Oh, give me a home...

shin

Unsung Internet Celeb
Site Supporter
So, I was thinking about some of the apartment buildings I've lived in, and came to an assumption that I probably wouldn't have chosen to live in something like a convalescent center or a Winnebago based on a few circumstances pertaining to mobility and security.

What it all boils down to, is that I really am hooked on living in this city to a point that it defers me from travelling.

How long do you think is too long to live in one place?

Big Sexy

narcoleptic mattress salesman
Site Supporter
Mom moved to Hawaii. I kept the house and ready to SELL after 40 years of this place !

Swamp-Duck

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
My house is the only place that’s felt like home since being an adult, it’s far too big for me now, I’ve looked at a few other smaller places but I’m waiting for that feeling I had when I first walked in here, I walked into the hallway and was like yeah this is it lol, so far not.

Dageaux

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I believe everyone should travel, live in other places, see new things, and do things that are out of the comfort zone.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
I literally moved 20 times until I was 22. I HATED it. I've been at the place Im at for 20 years as of 3 weeks from now. Told myself back then I wasnt moving again until I found a permanent home. Of course I hadnt planned on staying here as long as I have, but its cheap, and with prices going up as crazy as they are, I feel I am fortunate to be where I am. Also at the same time, over those years, with different neighbors, I have wanted to move SO bad.

When I went to see my brother in Seattle, it was a mixed experience. Some things I liked, some I didnt. It made me like home better to a degree. When I went to Texas to see a brother in law, I didnt like the flatness, and the heat was high but no humidity, which was nice to not have high humidity. I've been to Connecticut and hated it, too Northern for me, folks were assholes, and it was cold and wet. My point being that its nice to travel, but make damn sure you like the area you might move too lol.

I hate the whole moving experience. I wouldnt mind actually having a tear drop camper and touring around the country seeing things and meeting forum members for a couple months. Of course I need to win the lotto or something first lol.

Iggy McLulz

Fucking Delightful
Site Supporter ☠️
I moved around Pennsylvania a lot when I was younger. A little list of cities/towns I've lived in. Still haven't found "home" yet.
Altoona
Coalport
Madera
Curwensville
Red Lion
Dallastown
Shrewsbury
York city
Mechanicsburg

Scott

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I moved around Pennsylvania a lot when I was younger. A little list of cities/towns I've lived in. Still haven't found "home" yet.
Altoona
Coalport
Madera
Curwensville
Red Lion
Dallastown
Shrewsbury
York city
Mechanicsburg

How about one of these?

Iggy McLulz

Fucking Delightful
Site Supporter ☠️
Altoona
Coalport
Madera
Curwensville
Red Lion
Dallastown
Shrewsbury
York city
Mechanicsburg

How about one of these?
Nah we used tents when we went camping. I haven't gone since I was a kid, camping really isn't my thing though.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Altoona
Coalport
Madera
Curwensville
Red Lion
Dallastown
Shrewsbury
York city
Mechanicsburg

How about one of these?
Nah we used tents when we went camping. I haven't gone since I was a kid, camping really isn't my thing though.

I was going to like your post for tent camping, but then had to take it back when I seen you hadnt been since you were a kid lol. Dont let your inner kid die Iggy, go camping again... when it warms up some of course lol. The thing I started getting into less than 10 years ago, backpacking. Just off in the woods away from it all, no signal, just what you have in your pack. Solo can be very rewarding too. Just chillin' by a stream, cup of hot tea in one hand, a book in the other, campfire right in front of you, and nothing to bother you. Fuck now I wanna go! :Grin3:

Scott

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Altoona
Coalport
Madera
Curwensville
Red Lion
Dallastown
Shrewsbury
York city
Mechanicsburg

How about one of these?

The idea of being able to pull up the anchor and change the view is pretty appealing but I'm sure the cramped quarters would get old fast.
I camp often but seldom lug the tent anymore because I don't like feeling like a blind sitting duck every time a damn raccoon walks up and sounds a lot like a guy in a hockey mask with a machete lol
I actually have a summer cabin in the Poconos near Lake Wallenpaupack and have been going up there since I was eight.

Iggy McLulz

Fucking Delightful
Site Supporter ☠️
Altoona
Coalport
Madera
Curwensville
Red Lion
Dallastown
Shrewsbury
York city
Mechanicsburg

How about one of these?

I was going to like your post for tent camping, but then had to take it back when I seen you hadnt been since you were a kid lol. Dont let your inner kid die Iggy, go camping again... when it warms up some of course lol. The thing I started getting into less than 10 years ago, backpacking. Just off in the woods away from it all, no signal, just what you have in your pack. Solo can be very rewarding too. Just chillin' by a stream, cup of hot tea in one hand, a book in the other, campfire right in front of you, and nothing to bother you. Fuck now I wanna go! :Grin3:
My inner kid hasn't died yet :LOL1: I've just never liked camping. Probably should give it one more try, I might actually enjoy it now. I love peace and quiet after all the drama I've dealt with the past 6 years.

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
Home is where the heart is! I sold the home where me and the wife lived and with her and the kids gone was just to big for 1 person(4 bedroom,3 full baths,3200 sq ft and 4 car garage and pool)and now in a 2 bed 1bath 900sq ft and big ass 75 inch TV and a big back yard and as far as camping goes loved it but these bones are to old for those cold ass nights and fucking bugs everywhere and mile long line for a shower and nobody to keep me warm at night,no thanks and maybe in the next life- - - - - -

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Altoona
Coalport
Madera
Curwensville
Red Lion
Dallastown
Shrewsbury
York city
Mechanicsburg

How about one of these?

