc...). I am concerned about how we pay the single highest electric bills in the entire country. I am concerned about why my gas costs $3.30 a gallon where as in other states it is around $1.50. I am concerned my employer will move because they will finally figure out they are getting charged 8.9% corporate income tax while other states charge zero.

In short, I worry about actual things instead of lame political opinion hit pieces which are only designed to cause outrage among the low I.Q. hyper partisans in order to sell clicks to advertisements.

Jake

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Most of the 74,222,957 Americans who voted to re-elect Donald Trump – 46.8%of the votes cast in the 2020 presidential election – don’t hold Trump accountable for what he’s done to America.

Nearly forty years ago, political scientist James Q Wilson and criminologist George Kelling observed that a broken window left unattended in a community signals that no one cares if windows are broken there. The broken window is thereby an invitation to throw more stones and break more windows.

The message: do whatever you want here because others have done it and got away with it.

The broken window theory has led to picayune and arbitrary law enforcement in poor communities. But America’s most privileged and powerful have been breaking big windows with impunity.

In 2008, Wall Street nearly destroyed the economy. The Street got bailed out while millions of Americans lost their jobs, savings, and homes. Yet not one major Wall Street executive ever went to jail.

Moreover, this work by Wilson and Kelling has subsequently led to a theory of Broken Windows Policing, most notoriously practiced in NYC under DiBlasio. Plenty has been written about that, and about the trickledown effects it's had on policing in other urban areas. I'm not talking about the opinion pieces that have been written about it, there has been some science looking at it as well although I'm not in a position to do a fully-researched term paper about it tonight.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
It worked. It worked very well. Thus why the usual enablers of criminals got so mad about it.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
No, it is a swipe at the race hustlers who say crimes shouldn't be punished because certain groups disproportionately commit crimes, it is a swipe at people who want to inable criminal behavior and bad behavior by simply ignoring crimes or redefining them as no longer crimes, it is a swipe at rotten politicians who want to excuse crimes their side commits (and partisans on both sides do this), and, of course, it is a swipe at those who are soft on crime. In short, Jake, it is exactly what I said; those who enable criminals.

Jake

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Well, gee whiz. Your definition of "the usual enablers of criminals" is nearly as large as the definition I suggested, but does not acknowledge the overlap between your group and mine. Moreover, both definitions are too large and too vaguely stated to be of much use to someone wanting to address (or even analyze) the problem.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
At the ti.e it seemed easier than writing a detailed thesis on the matter especially as most of us know which groups are generally soft on crime and which ones are not. Especially in the context of blue states where these problems exist so prominently.

Clothahump

Factory Bastard

We were prosperous under Trump. We're not under Biden. Nothing vile about that.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

We were prosperous under Trump. We're not under Biden. Nothing vile about that.
How hard do you have to work to keep that bizarre illusion alive in your brain?

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Good article, btw. ^^^^^^

Cookie Monster

One of the cool Kids.
Site Supporter ☠️

His vilest behaviour, hes a comedian whos wepeonised it and his supporters think its funny and long over due. If you change vilest behaviour to wepeonised langauge then trump matches the left punch for punch. You really have no case.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
The Broken Window Theory has been shattered in recent years.

The facts don't bear it out.

Trump, on the other hand, is still vile.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

His vilest behaviour, hes a comedian whos wepeonised it and his supporters think its funny and long over due. If you change vilest behaviour to wepeonised langauge then trump matches the left punch for punch. You really have no case.
Sorry?

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Trump, on the other hand, is still vile.

Got any proof about that?

DWHx-VGFU0-AEMGr-M.jpg

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
You love licking Andy Ngo's anoos. Since when has reality matterd?

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
No evidence at all that they are fake but tons that they are real. So not only do you hate facts and reality but you are also into baseless conspiracy theories?

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
At least some of the other nutters on your side admit their hate and derangement is all consuming for them. Not to mention they care more about lies about the other side than they do actual evidence of crimes by their own side.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Wake up, dude.

Andy Ngo is nothing but a right-wing provocateur twat with absolutely zero journalistic cred.

Why are you even paying attention to this shillster? Don't you have a brain cell?