Medical marijuana costs too much for Pa. mom.

Iggy McLulz

Fucking Delightful
Site Supporter ☠️
Medical marijuana costs too much for Pa. mom who fought for her daughter’s epilepsy treatment
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, Posted: 21 hours ago
Louann Speese-Stanley spent years advocating for a medical marijuana program in Pennsylvania that could offer relief to her daughter, Diana, and other sick children for whom traditional medications have not worked.

But now that the program is finally up and running, the treatment Speese-Stanley fought so hard to make accessible is still out of reach for her daughter.
RELATED STORIES

Speese-Stanley is a single mother of five in Grantham, a small town in Cumberland County. She cannot work outside the home because she is the full-time caregiver for Diana, 21, who has a severe form of epilepsy. In addition to Diana, two teenage daughters live at home, and the family barely scrapes by.
"I'm very happy we did this," Speese-Stanley, 59, said of advocating for the medical marijuana program, "but I'm very sad for my daughter."

Medical marijuana programs in Pennsylvania and New Jersey have opened up a new realm of possible treatment for patients with chronic pain, cancer and neurological disorders. There is
on medical marijuana's effectiveness, in large part because of problems with studying a banned substance. But federal regulators recently approved an epilepsy drug with an active ingredient derived from marijuana, and anecdotally, patients report cannabis has helped them manage a range of conditions.
But even as marijuana gains medical and political acceptance in more states, it is still illegal under federal law and not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, which means it's not covered by insurance. That means patients who want the treatment must pay for it out of pocket, so those who can't afford it — like Speese-Stanley's daughter — go without.
An Inquirer reader asked about the problem through
, our forum for issues in need of further examination.
"So many patients have been impoverished by their illness — they may be on Social Security and surviving on $15,000 a year. To spend that amount of money for medical marijuana really becomes an unworkable situation," said Ken Wolski, executive director of Coalition for Medical Marijuana New Jersey, a patient advocacy group.

In New Jersey, where medical marijuana has been legal since 2010, a gram of flower, the plant product most people associate with marijuana, costs about $15.
Pennsylvania legalized medical marijuana in processed forms, such as oils, in 2016, and earlier this year opened sales of flower, which costs between $10 and $15 for a gram. A month's supply could cost hundreds of dollars.
Growers, processors and dispensary owners say they are aware of the financial challenges their patients face and hope that as the business matures prices will come down.
For now, marijuana prices reflect the high startup costs of breaking into an industry with more hurdles — due to the federal ban — than traditional businesses, said Mike Whiter, activist and video producer on marijuana topics for Now This, a news site.

State regulation adds to the administrative burden. Every package sold must be labeled with tracking codes, marketing and any
must be approved by state regulators.
Whiter said prices can be higher than what's sold illegally on the street, but so is the quality.
"I think it is somewhat cost prohibitive, but I think safe access makes it somewhat worth it being a little more expensive," he said.
‘Get creative’
Discounts available at some dispensaries can help – if you qualify.

At Curaleaf in Bellmawr, N.J., discounts range from 20 percent to 40 percent for veterans, children and patients who have proof of receiving Social Security or disability benefits, said President George Schidlovsky.
Restore, in Philadelphia's Fishtown neighborhood, gives a 20 percent discount to veterans, seniors, and patients who receive Social Security benefits, said Rob Stanley, the dispensary manager. "It's important to us because we want to make sure the people who need the medication get it," he said.
Patients who don't quality for discounts sometimes find their own workarounds.
"I've had to get creative," said Dana Belka, 46, of Collingswood, N.J. Instead of paying up to $120 for a quarter ounce of a top-notch flower, Belka pays $40 for what she calls "ready to roll" the leaves and dregs from a flower batch. In Belka's opinion, the more finely ground leaves are as effective as full buds, but are often marked down.

COURTESY OF LOUANN SPEESE-STANLEY
Diana Stanley, 21, of Grantham, uses medical marijuana to treat a rare form of epilepsy.
Because Speese-Stanley can't afford Pennsylvania prices, she buys marijuana from Oregon and California, where the industry has had years to get established.

Her daughter used to take at least five anti-epileptic medications — all paid for by insurance — but they didn't do much to help the seizures she had multiple times a day and left her listless, Speese-Stanley said.
Her seizures have been shorter since Speese-Stanley started administering drops of cannabis oil along Diana's bottom gums in 2013. Diana is more engaged in her environment, smiling and laughing at the comedy shows she likes to watch on television, Speese-Stanley said.
"There was a point last year I said maybe I'm going to stop because it's not affordable and my girls at home said, 'No, Mom, she is the best she's ever been,'" she said. "She's nonverbal and still has seizures, but she can have a quality of life she hasn't had before."
A ‘ridiculous process’
Product price isn't the only barrier.
Medical marijuana cards cost $50 in Pennsylvania. New Jersey recently reduced its fee from $200 to $100, with a discounted rate of $20 for veterans, seniors and patients who qualify for other public assistance programs.
To get a card, patients must first receive a recommendation for medical marijuana from a doctor who is registered with the program and certifies the patient needs treatment of an approved condition.
If your current doctor is on the list, you're in luck — the appointment may be covered by insurance as part of ongoing treatment. But making an appointment with a new doctor specifically for a cannabis referral can cost between $100 and $450, and likely will not be covered by insurance.
"It's that on top of everything else and at this point, it's just getting to be so hard," said Min Jung, 42, of West Philadelphia, who does not work because of chronic pain and is finding it increasingly difficult to get opioid prescriptions from her physician, who is not certified to recommend marijuana.
Bonnie Queen, who has Parkinson's Disease,faces paying $150 for an upcoming appointment with a psychiatrist who is certified to recommend marijuana for symptoms related to her condition.
"There are people who don't have money and are in terrible shape because Parkinson's messes with your cognition," said Queen, 71, of Wyndmoor, who hopes marijuana will help her sleep. "There are people who could be helped who really don't have the energy or the wherewithal to go through that ridiculous process."