My inner kid hasn't died yet :LOL1: I've just never liked camping. Probably should give it one more try, I might actually enjoy it now. I love peace and quiet after all the drama I've dealt with the past 6 years.

The peacefulness alone is worth it lol. Glad your inner child hasnt died :ThumbsUp4:

This is where I post a pic of Will Ferrell from Elf saying "Camping is my favorite" haha.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Home is where the heart is! I sold the home where me and the wife lived and with her and the kids gone was just to big for 1 person(4 bedroom,3 full baths,3200 sq ft and 4 car garage and pool)and now in a 2 bed 1bath 900sq ft and big ass 75 inch TV and a big back yard and as far as camping goes loved it but these bones are to old for those cold ass nights and fucking bugs everywhere and mile long line for a shower and nobody to keep me warm at night,no thanks and maybe in the next life- - - - - -

The older I get, the harder that ground gets for sure lol.

Scott

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Altoona
Coalport
Madera
Curwensville
Red Lion
Dallastown
Shrewsbury
York city
Mechanicsburg

How about one of these?

If I had alzheimers I'd pause to consider if I wrote that except I keep a shortwave and a deck of cards in all my packs that are primed with gear and ready to go, two for recreation; a three day and a two week monstrosity I'd routinely overload with weight, then have to make sacrifices either omitting certain things or going with lighter more compact versions of essentials.
Ever been on the Appalachian trail? I've done a hundred north and about seventy south of where I pick it up in NY and doing the whole stretch from Maine to Georgia is on the bucket list.
All kinds of people are on it from earthy hippy types to this gaggle of giddy girls from Italy who probably shouldn't have been on it because they used up a whole Bic lighter failing to get a fire going for two days since there was intermittent drizzle lol. (imagine the Kardashians, dressed to look the part and then being dropped in the wilderness). We left them behind us after two days with a fire steel because they were kind of slow and we had a schedule to keep but the thought they might end up on a milk carton was on my mind for a while after that.
Going off the grid is great when the tedium of the daily routine gets to me, plus nothing keeps me from taking the comforts of home for granted like a few days worth of having the overlooked root of a tree subtly poke me in the spine all night right through the mat. I get home from that and start snoring within two minutes of hitting the pillow every time.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Altoona
Coalport
Madera
Curwensville
Red Lion
Dallastown
Shrewsbury
York city
Mechanicsburg

How about one of these?

If I had alzheimers I'd pause to consider if I wrote that except I keep a shortwave and a deck of cards in all my packs that are primed with gear and ready to go, two for recreation; a three day and a two week monstrosity I'd routinely overload with weight, then have to make sacrifices either omitting certain things or going with lighter more compact versions of essentials.
Ever been on the Appalachian trail? I've done a hundred north and about seventy south of where I pick it up in NY and doing the whole stretch from Maine to Georgia is on the bucket list.
All kinds of people are on it from earthy hippy types to this gaggle of giddy girls from Italy who probably shouldn't have been on it because they used up a whole Bic lighter failing to get a fire going for two days since there was intermittent drizzle lol. (imagine the Kardashians, dressed to look the part and then being dropped in the wilderness). We left them behind us after two days with a fire steel because they were kind of slow and we had a schedule to keep but the thought they might end up on a milk carton was on my mind for a while after that.
Going off the grid is great when the tedium of the daily routine gets to me, plus nothing keeps me from taking the comforts of home for granted like a few days worth of having the overlooked root of a tree subtly poke me in the spine all night right through the mat. I get home from that and start snoring within two minutes of hitting the pillow every time.

Same here man, you writing most of what I would write on that.

I've been slacking, I want to keep a pack or two packed and ready to go, maybe one for the vehicle. I've thought of cards, but I do carry a harmonica. Makes it easier to learn how to play it out in the middle of nowhere haha. You're right, gotta make sacrifices on packing. First time I went for 3 days up and over a mountain it weighed 35lbs, which aint much, but I realized quickly how things can add up. The next 3 day trip I did it weighed 25lbs, was much better. I also changed out my one man "snack size lookin' tent to a bear" out for a 2 man (1 man and his gear). I posted about that bear encounter on here lol.

Im right by the AT! Matter of fact, a lot of the trails I go on, intersect with the Appalachian Trail at one point or another. Im here in Southwest Virginia. Two trails near it are Dragon's Tooth and Apple Orchard Falls that I go on. Also near the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is beautiful right now with peak leaf season going on. Thats cool you've done a good portion of it! I've always wanted to do that too, hike the AT. Taking off work is always the problem. Most I can get in is a mere 3 days. 7 days would be a dream. You right on all kinds of people. One time I met some folks from Austria that had come there just to hike the trail.

Yeah I would be worried about those folks too lol. Using a flint aint so bad, if you can throw the spark on some dry tinder. I cheat and carry newspaper to light with a lighter and cotton balls to light with a flint with me lol.

And when ya do get away from it all, you almost feel energized from it, feel better. Spiritually too. I love that I dont have to pick up my phone. Just look at the sun to know what time it is, and when to start the fire for dinner.

The older I get the harder that ground gets haha. Oh man, the first night back in bed is the best sleep.

skinofevil

Undeniably Plausible
Site Supporter
Ohhhhh, give me a home
Where the buffalo roam
And the deer and the antelope play
Where seldom is heard
Any kind of a word
'Cause what would an antelope say?

On a more serious note:

How long do you think is too long to live in one place?

No such thing as too long. Having a hometown is great. Means you know where everything is and (depending on the size of the community) you might have a helpful support network of friends and neighbors if you happen to need 'em.