Tesla Self-Driving Car Crashes into a Tree, Killing 2 in Texas

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Except the car isn't self driving. You are supposed to have a hand on a wheel at all times and if you don't touch the wheel once every 60 seconds it pulls over. Yet this car had no one in the driver's seat so it seems to safety system had been bypassed some how.

It sounds like one of the two guys in the car was a techie who thought it was smart to mess with the safety systems. They found out too late it was there for a reason.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
A week ago Tesla did release a beta update but there were a whole lot of safety warnings to not let it drive itself.

BTW Shelby Church is such a little tomboy. I bet she cleans up well though.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
This whole lifestyle seems weird to me. Renting a bedroom with four other people for $2500 per month. By the time I was 26 I had bought a house in San Diego and did rent out the three spare rooms but for that I got $1900 a month and my mortgage with HOA, taxes, and full interest payment was like $2350. When my then girlfriend moved in I got rid of two of the renters and just kept a good friend whom I had known for 20 years (he got engaged and mo:Ed out a year later).

Having five people each paying around $2500 per month is just an absurd amount for rent even in California.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Tesla is the only one which is even close and even it requires a human to be in the seat and to periodically touch the steering wheel. The sole exception is in valet mod which is limited to five mph and not being on a public street (so you need to be in a private parking lot). Trust me, I have lots of friends and neighbors with Teslas though I will never buy one.

I prefer to invest in assets which go up in value instead of down in value and cars, at least in general, go down, classics are really the only ones which go up and it is impossible to tell which ones will explode in popularity. 10 years ago you could buy a vintage Jeep Grand Wagooneer for $5000 for a mint restore and now they are $75,000 but that is a fluke.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I flip off Tesla drivers and Prius drivers...

No reason for that as they are nice cars. My brother in law bought a model S and he let me drive it, I also test drove a model 3. There are a good 12 or so in my neighborhood and it is impossible to go to school functions for the kids, or swim lessons, or even just the local mall without running into an owner who gushes about them.

I guess I got burned on expensive cars at age 23 when fresh out of college with my first really good paying job I decided to buy a new BMW. Not only was the car itself too expensive but as soon as the warranty ran out there were really big repair bills. Even the tires cost thousand and lots of plastic parts and sensors failed, all of which had to come from Germany, all of which seemed to cost between $400-$800 each. So I sold it and since then have either owned mostly Japanese cars (the exception was two cheap used Ford Rangers I used for work and beat the shit out of because they cost virtually nothing so who cared?).

I decided it was far better to cut expensive stuff out of my life, get what I needed instead of what I wanted, and invest the difference. 20 years later I am far better off having made that decision.

Last edited:

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

No reason for that as they are nice cars. My brother in law bought a model S and he let me drive it, I also test drove a model 3. There are a good 12 or so in my neighborhood and it is impossible to go to school functions for the kids, or swim lessons, or even just the local mall without running into an owner who gushes about them.

I guess I got burned on expensive cars at age 23 when fresh out of college with my first really good paying job I decided to buy a new BMW. Not only was the car itself too expensive but as soon as the warranty ran out there were really big repair bills. Even the tires cost thousand and lots of plastic parts and sensors failed, all of which had to come from Germany, all of which seemed to cost between $400-$800 each. So I sold it and since then have either owned mostly Japanese cars (the exception was two cheap used Ford Rangers I used for work and beat the shit out of because they cost virtually nothing so who cared?).

I decided it was far better to cut expensive stuff out of my life, get what I needed instead of what I wanted, and invest the difference. 20 years later I am far better off having made that decision.

Electric cars are shit and the owners are deluded wankers.

Die, die, die!

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I have a feeling a lot of bad reporters are going to be printing retraction or face getting sued. Rightly so too.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Die, die, die!

So you missed the part where I chose not to waste my money on expensive cars? Deciding to forgo wants in order to focus on needs and investing the difference is why I have a paid off house and three rental houses in my early 40's. Lotusbud likes to pretend well off people are evil and some how stole what they have where as in reality most of us made decisions to work hard, save money for the future, denying ourselves things we wanted which weren't necessary. By any measure an $85,000 car isn't necessary especially when a Toyota Camry works just as well.

I wish people like Lotusbud would read books like the millionaire next door because that describes the vast majority of millionaires in the US. It is a mind set and anyone can do it but they have to commit themselves to a life style.

