Can your home, property withstand a natural catastrophe?

Carignan

Factory Bastard
1. Naw
2. No
3. Nope
If it kills me.. it was meant to be. If I were sleeping as it happens.. it was all a dream. If awake and see it coming supreme thrill of a lifetime. Life has always been good even in the worst of times. The end.

OP
OP
Seamajor

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
In 2012 there was a 7.6 magnitude earth quake here. I thought it was the end. I was consulting on the small hotel project. The workers freaked out. I raced home expecting the worse. 1/4 of the water sloshed out of my pool.the house was fine. Since then I’ve re enforced a few things, just in case. Wood framed structures in Florida are accidents waiting to happen.

OP
OP
Seamajor

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
1. Naw
2. No
3. Nope
If it kills me.. it was meant to be. If I were sleeping as it happens.. it was all a dream. If awake and see it coming supreme thrill of a lifetime. Life has always been good even in the worst of times. The end.

Reality can be such a fucker. Remember the Boy Scout motto?

OP
OP
Seamajor

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Weather related damage can be as bad as any earth quake

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The only natural disaster likely to occur in my area is an earthquake and the building code has been quite strict since at least the 1930's.

OP
OP
Seamajor

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Actually Stumpy my home is built of concrete, concrete black rebar, a Mexican tile roof. Tile floors throughout. We don’t get hurricanes, and it’s survived a 7.6 quake. A rather beautiful home and gardens.

OP
OP
Seamajor

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
The only natural disaster likely to occur in my area is an earthquake and the building code has been quite strict since at least the 1930's.

Codes in California are very strict, related to earthquakes

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
My 4300sq ft home is constructed of brick and rebar. It will withstand almost anything short of a full earthquake or other extreme disaster

the Gazebo which encloses the 8 person spa, the pool area and probably the roof might not do as well under a cat 4 and above storm though.

But that's why I pay 5000.00 on my property insurance

OP
OP
Seamajor

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
My 4300sq ft home is constructed of brick and rebar. It will withstand almost anything short of a full earthquake or other extreme disaster

the Gazebo which encloses the 8 person spa, the pool area and probably the roof might not do as well under a cat 4 and above storm though.

Love to see a photo. Naturally home owners insurance is high in FloriDUH

OP
OP
Seamajor

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

More than likely the bricks you speak of are not re enforced like concretely block. Probably used as a facade to wood framing. As you can see there is ample space in block for rebar and concrete, which ties the structure together. The corners are super important. It is also important that each course is staggered, adding to the strength

OP
OP
Seamajor

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

No photo Stumpy? You seem to be confused about the usage of Brick vs Block.