Gardening

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Some of us were talking about a gardening thread. I never had any interest in it until I moved to CR. I live in the Guanacaste. Norther pacific coast. The climate is the most extreme here. Very warm and dry, from December to May. Rainy to extremely rainy from May to November. I’ve learn to observe the seasons, and garden accordingly. Most of what’s in my gardens are ornamental. I do have a few fruit trees. I’ll post a few photos of my yard and other interesting things I’ve come across living here. No, I don’t grow weed or coca. I’ll posts some pics. Let’s see where it goes.

OP
OP
Seamajor

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Ive got an assortment of Bromeliads They are like tropical cactus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
What kind of fruit trees?

When I lived down in southern Florida I was on a 3rd floor condo. So i grew orchids(they are my favorite)

There were moon flower bushes out there as well. I also had a palm tree I called Elwood and a gardenia plant. It was awesome leaving the patio doors open and the breeze would carry the scent in.

OP
OP
Seamajor

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Recently binged these...

I look forward to starting a veggie garden... I really don't even eat 'em.. I dunno, am I gay?

Give them away or sell it at farmers markets. Everyone loves organic veggies right from a garden.

Dovey, are you looking to start a vegetable garden? Yes nothing better, fresh from the garden.

OP
OP
Seamajor

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Someone asked me about Spider plants. They are called Mala Madre here. I’ve tried growing these several times in the shadiest spots. They seem to hate the sun. I think I’ve only got 2 left. I grew a huge one indoors when I lived in the Bay Area.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Recently binged these...

I look forward to starting a veggie garden... I really don't even eat 'em.. I dunno, am I gay?

Give them away or sell it at farmers markets. Everyone loves organic veggies right from a garden.

Dovey, are you looking to start a vegetable garden? Yes nothing better, fresh from the garden.

Yep! I built some raised gardens last year.

I'm just waiting to see if I have permission to put them on the ground. We do not own the land we are on, it's a camp ground. They are relaxed enough to let people build decks ....so hopefully they'll allow it. I also want to be careful to not grow anything that could harm any of the wild life or feral cats.

If not I'll just have to use smaller ones and keep them on the deck.

But yes veggies and I'm always growing herbs. When we find land I'm gonna grow everything lol.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
So I'm teaching my Squish about using food to grow more food and plants and stuff so her and I sprouted onions.

And Prudey has decided to sleep in them lol.

OP
OP
Seamajor

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
These are different but not rare. They are not cactus, and have flowers all year. They’re called Corona de Christo

Krieg

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
When the snow gets off the ground I shall figure out how to post my attempts at gardening.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
This is my view right now

[Lol! It's nice outside but still frozen lol. I'm so ready for gardening weather! Still have another month before I plant anything outside.

OP
OP
Seamajor

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Looks like you could sets some beds or poTs up near the rail of your deck. Herbs?

Last edited:

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Looks like you could sets some beds or posts up near the rail of your deck. Herbs?

Yes! I have some that I need to hook up along the rails...I just need to get to Home Depot for the hooks.

I have this I'm gonna put some veggies in, probably lettuce or chard....or both.

Sorry if it's a bad angle, the sun is glaring right now so I tried to block it lol. I have to line it. I hope my worms make more castings by the time I'm putting seedlings in.

I want to have this whole deck full of plants.

OP
OP
Seamajor

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Gonna drive to Santa Cruz later to visit a big nursery. Looking for vine type plants for the terrace.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I saw some "organic" seeds at the nursery out here and it kinda surprised me. What makes those seeds more organic than the other seeds? I could google it I guess.

I just assumed all seeds were organic.

Maybe its seeds taken from plants grown from organic farming?

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Recently binged these...

Dude, if you're gonna garden down in NC, ya might wanna look at videos on fencing, cause the deers will eat yo shit! lol

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
I saw some "organic" seeds at the nursery out here and it kinda surprised me. What makes those seeds more organic than the other seeds? I could google it I guess.

I just assumed all seeds were organic.

Maybe its seeds taken from plants grown from organic farming?

If they are not organic, they are prolly them seeds from Monsanto, that have pesticides mixed in 'em. Go Organic!

OP
OP
Seamajor

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I wish I could grow veggies and herbs. Like tomatoes, peppers, carrots, chard, that sort of thing. The Racoons, iguanas, Blue Js eat it before they get started. Coconuts, limes, avocado is about it. I could make you a fresh cold Rum Coconut cocktail. You might like it. With Tequila works well too

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
I have this nice little maple seedling growing at the moment. So cool!

lg6UleO.jpg