Last edited:

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
Tesla is the only one which is even close and even it requires a human to be in the seat and to periodically touch the steering wheel. The sole exception is in valet mod which is limited to five mph and not being on a public street (so you need to be in a private parking lot). Trust me, I have lots of friends and neighbors with Teslas though I will never buy one.

I prefer to invest in assets which go up in value instead of down in value and cars, at least in general, go down, classics are really the only ones which go up and it is impossible to tell which ones will explode in popularity. 10 years ago you could buy a vintage Jeep Grand Wagooneer for $5000 for a mint restore and now they are $75,000 but that is a fluke.
‘95 Maserati appreciates in value! Yeeeeeeah baby!

images

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

Die, die, die!

So you missed the part where I chose not to waste my money on expensive cars? Deciding to forgo wants in order to focus on needs and investing the difference is why I have a paid off house and three rental houses in my early 40's. Lotusbud likes to pretend well off people are evil and some how stole what they had where as in reality most of us made decisions to work hard, save money for the future, denying ourselves things we wanted which weren't necessary. By any measure an $85,000 car isn't necessary especially when a Toyota Camry works just as well.
You need to have a root Ogdin. Yoo seem toey?!
:Whatevr3:

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I can understand that and escapism is a good reason for a forum. As good as any. I do believe most of the west is pretty sick right now and that is without mentioning anything political so it is hard not to mention it sometimes. I look at my neighbors and most of them are in debt up to their eyeballs not because they have to be but because they choose to be. Most of them owe between $500,000 to $1 million on a mortgage, they have two cars often over $50,000 each, they are in their 40's yet still paying off student debt from 20 years ago or more, they charge up credit cards to buy useless over priced shit which is out of style in a year, and they are always piling on more debt instead of reducing their lifestyles to pay off their old debt.

That is not how people used to live yet now most of us think it is the only way to live. It just seems so ass backwards.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

images
eeww so thats a mazerati? i thought they were all cool and sporty :/

how many needle-dicked dorky homosexuals can fit in it? :Whaa?:

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

I'm grateful they didn't kill any innocent bystanders. Self-driving cars are a menace to society.

How would you know? There literally are no self driving cars on the road.

There have been plenty of self-driving cars on the road. Did you just wake up from a long nap?

How did a self-driving car crash if there are literally none on the road?

They were testing them all over LA, and there were quite a few crashes. Do you think Musk has suddenly stopped doing that? Do you live under a rock?

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

images
eeww so thats a mazerati? i thought they were all cool and sporty :/

how many needle-dicked dorky homosexuals can fit in it? :Whaa?:
Square lines and durability is making a comeback. The tinny bubble cars of today would never stand the test of time. Depreciation all the way.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

I'm grateful they didn't kill any innocent bystanders. Self-driving cars are a menace to society.

There have been plenty of self-driving cars on the road. Did you just wake up from a long nap?

They were testing them all over LA, and there were quite a few crashes. Do you think Musk has suddenly stopped doing that? Do you live under a rock?

Oi...go tie up your piss flaps daucus. This is no thread for the likes of your fickle kind! Yuck.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

listen 2 lotus, she teaches drivers ed, aka 'the bumper cars'

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Die, die, die!

So you missed the part where I chose not to waste my money on expensive cars? Deciding to forgo wants in order to focus on needs and investing the difference is why I have a paid off house and three rental houses in my early 40's. Lotusbud likes to pretend well off people are evil and some how stole what they have where as in reality most of us made decisions to work hard, save money for the future, denying ourselves things we wanted which weren't necessary. By any measure an $85,000 car isn't necessary especially when a Toyota Camry works just as well.

I wish people like Lotusbud would read books like the millionaire next door because that describes the vast majority of millionaires in the US. It is a mind set and anyone can do it but they have to commit themselves to a life style.

You don't understand anything I say, ever. I never said I had an issue with millionaires. You cannot find one post where I said any such thing.

I have an issue with two things: People who think money makes them somehow better than others, and corporations and individuals that exploit the labor pool. I believe people who work for a living should be paid a fair wage and no one should get rich off of exploiting people. I never once said no one should be a millionaire. I do, however, believe no one in the world needs a billion dollars.

Stop being a pea brain and accusing me of things I never said and don't believe.