Electric Guitar: What are the 5 most important parts of a guitar to create "Tone"

Reggie_Essent

An Claidheam Anam
I will always argue tone woods. But then, I am strictly acoustic. I have an electric and sometimes plug it in to bang out some power chords, but I can never get quite the tone my Muse likes no mater how hard I fiddle with the dials on the amplifier.

And an acoustic guitar should always be solid wood, never laminates and most certainly never some kind of salad bowl plastic or composites. That's fucking sacrilegious.

OP
OP
Admin.

Admin.

"Brother, can you spare a dime?" Trump
Site Supporter ☠️
I will always argue tone woods. But then, I am strictly acoustic. I have an electric and sometimes plug it in to bang out some power chords, but I can never get quite the tone my Muse likes no mater how hard I fiddle with the dials on the amplifier.

And an acoustic guitar should always be solid wood, never laminates and most certainly never some kind of salad bowl plastic or composites. That's fucking sacrilegious.
Did you watch this video? If not, do, or at least the last part of it. But it's only 10 min. And Yes, he is only talking Electric Guitar.

Reggie_Essent

An Claidheam Anam

Did you watch this video? If not, do, or at least the last part of it. But it's only 10 min. And Yes, he is only talking Electric Guitar.

I'll put it on my list. The only electric I've enjoyed playing is this hollow bodied Gretsch a friend of mine owns. But when I sit down with any electric, I end up spending moar time fiddling with the dials than following the sound. It's like when you sit down to find something to stream on television and end up spending half the night scrolling through all the choices.

OP
OP
Admin.

Admin.

"Brother, can you spare a dime?" Trump
Site Supporter ☠️

I'll put it on my list. The only electric I've enjoyed playing is this hollow bodied Gretsch a friend of mine owns. But when I sit down with any electric, I end up spending moar time fiddling with the dials than following the sound. It's like when you sit down to find something to stream on television and end up spending half the night scrolling through all the choices.
I was starting to geek out on all the pedals available to run after these basses preamp, I don't really even know how to play yet, then I saw this video...it's a Signature Bass named for Joe Dart, the bassist in a Youtube, Band and I think regionally famous band, made up of "Band Geeks" called "Vulfpeck" (?, i think) but they put out a natural finish bass with only a vol. knob, no tone, nothing else. "It's versatile, you're not versatile" is one of the pitch lines.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
I play the fiddle, I have no interest in...... electric instruments. At least "playing" wise.

X

xXx
Site Supporter
fiddleist get the fella's geetarists get the womenz blazey

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
Interesting thread.

The most important single thing is definitely the amp. Cause when you plug in and turn up, yer not playing a guitar any more, yer playing the amp.

I'll have to get back to this when I have more time.

And like Reggie, I'm not an electric guitar player although I've worked on loads of them. I understand acoustic instruments a lot better, I'm an analog guy at heart.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
I have several different electric guitars with different body shapes and thicknesses and neck radius. When I have not played one for a while, it can take me a bit of time to get used to it again.

Seeing this video makes me think it would be a good idea use the most comfortable (to play) body and neck with a number of guitars and just use different pickups. Different pickups definitely produce different tones.

DDT

Factory Bastard
There is no 'right or wrong way' with guitar, or any musical instrument for that matter, unless you are trying to emulate someone else exactly.

Go for the sound you like. I personally run a Telecaster through a Vox tube amp. That said, I'd also be happy running a Strat through a Marshall, or a Gretsch through a Fender tube amp. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day! Pickups are easily changed also.

For a beginner it will make no difference... A $200 guitar/amp combo is enough to learn on, and a pro could even make that sound good!

Ask yourself, what is the sound that you're looking for, and go from there!