The War of Northern Aggression

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
I can tell some of y'all are craving some History lessons :GiggleBitch:

@Oerdin this post is for you.....

Fort Sumter....

Most accounts contend that the war started when South Carolina fired upon Fort Sumpter on April 12, 1861 even though the Union troops were warned in advance and there were no casualties.

South Carolina had peacefully succeeded on December 20, 1860 and immediately sent commissioners to Washington to negotiate terms for returning the then unmanned, Fort Sumpter. The terms would have included compensation for fortification improvements made by the federal government. Those improvements were made to the original South Carolina property that was ceded to the Union in 1828 for the purpose of defending the state. Then president, James Buchanan, did not officially receive the commissioners but Abraham Lincoln acknowledged the negotiations in an overstated comment during his second inaugural address. He said, regarding Washington, that: "Urgent agents were in the city seeking to destroy it without war–seeking to dissolve the Union and divide effects by negotiation"

For those who have never been there, Fort Sumpter is on an island in the middle of the inner harbor of Charleston. Political historians consistently ignore that once South Carolina succeeded; Fort Sumpter had no value to the Union but was critical to South Carolina in defending the city.

On December 27, 1860, Union Colonel Robert Anderson secretly moved his troops into Fort Sumter from Fort Moultrie. He feared that he could not defend Fort Moultrie against any potential attack as easily he could defend Fort Sumpter. Colonel Anderson, his garrison in South Carolina and their families were friends with, respected by, and partially supplied by families of the people of Charleston. Confederate General, P.G.T. Beauregard was the former student and teaching assistant of Colonel Anderson.

The move increased tensions in South Carolinians who believed that they were trying to negotiate in good faith for the return of the fort. Tensions further escalated when then president, James Buchanan, attempted once to reinforce the fort. South Carolina batteries fired at the supply ship, Star of the West, on January 9, 1861 and turned it back without casualties. Colonel Anderson believed that he would be ordered to evacuate the fort soon just as other Union forts were evacuated in other southern states such as Texas. He did not engage his guns at Fort Sumpter so as not to escalate the conflict further.

President Buchanan negotiated an agreement primarily with South Carolina legislators in the U.S. Congress that he would not reinforce or make any changes regarding forts there and the state would ensure that they would maintain the peace. That agreement continued through the remainder of Buchanan’s presidency and Lincoln’s first month in office.

On April 4, 1861, Abraham Lincoln personally insisted on reinforcing the fort in spite of the fact that General Winfield Scott had drawn up the evacuation orders. Colonel Anderson was also emphatic in correspondence that resupply efforts would fail because it would have to be repeated regularly and the supplies would have to be rowed to the fort and thus be vulnerable to any potential South Carolina fire.

But President Lincoln issued an order that day for a joint naval and civilian to send supplies and reinforcements to the fort. The expedition designated three vessels including the warship, USS Pawnee. For the civilian part of the expedition he relied upon, Gustavus Fox, the brother -"in-law of Postmaster General, Montgomery Blair. Blair was a co-founder of the Republican Party and his father edited the Washington Globe. He was by far the most outspoken person in the Lincoln cabinet in advocating the use of military force to prevent succession and his family stood to lose considerable prestige if southern states succeeded.

When South Carolina discovered the reinforcement effort was in progress, General Beauregard dispatched three aides on April 11 to request an immediate surrender of the fort. Colonel Anderson had received messages from Washington officials that the fort would be evacuated anyway and he offered to surrender the fort as soon as his supplies ran out which would be three more days.

Since South Carolina did not have adequate naval capabilities to fight the U.S.S. Pawnee and prevent Lincoln from reinforcing the fort, General Beauregard had no choice but to fire on the fort on April 12 to force Anderson and his garrison out just before supplies and reinforcements arrived that day.

Colonel Anderson surrendered his troops in 24 hours without a single casualty. South Carolina facilitated the return of the troops to the union and even allowed them to fire salutes to the union when evacuating. While some mention that Union soldiers died at Fort Sumpter, historians unanimously agree that Private Daniel Hough and Private Ed Gallaway died in a salute firing accident upon evacuation.

In just a few days Lincoln’s action had triggered, the immediate succession of Virginia, Tennessee and Arkansas. North Carolina followed in about two weeks. Officials of these states were in discussions with Secretary of State, William Seward, a former New York Senator, who narrowly lost the Republican nomination to Lincoln. He had worked continuously for compromises to avoid conflicts and convinced them, based on his own belief, that Lincoln would never take such an unnecessary action. After Seward was proven wrong, state officials who attended secession conventions realized that Lincoln would implement an agenda of federal supremacy that they believed was detrimental to the citizens.

