I'm making Sauerbraten today, ya heathens

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
...with red cabbage and potato dumplings. I use a four day marinade.

Why, you ask, on the blessed Saint Patrick's day, do I make a German recipe??

Well, first off, the REAL IRISH don't make corned beef & cabbage on this day. They make Irish stew, which of course THEY just call "STEW." After all, they're Irish so of course it's Irish stew but who needs to point that out?

But here in the US, millions of assholes (who will not be attending Mass and couldn't in a million years tell you who the OTHER TWO patron saints of Ireland are) will be wearing the green, wanting girls to kiss them cause they're Irish, and will drink alcohol to the point of having to call in sick tomorrow to work, and OF COURSE they will be eating some corned beef even if it takes the form of a Reuben sammich from a fast-food joint.

So I ain't doing that. I think Patrick of Ireland was a most excellent figure in history, myth, religion and culture, and I'll respect his memory by eating the cuisine of my OWN grandparents and leaving the Fake Irish bullshit to the more "deplorable" Americans.

I hope that doesn't include YOU, dear reader.

german-roast-pot-sauerbraten-served-with-potato-dumplings-and-red-cabbage-close-up-on-a-plate-vertical-top-view-from-above-PT8KX1.jpg

OP
OP
Levon

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
Meanwhile, my respects to St. Patrick

I bind unto myself today
The virtues of the starlit heaven,
The glorious sun's life-giving ray,
The whiteness of the moon at even,
The flashing of the lightning free,
The whirling wind's tempestuous shocks,
The stable earth, the deep salt sea,
Around the old eternal rocks.

~~ from "St. Patrick's Breastplate," a much longer prayer (lorica)often attributed to the saint himself. (translation from Old Irish by Cecil Alexander, 1889)

Admin.

The Flying Fickle Finger Of Fate.
Site Supporter ☠️
I've never attempted Sauerbraten, but I have made Rouladen a few times, and you reminded me how long it's been since I have....
Rouladen-4.jpg

Not today tho, maybe Sunday.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I'll be making a corned beef in the Instant Pot. Dont know if I'm doing boiled cabbage or fried with onions and bacon.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
...with red cabbage and potato dumplings. I use a four day marinade.

Why, you ask, on the blessed Saint Patrick's day, do I make a German recipe??

Well, first off, the REAL IRISH don't make corned beef & cabbage on this day. They make Irish stew, which of course THEY just call "STEW." After all, they're Irish so of course it's Irish stew but who needs to point that out?

But here in the US, millions of assholes (who will not be attending Mass and couldn't in a million years tell you who the OTHER TWO patron saints of Ireland are) will be wearing the green, wanting girls to kiss them cause they're Irish, and will drink alcohol to the point of having to call in sick tomorrow to work, and OF COURSE they will be eating some corned beef even if it takes the form of a Reuben sammich from a fast-food joint.

So I ain't doing that. I think Patrick of Ireland was a most excellent figure in history, myth, religion and culture, and I'll respect his memory by eating the cuisine of my OWN grandparents and leaving the Fake Irish bullshit to the more "deplorable" Americans.

I hope that doesn't include YOU, dear reader.

german-roast-pot-sauerbraten-served-with-potato-dumplings-and-red-cabbage-close-up-on-a-plate-vertical-top-view-from-above-PT8KX1.jpg

tangentially related to your OP

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!