Do Americans Know How Close They Actually Came To Flattening Their Entire East Coast?

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
One of many nail biters. It's true it was covered up at the time but my dad's college roommate served at SuckJaws AFB for several years in the early seventies and he knew about it from the rumor mill. Pop told me the story when I was in high school. By then there had been some other nuke hair raisers that were more common knowledge.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I stayed up way too late last night reading about all the various nuke fuck ups we've had. Seems like flying live nukes around the planet was a real bad fukin idea.

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
I stayed up way too late last night reading about all the various nuke fuck ups we've had. Seems like flying live nukes around the planet was a real bad fukin idea.
Didja read about the one we shot into space but the launch vehicle failed? It was a long distance explorer fueled by a plutonium reactor. Ended up dumping a couple of kilos of plutonium into the Atlantic, fairly near the coast, but no one could identify exactly where. I think it was in the sixties too.