Virginia Unionist, John Baldwin, personally warned Abraham Lincoln that Virginia would succeed from the Union within 48 hours if he attempted to reinforce Southern forts. At an April 17, 1861 succession convention, Virginia, one of the most powerful, populous and economically diverse states at the time, overwhelmingly voted to succeed just weeks after voting by a two to one margin to stay in the Union.

The shelling of Fort Sumpter caused virtually no casualties and both military leaders did all they could to minimize the conflict. However, some of the northern newspapers favored the new Whig based Republican platform and stood to benefit in prestige and power from it. These newspapers led some Northerners to believe that the conflict meant that the union was being threatened. This generated a false sense of patriotism and some temporary public support for military retaliation.

On April 15, 1861, Abraham Lincoln then issued a proclamation that stated: "The laws of the United States have been and are opposed in several States by combinations too powerful to be suppressed in the ordinary way, I therefore call for the militia of the several States of the Union, to the aggregate number of 75,000, to suppress said combination and execute the laws"

The war then actually started on July 18, 1861, when Abraham Lincoln, against the will of General Scott and his military advisers, decided to invade Virginia. That state was actually a Union member at the time of the Fort Sumpter conflict. At the first battle of Bull Run in Manassas, there were over 4,000 casualties, the majority falling on the Union side.

OP
OP
Blazor

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
@Oerdin I am American by birth, but Southern by the grace of God. My ancestors all fought for this country. I love this country. But you need to understand, you were taught wrong in school. Thats ok, I was too. But I learned the truth, and Im here to help you with that.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
You are still a lying piece of shit. The south attacked first and U.S. Grant was correct when he said your cause as the worst the world had ever seen. Own that shit bitch, just as you need to own your humiliating defeat. Your mouth wrote checks your ass couldn't cash.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
You are still a lying piece of shit. The south attacked first and U.S. Grant was correct when he said your cause as the worst the world had ever seen. Own that shit bitch, just as you need to own your humiliating defeat. Your mouth wrote checks your ass couldn't cash.
any event, Interesting War & Times @Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
On a much better note. God save the king. God save us all.

OP
OP
Blazor

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter

Wow, so hostile when I try and have a civil discussion with you. You're not usually like this.

Well then, perhaps you should sail on back to England and suck the Queens crusty cunt.... traitor.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
The Confederate army was a joke from the get go. A bunch of puffed up fools taking a stab at war. We all know the out come. Say good by to Tera, and most of the Confederacy. The smart Southerners went west to the gold fields in the golden and silver states.

OP
OP
Blazor

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
The Confederate army was a joke from the get go. A bunch of puffed up fools taking a stab at war. We all know the out come. Say good by to Tera, and most of the Confederacy. The smart Southerners went west to the gold fields in the golden and silver states.

You on the other hand, I know there is no civil discussion with. So Im not wasting my time filling you with facts.

Oerdin, and yourself, are victims of the government indoctrination centers. Its ok, I was there once too. One must learn the truth outside of those centers.

Thus, here I am, to enlighten y'all, and gift you with true Southern History.

E9A7BB1A-BFFD-4603-B997-B555C7D80400.gif

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
You on the other hand, I know there is no civil discussion with. So Im not wasting my time filling you with facts.

Oerdin, and yourself, are victims of the government indoctrination centers. Its ok, I was there once too. One must learn the truth outside of those centers.

Thus, here I am, to enlighten y'all, and gift you with true Southern History.

E9A7BB1A-BFFD-4603-B997-B555C7D80400.gif

It’s was about failure from the get go. What are you trying to preserve?

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I’m happy to read about documented truths. Your opinion, not so much. Fair enough?

OP
OP
Blazor

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
It’s was about failure from the get go. What are you trying to preserve?

The States legally seceded, it was all peaceful. Lincolns own actions brought about the war. An illegal one at that.

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
I’m happy to read about documented truths. Your opinion, not so much. Fair enough?
What about the documented truth in general where a picture of a dude was posted and you got all excited

Wanna read about that?

OP
OP
Blazor

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter

You obviously didnt take the time to read it.

I read your links that you didnt bother to read either. Mostly shitty links, especially the last one. There are "some" sprinkling of truths in the 1st and 2nd link.

Do you even know why the States seceded? @Oerdin do you? Im willing to bet Oerdin didnt read the OP either.