I inquired about a 30 year old Corvette today

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I was at a gas station when I saw an elderly man perhaps 75 or even his 80s cleaning his pristine early 1990s Corvette Convertible. It was sort of a burgundy color

622d7626-b8bc-421c-92e5-7ab6e6e893f6

It was in nice shape, not a scratch or dent on it.
The Old man really took care of his car.

He said he replaced the rims and that it belonged the president of the local Corvette Association but he had to give it up because of a divorce. So this man acquired it.

When I asked him about the price/worth he said $30,000 ($22,000 USD?) and it had 42,000 original miles on it. I suppose it was too expensive for him to continue to hang on to it so he said he could take my number. But I just replied I was just interested in how much the car was worth.

Anyways make a long story short - Corvettes aint cheap. I think Mustangs are cheaper aren't they?

I'm looking at an American vintage car as opposed to a European make because the latter is probably much more expensive to keep up, repair, service and parts/qualified labor are much harder and more expensive to find.

Plus the American vintage cars are likely sturdier more reliable & I guess would break down as much (?).

Perhaps a Mustang is 1/3 or more less than a Corvette?

Swamp-Duck

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I have an aversion to old cars, probably cos my first car was an old banger, you had to start it with a screw driver, when it went round corners it went beeeep, the arguments I got into lol, had to carry water too cos it kept steaming every few miles, the old bill took it off me in the end cos I was only 14.

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
I enjoy luxury cars from the current year or at least within 3 years of the current year

RAVEN

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
My vehicle isn't luxury.. A Jeep Wrangler in like new condition with low miles. I owned 2 old pickup trucks prior and was left stranded by both in the dead of winter on my way home from work. Nope, never again.. too dangerous .

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Don't touch my bike. Wooooooo.
Site Supporter ☠️
I have an aversion to old cars, probably cos my first car was an old banger, you had to start it with a screw driver, when it went round corners it went beeeep, the arguments I got into lol, had to carry water too cos it kept steaming every few miles, the old bill took it off me in the end cos I was only 14.
I witnessed A LOT of those situations going on here

Like a good friend who gave his TV, videogame, computer, two pairs of sneakers, a 200-issue Playboy collection and 2 months of wages when he was 16, to buy some pos 147 Fiat that almost killed him when the front axle got loose.

zWLxW1w.jpeg

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Don't touch my bike. Wooooooo.
Site Supporter ☠️
My vehicle isn't luxury.. A Jeep Wrangler in like new condition with low miles. I owned 2 old pickup trucks prior and was left stranded by both in the dead of winter on my way home from work. Nope, never again.. too dangerous .
Yes, if you have weather like that, you need decent cars.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I was at a gas station when I saw an elderly man perhaps 75 or even his 80s cleaning his pristine early 1990s Corvette Convertible. It was sort of a burgundy color

622d7626-b8bc-421c-92e5-7ab6e6e893f6

It was in nice shape, not a scratch or dent on it.
The Old man really took care of his car.

He said he replaced the rims and that it belonged the president of the local Corvette Association but he had to give it up because of a divorce. So this man acquired it.

When I asked him about the price/worth he said $30,000 ($22,000 USD?) and it had 42,000 original miles on it. I suppose it was too expensive for him to continue to hang on to it so he said he could take my number. But I just replied I was just interested in how much the car was worth.

Anyways make a long story short - Corvettes aint cheap. I think Mustangs are cheaper aren't they?

I'm looking at an American vintage car as opposed to a European make because the latter is probably much more expensive to keep up, repair, service and parts/qualified labor are much harder and more expensive to find.

Plus the American vintage cars are likely sturdier more reliable & I guess would break down as much (?).

Perhaps a Mustang is 1/3 or more less than a Corvette?
Don’t do it. One of the worst Corvettes ever manufactured

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Don’t do it. One of the worst Corvettes ever manufactured
So whats your vintage used car suggestion @Seamajor ?

I was thinking of trying to get a used one for up to $10,000 (wishful thinking?)

Anyway I don’t spend wanna $30,000 on a used car. Just some inexpensive vintage sporty car for the occasional cheap thrills eh. Mainly city driving.

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
this looks like a tonka toy car to you?

_CzTiddg6497nBSnJYEW__SYfvg.jpg
My friend has 1 of those and spends more time in the shop than on the road!

I like older cars that are fast like Purple HAZE - - - - - -

TheHaze

Site Supporter

I was thinking of trying to get a used one for up to $10,000 (wishful thinking?)

Anyway I don’t spend wanna $30,000 on a used car. Just some inexpensive vintage sporty car for the occasional cheap thrills eh. Mainly city driving.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
I have a vintage sports car that I factory-ordered in 2002. A 35th Anniversary 2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28.

I now also own a (virtually) brand new 75th Anniversary 2023 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray.

I prefer Chevy's, but I like all kinds of sports cars.

I was chatting with Breakfall the other day and the Mazda MX5 came up. It is way less powerful than either of my high horsepower sports cars, but it is a great looking and fun performing car.

Coincidentally, I chatted with an MX5 owner just a few weeks prior so I grabbed the video to show Breakfall. I pulled up beside him at a stop light and told the guy his car was nice.

This is it:

TheHaze

Site Supporter
I was chatting with Breakfall the other day and the Mazda MX5 came up. It is way less powerful than either of my high horsepower sports cars, but it is a great looking and fun performing car.

How much HP you talking about? Here is the engine from the Haze and made 1456 HP @ 7600 RPM on the dyno

Hemi1.jpg

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

None are really practical. Worrying about it, storing it, insuring it. Id buy gold coins any day. A newer practical ride is a better way.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
None are really practical. Worrying about it, storing it, insuring it. Id buy gold coins any day. A newer practical ride is a better way.
I have bought my share of gold lately @Seamajor

But I've decided to take a break from this gold buying spree for a while.

Probably wait'll next year then put a down payment for the future & purchase $30,000 of precious metals or so.

Not sure where the economy is headed. At some point I think we're headed for a major crash. When it's becoming increasingly evident that the US gov't & others (like the UK) can't pay its bills doesn't bode well for the future. Major banks going bust too.