Fishing 2023

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned
Only 2 days until opening day for Trout in NY State. I've scouted out some really wonderful spots remote enough that there shouldn't be much pressure - plus, it's a Friday so that should keep angler numbers down.
Gonna do more Trout fishing this year, and a little streamside cooking too.
Of course I am well supplied for Bass fishing - will be hitting some new waters by boat and others by shore.
It'll be a great year.

Today, though, I'm just waiting for it to warm a little then heading to the archery range. Got a new set of target arrows to try out, and have another dozen on the way from across the pond.

Sure wish my pall CaseyK was here.

Admin.

A wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
Site Supporter ☠️
Only 2 days until opening day for Trout in NY State. I've scouted out some really wonderful spots remote enough that there shouldn't be much pressure - plus, it's a Friday so that should keep angler numbers down.
Of course I am well supplied for Bass fishing - will be hitting some new waters by boat and others by shore.
It'll be a great year.

Today, though, I'm just waiting for it to warm a little then heading to the archery range. Got a new set of target arrows to try out, and have another dozen on the way from across the pond.

I just found out one of my Neighbors does a little surf fishing, one of these i'm go down to the beach and lurn me how it's done. He caught a nice sized Rock fish a couple weeks ago.

OP
OP
1Holliday1

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned
It'll be a great year.

I just found out one of my Neighbors does a little surf fishing, one of these i'm go down to the beach and lurn me how it's done. He caught a nice sized Rock fish a couple weeks ago.
It's a great sport, and you'll never stop learning new stuff and recognizing new opportunities.
. Being by water is always transporting and nourishing to the spirit, I find.

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️
It'll be a great year.

It's a great sport, and you'll never stop learning new stuff and recognizing new opportunities.
. Being by water is always transporting and nourishing to the spirit, I find.
I never tire of watching of The Ocean

Look like nothin's gonna change
Everything still remains the same
I can't do what ten people tell me to do
So I guess I'll remain the same, yes

Sittin' here restin' my bones
And this loneliness won't leave me alone, listen
Two thousand miles, I roam
Just to make this dock my home

OP
OP
1Holliday1

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned
As I mentioned, tomorrow is opening day for Trout in NY State - weather's looking a bit sketchy right through next week sadly.
Anyway, I had a reel I bought use on ebay that I needed to test out so I got down to the river after getting back from the archery range, and I tied on a 1/4 oz jighead and a lit'l boss swimbait and commence to casting in this little side channel which sweeps the outside of a long island at a sharp bend in the river. Reel's working nicely, might need a little lubing and also needs to be respooled with 12 lb..

I had checked the temperature on the gov site - 39 F so I'm not optimistic about actually catching anything, which in any case isn't the main reason I'm there, but WHAMO! a very nice Walleye, then another. First one took the bait fairly deep and I hadn't brought the needlenose, so I got a bit cut up on them pointy Walleye teeth. Nonetheless, kind of an interesting start to the year's fishing. I always do catch a nice Walleye early in the year. They are out of season till mid-May I think, but I hear they are good eating.

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️
As I mentioned, tomorrow is opening day for Trout in NY State - weather's looking a bit sketchy right through next week sadly.
Anyway, I had a reel I bought use on ebay that I needed to test out so I got down to the river after getting back from the archery range, and I tied on a 1/4 oz jighead and a lit'l boss swimbait and commence to casting in this little side channel which sweeps the outside of a long island at a sharp bend in the river. Reel's working nicely, might need a little lubing and also needs to be respooled with 12 lb..

I had checked the temperature on the gov site - 39 F so I'm not optimistic about actually catching anything, which in any case isn't the main reason I'm there, but WHAMO! a very nice Walleye, then another. First one took the bait fairly deep and I hadn't brought the needlenose, so I got a bit cut up on them pointy Walleye teeth. Nonetheless, kind of an interesting start to the year's fishing. I always do catch a nice Walleye early in the year. They are out of season till mid-May I think, but I hear they are good eating.
Do you have to pay an out of state premium to get a NY License? Oregon's done that for years.

OP
OP
1Holliday1

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned

Do you have to pay an out of state premium to get a NY License? Oregon's done that for years.
Yes, I take NJ and NY licenses. The out of state licensing is higher cost but it opens up quite a lot of additional opportunities.

Last edited:

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Cool thread. I don’t get to fish much in fresh water. Brackish water in the Estero. Snook.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I love to go offshore, but only when it’s happening. Top boats are up to $1200. Per day. I’m more of a panga guy.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
It'll be a great year.

CaseyK doesn’t like the phishing from various folk on this forum!

