San Diego residents move to Mexico because of the cost of living

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
This has been going on for a very long time. Mostly it is Hispanic working poor, retirees, or welfare moochers faking "disability". The wait to get back into the US can often be 3-4 hours long.

The rents are a lot cheaper but crime is much higher. Also young people will have to move when they have kids. Not even Mexicans want their kids to go to schools in Mexico.

Last edited:

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Not only moving to Mexico, but moving to cheaper parts of the country. Some moved here last year, and opened an awesome taco shop, best in town! I went there last night lol.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Not only moving to Mexico, but moving to cheaper parts of the country. Some moved here last year, and opened an awesome taco shop, best in town! I went there last night lol.

Do they make TJ style street tacos?

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter

Do they make TJ style street tacos?

I have not seen those. Never had one of them mini tacos either lol. Im a MAN, I need FULL size tacos!!!

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The point is you can get lots of different ones really cheaply. When I go down there I will order like four different meats or styles, pay $2, then walk down the street to try something else.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Even gas prices are cheaper in Tijuana right now. About $4.50 a gallon vs $5.65 per gallon in San Diego for regular unleaded.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard

It is happening in Canada too.

My wife and I could sell our house, buy a nice 3 bedroom house in Florida, and a nice 3-4 bedroom house in New Brunswick (Canada) with 5+ acres of land, and have $100K left over.

It is such a big decision though, so we are taking it slowly. We are planning to vacation in both NB and Florida over the next 12 months to get an idea if we would like the change.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
The point is you can get lots of different ones really cheaply. When I go down there I will order like four different meats or styles, pay $2, then walk down the street to try something else.

The ones I get, were full size, and only $2.50 a piece til "inflation".

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Basic food prices are way cheaper. 1kg onions (about 3lbs) $0.90, 1kg potatoes $1, fresh fruit does seem to be slightly more expensive, Ground beef 1kg $4.50 (about $1.50 a pound), 1kg cheese $4 (around $1.25 per pound), a loaf of bread $0.40, etc...

Also down there you can get a decent 1 bedroom apartment downtown for $300 a month where as the average cost of a 1 bedroom apartment in San Diego is now $2700 per month.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

The ones I get, were full size, and only $2.50 a piece til "inflation".

Down in TJ they are around $0.50 each. Smaller, but again, that is a feature so you can try a bunch of little places before you get full. Cheap but smaller portions is now people do it down there. Folks might hit up 3-4 different places, you get tacos at one, a seafood cocktail at the next, something more substantial at the third, and finish it off at a dessert place. Then it is time for beers or drinks while listening to live music.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
In the 1980's my parents used to take my sister and I down to Baja for a weekend beach vacation and to try food as well as sight see. Take a horseback ride on the beach; that sort of stuff. That was before NAFTA so the price differences were even greater and you could buy fresh live lobster and crabs, faint ones, for 1\5th the US price, and then the fisherman's wife would cook everything for you right there. Around 2018 my wife and I went down to Esteem Beach Resort, we got a very nice large hotel room right on the beach where you walk out the sliding glass door onto a covered private patio and then right onto the sand for just $75 a night. It was a full resort with everything you'd expect in a medium to higher end resort.

Last edited: