Death row

Q

Dictator of the Bastard Factory
Banned
Please explain this to me: in america you still have the death sentence.
Let's not talk about why and if this makes sense.

What I want to know is WHY do you lock people up for years and years. Somethimes over 20 years, before executing them?

Swamp-Duck

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I’m not America but I think death row inmates have the right to appeal their sentence, stuff takes years I suppose, seems cruel when they must see others getting executed, must be like hell, but then again you have to think about the victims familys, I should think it puts some sort of full stop on their situation.
Seems illogical to kill someone to show killing is wrong, then again if someone brutally murders a person I love, I would want the cunt dead...

OP
OP
Q

Q

Dictator of the Bastard Factory
Banned
I’m not America but I think death row inmates have the right to appeal their sentence, stuff takes years I suppose, seems cruel when they must see others getting executed, must be like hell, but then again you have to think about the victims familys, I should think it puts some sort of full stop on their situation.
Seems illogical to kill someone to show killing is wrong, then again if someone brutally murders a person I love, I would want the cunt dead...
I did not want to question the death penalty, I have my own thoughts about that. Just the fact that they have to wait for the sentence to be executed for decades seems to be so cruel.

I will have to admit that in the Netherlands we do sort of the same. You can be sentenced to "life" here and that means you will be locked up (theoretically) until you die. But then you know that you will be there until you die of natural causes, in america you will never know when it will be "the day".

Does it really take 20 years for an appeal? Or could there be more? A death sentence is not reversible in any way, so maybe some "reassurance period"?

Btw, small sidestep (I hope people will forgive me); where are you from?