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
if it dont got a wheelchair ramp u aint fishin shit

go back 2 googling fantasy equipment

OP
OP
1Holliday1

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned

Now speaking of trolling, Jean, it's a fishing technique I don't get to practice often anymore since I'm primarily a shore fisherman now. I actually prefer clambering up, down, over and around the river lake and pond banks. It actually amounts to a rough form of hiking like bushwacking, and finding those sweet spots along the shore is part of the game and skill involved in the sport. Trolling, of course, is done from a boat and while it may seem as simple as dragging a bait on long line there's much more to it. There's reel and line class selection, lure selection (style, size, color, running depth), lure placement which means having some understanding of bottom contours/structure locations etc., and seasonal, daily, and weather related fish movements/patterns. When I fished regularly from a boat, about 10% of my catches came by trolling. So you see, unlike you, I was quite successful at it and made many fine catches. Still do occasionally when the fishing pard convinces me to go boating which is her preference. Thanks for introducing the subject.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
@1Holl88iday1 : sad I know but true

Now speaking of trolling, Jean, it's a fishing technique I don't get to practice often anymore since I'm primarily a shore fisherman now. I actually prefer clambering up, down, over and around the river lake and pond banks. It actually amounts to a rough form of hiking like bushwacking, and finding those sweet spots along the shore is part of the game and skill involved in the sport. Trolling, of course, is done from a boat and while it may seem as simple as dragging a bait on long line there's much more to it. There's reel and line class selection, lure selection (style, size, color, running depth), lure placement which means having some understanding of bottom contours/structure locations etc., and seasonal, daily, and weather related fish movements/patterns. When I fished regularly from a boat, about 10% of my catches came by trolling, so you see, unlike you, I was quite successful at it and made many fine catches. Still do occasionally when the fishing pard convinces me to go boating which is her preference. Thanks for introducing the subject.

When I’m fishing shores and estuary banks, I really enjoy using natural baits around the area.

With beach fishing, I like to use the beach worms.

images

images

And estuary fishing, I’ll use blood worms, black crabs/mud crabs or oyster/molluscs.

images

images

images

OP
OP
1Holliday1

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned

Now speaking of trolling, Jean, it's a fishing technique I don't get to practice often anymore since I'm primarily a shore fisherman now. I actually prefer clambering up, down, over and around the river lake and pond banks. It actually amounts to a rough form of hiking like bushwacking, and finding those sweet spots along the shore is part of the game and skill involved in the sport. Trolling, of course, is done from a boat and while it may seem as simple as dragging a bait on long line there's much more to it. There's reel and line class selection, lure selection (style, size, color, running depth), lure placement which means having some understanding of bottom contours/structure locations etc., and seasonal, daily, and weather related fish movements/patterns. When I fished regularly from a boat, about 10% of my catches came by trolling, so you see, unlike you, I was quite successful at it and made many fine catches. Still do occasionally when the fishing pard convinces me to go boating which is her preference. Thanks for introducing the subject.

When I’m fishing shores and estuary banks, I really enjoy using natural baits around the area.

images

images

And estuary fishing, I’ll use blood worms, black crabs/mud crabs or oyster/molluscs.

images

images

images
OMG! The ocean is a scary place.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

images

images

images

images

images
Those beach worms are a mission to extract from the sand too. One has to rub a bit of sardine or other oily fish on the shore break and coerce the worm over a bent finger to the sardine, then quickly grab the worm behind it’s head. Can be tricky.

images

OP
OP
1Holliday1

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned

images

images

images

images

images
Those beach worms are a mission to extract from the sand too. One has to rub a bit of sardine or other oily fish on the shore break and coerce the worm over a bent finger to the sardine, then quickly grab the worm behind it’s head. Can be tricky.

images
They look like they bite. Reminds me a bit of these guys which are a favorite Smallmouth Bass bait in the rivers. I use only the plastic sort you buy in the store. The real ones can deliver quite a painful bite.
Hellgrammite (Dobsonfly larva):

Screen-Shot-2019-06-15-at-4.29.50-PM.png

Last edited:

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

images

images

images

images

images

images
They look like they bite. Reminds me a bit of these guys which are a favorite Smallmouth Bass bait in the rivers. I use only the plastic sort you buy in the store. The real ones can deliver quite a painful bite.

They grow up to look like this:
Lol…yeah they bite! One needs to keep the sardine bait in a separate hand so the worm doesn’t try bite your finger.

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️
images

images

images

images

images

images

Yeah rag worms bite! We have rag worm here, quite a little nip they give you too I've been caught a few times lol

They're a lot of work to dig and quite expensive to buy but a GREAT bait for a variety of sea fish...

OP
OP
1Holliday1

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned
"Nature's waiting room" says Anthony Hopkins as C.S Lewis, while staring dejectedly out his study window at the never easing rain in the movie Shadowlands.
...and that's what I'm saying.

I have a reel to re-spool with 14 lb XT Green....and then I wait.
Tomorrow they say we may have a one day break from it all.

OP
OP
1Holliday1

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned
I think Jean is trying to get me to invite her on a fishing trip.

..but
I fish alone
YEAAAH with nobody else
You know when I fish alone
I prefer to be by myself

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
u laugh but it works - i casted 20yds easy, it locked and i pulled an 8lb branch from the lake

what more do u need

OP
OP
1Holliday1

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned
u laugh but it works - i casted 20yds easy, it locked and i pulled an 8lb branch from the lake

what more do u need
I just checked - they still market those things.

So what do you fish for with your pocket fisherman? Trouser Trout?
..and whose pocket do you fish in?

Have you ever actually gone fishing?

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

what more do u need

I use those telescopic rod/reel combos from Kmart for fresh and Saltwater fishing.... the rods usually break first.... on the eyelets.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

what more do u need
I just checked - they still market those things.

So what do you fish for with your pocket fisherman? Trouser Trout?

Have you ever actually gone fishing?
not really, someone else brought it. they caught fish but released them, too small