Swamp-Duck

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Makes me sick how it all boils down to one thing, Dosh ! Surely she could go and buy a couple of bags for £40, get her a bong, make some cakes or tea with it. Must have the same effect and cheaper .

skinofevil

Undeniably Plausible
Site Supporter
That's what I'm thinking. In a legislative environment where marijuana has been legalized but is then rendered cost-prohibitive (taxation as ban), she could still get it the way she got it before it was legal, at more competitive prices. Only then, the cops can't bust her for having it, since they won't be able to prove she got it from an illicit source (unless they actually catch her in the act of buying it from an "off market" supplier.)

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
my friends brother got the medical marijuana card in nyc and thought he was all slick until the notice from the nypd arrived to turn in his registered guns cause it automatically put him on the cant buy/cant own list

skinofevil

Undeniably Plausible
Site Supporter
my friends brother got the medical marijuana card in nyc and thought he was all slick until the notice from the nypd arrived to turn in his registered guns cause it automatically put him on the cant buy/cant own list

Premise: The government can't figure out the mono-fuckin'-syllabic words, "SHALL. NOT."

As in "SHALL. NOT. BE. INFRINGED."

They can't figure those two syllables out.

This is why,

1. You DO NOT register a fucking thing, weapons-wise, and

2. If they ask you LIE. Right to their faces, just like they do to us.

OP
OP
Iggy McLulz

Iggy McLulz

Fucking Delightful
Site Supporter ☠️
That's what I'm thinking. In a legislative environment where marijuana has been legalized but is then rendered cost-prohibitive (taxation as ban), she could still get it the way she got it before it was legal, at more competitive prices. Only then, the cops can't bust her for having it, since they won't be able to prove she got it from an illicit source (unless they actually catch her in the act of buying it from an "off market" supplier.)
I believe all medications must remain in original packaging.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Premise: The government can't figure out the mono-fuckin'-syllabic words, "SHALL. NOT."

This is why,

thats what he gets 4 playing by the rules and being a good citizen lol. he had no other legal option tho - otherwise if he shot someone breaking in he would have to take him to the tub and cut him up like dexter instead of reporting it lol

skinofevil

Undeniably Plausible
Site Supporter

This is why,

Proof that I say what I mean: Last time I went for a general checkup, the Phyzz actually had the nerve to ask me, "Do you own a firearm?"

"Nope," sez I with a Springfield XD-E .45 snug against my left ankle. "I do not."

That's what you do. You just straight-up, flat-out fuckin' LIE to 'em.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

This is why,

Proof that I say what I mean: Last time I went for a general checkup, the Phyzz actually had the nerve to ask me, "Do you own a firearm?"

"Nope," sez I with a Springfield XD-E .45 snug against my left ankle. "I do not."

That's what you do. You just straight-up, flat-out fuckin' LIE to 'em.

good! he deserves to be lied to just for asking lol
they feel entitled to know your biz these days cause ppl SHARE EVERYTHING. thats fine too, let the vultures keep busy w/them

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
She should grow her own and also she shouldn't have made more baby's than she can afford to feed!

PS-Close your leg's if you can't pay- - - - - - -

OP
OP
Iggy McLulz

Iggy McLulz

Fucking Delightful
Site Supporter ☠️
She should grow her own and also she shouldn't have made more baby's than she can afford to feed!

PS-Close your leg's if you can't pay- - - - - - -
Home cultivation is still illegal here.
r9CcI7o.jpg

TheHaze

Site Supporter
She doesn't work outside of her house so she can be any where and can move to a different state,bottom line,there are many things she can do beside crying!

TheHaze

Site Supporter
[QUOTE="Iggy McLulz, post: 16857,
Or the state could stop fucking people.[/QUOTE]

Dream on, the Government is about making money and greed is the rule of the day!

THROB

Factory Bastard
That dirt weed you be slinging around the trailer park to pay for that dialup just to insult me aint worth your freedom.

offwidthe

Professional Yeti Hunter
Site Supporter
Im not saying you could get a gpen battery and someone from a legal state to ship to you but its possible.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
It’s outrageous that one can germinate a few seeds and ease pain without it becoming a costly burden. I say just go for it and fuck the system altogether.