Australia is a country full of criminals

Q

Dictator of the Bastard Factory
Banned
Australia was seen as the ideal place to empty Britain's overcrowded prisons. At that time, the banishment of prisoners was the solution to this space problem. Australia seemed ideal as a penal colony because of its remoteness from the rest of the world.

On May 13, 1787, the first eleven ships left for the new colony with 600 sailors and soldiers on board and 568 male criminals, 191 women and 13 children. A year later, on January 26, 1788, they came ashore and the British flag was hoisted at a spot now called Port Jackson - just above Sydney. Today this day is still celebrated every year on January 26 as Australia Day. Captain Arthur Philip then became Australia's first governor.

The first years of the new British colony had various problems with, among others, the original inhabitants of Australia, the Aborigines. Australia was an uninhabited country for the British. They called it "Terra Nullius", which means empty land and therefore belonged to nobody. This is of course untrue, because the country actually belongs to the Aborigines.

The British were ruthless towards the Aboriginal people and expelled them from their land or killed them. But the new land itself was also difficult to inhabit at first due to lack of food and the confrontation with the flora and fauna unknown to the British. The ex-prisoners were put to work as forced laborers to cultivate the land.

Members of the newly formed New South Wales Corps were tasked with ensuring that everything went smoothly. However, this got quite out of hand. The Corps was more involved in a lucrative liquor business led by John Macarthur.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The main reason Australia was colonized when it was was was because of the American revolution. Georgia started out as a penal colony specifically because the British wanted to prevent Spain claiming land to the north of Florida but no one wanted to live in coastal Georgia because the region is pretty much one big swamp filled with malaria. As they couldn’t find any colonists who would settle there willingly the British decided to fill it with people who couldn’t say no. Namely, prisoners.

All of the America colonies took prisoners though as it was a cost effective way to increase population and labor supply. After the revolution prisoners started piling up in British jails thus why the government decide to finance expeditions to try to find some place new to send them all. Ultimately, they settled on Australia.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Yes, British settlers could be ruthless to the aboriginal groups but just like in the Americas disease killed most of them, certainly far more than settlers ever killed. Try reading Guns, Germs, and Steal for why that was.

Swamp-Duck

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Well max you surpassed your own bollockness with this one, show me one place on Earth that’s crime free ? Every country is full of criminals...

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
Australia was seen as the ideal place to empty Britain's overcrowded prisons. At that time, the banishment of prisoners was the solution to this space problem. Australia seemed ideal as a penal colony because of its remoteness from the rest of the world.

On May 13, 1787, the first eleven ships left for the new colony with 600 sailors and soldiers on board and 568 male criminals, 191 women and 13 children. A year later, on January 26, 1788, they came ashore and the British flag was hoisted at a spot now called Port Jackson - just above Sydney. Today this day is still celebrated every year on January 26 as Australia Day. Captain Arthur Philip then became Australia's first governor.

The first years of the new British colony had various problems with, among others, the original inhabitants of Australia, the Aborigines. Australia was an uninhabited country for the British. They called it "Terra Nullius", which means empty land and therefore belonged to nobody. This is of course untrue, because the country actually belongs to the Aborigines.

The British were ruthless towards the Aboriginal people and expelled them from their land or killed them. But the new land itself was also difficult to inhabit at first due to lack of food and the confrontation with the flora and fauna unknown to the British. The ex-prisoners were put to work as forced laborers to cultivate the land.

Members of the newly formed New South Wales Corps were tasked with ensuring that everything went smoothly. However, this got quite out of hand. The Corps was more involved in a lucrative liquor business led by John Macarthur.
Are you an illegal immigrant by any chance maximumpad? My grandmother was from the Netherlands, her family lineage goes back to an important general in WW1. I know quite a few other Dutch people as well...and you don’t walk the walk or talk the talk. Jy verstaan?

OP
OP
Q

Q

Dictator of the Bastard Factory
Banned
Are you an illegal immigrant by any chance maximumpad? My grandmother was from the Netherlands, her family lineage goes back to an important general in WW1. I know quite a few other Dutch people as well...and you don’t walk the walk or talk the talk. Jy verstaan?

In West Netherlands, born and raised
On the playground was where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
And all shootin some soccer ball outside of the school

When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom said 'Goddamn!'
'You're now movin' into Amsterdam'

Does that answer the question? :rightON:

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

In West Netherlands, born and raised
On the playground was where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
And all shootin some soccer ball outside of the school

When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom said 'Goddamn!'
'You're now movin' into Amsterdam'

Does that answer the question? :rightON:
No it doesn’t. I’m convinced you’re of middle-eastern decent.