Why nice people become jerks online

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
Of course when I'm out and about I don't hear people flinging insult after insult at each other. When I visit this forum it's a completely different arena. People turn into, assuming they aren't jerks already, jerks on the internet.

So why do you keep coming back to BF ?

5499-D780-8142-4-E93-A2-C6-6518905-D22-B8-jpeg.jpg

Q

Dictator of the Bastard Factory
Banned
"What is weird is that day to day, my neighborhood is a pretty friendly place. People do not go around screaming hateful things at their neighbors. So why would all these decent people be so unneighborly online?"

"The thing that always surprises me when I read comments online is just how mean people are to one another with very little provocation. You don't see vicious arguments breaking out in real life, even among people who disagree. Does this suggest that online communication functions differently than a face-to-face conversation?"

"It's not that it functions differently, it's just that the context is a little different. What we're doing when we're having an online conversation is everything that we're doing or having a conversation face-to-face minus some of the critically important things of being around other people."

Source:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
Interesting....