Words and phrases that you hate.

Scooter

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Yeah, I looked it up to support my claim and that's all I see. :Burn:

@Lily of Denial, how would you pronounce queue the first time you ever saw it and never heard it?

Garraty_47

Mutants Rule!
Site Supporter
I used to mispronounce awry as "aww-ree" until a gal I was dating handed me a clue.

I'd only ever seen it in print and knew exactly what it meant, I'd just never heard it spoken before.

We had a good laugh over it and it still makes me chuckle sometimes.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I used to mispronounce awry as "aww-ree" until a gal I was dating handed me a clue.

I'd only ever seen it in print and knew exactly what it meant, I'd just never heard it spoken before.

Me too!

I don't poke fun at people for mispronouncing things either. Most of the time they learned them by reading them.

Scooter

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I was just wondering. I DO have a history of mispronouncing words. I see how they're spelled through reading but I never heard them spoken.

* ethereal was a word I didn't know how to pronounce until a friend corrected me. I knew the meaning of the word but I didn't know how to say it right.

Garraty_47

Mutants Rule!
Site Supporter
Me too!

I don't poke fun at people for mispronouncing things either. Most of the time they learned them by reading them.

I have to admit though- after that I got more careful about looking up pronunciations as well as definitions when I encountered a new word. Not that I minded being corrected, it was legit a fun experience, but ya never know when the next time could be a lot more embarrassing.

cw_

> you
Site Supporter ☠️

qoZHxwd.jpg

cw_

> you
Site Supporter ☠️
I was just wondering. I DO have a history of mispronouncing words. I see how they're spelled through reading but I never heard them spoken.

* ethereal was a word I didn't know how to pronounce until a friend corrected me. I knew the meaning of the word but I didn't know how to say it right.
Spoken words can be misheard. Ex. Song lyric 'Ghost riders in the sky' was misheard by my daughter when she was a sprout as 'Old spiders in the sky'.

Scooter

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
@cw, don't get me started on misheard song lyrics. (or song lyrics that I made up in my head)
:PuffPuffPass:

Dracula

Impaler
I'm not an etymologist, I've never taken a course in the history of words, and I even had to Google how to spell etymologist, however, I am 93% certain that the phrase "luncheon meat" was invented by Hitler.

I don't like it, I don't like it one bit.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
If your parents didn’t use the word “galavanting” did you even run the streets?

I've heard galavanting.

I also was accused of "running the streets" and when I was dating my man back in 99 I was "laying all over town with that man".

And it was true I was certainly out galavanting and running the streets and laying all over town with this here man.