Robbie Robertson obliterated

Gabbo

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Former Band member and alcoholic Robbie Robertson has been obliterated by a long term illness. He can now be jealous of Levon Helm in the afterlife. Robertson was 80.

The New Holliday

Now With 25% More Infinity
Site Supporter
Robbie was a very good guitarist unfortunately he also had to imagine and do his best to make others who didn't know better believe that he was the genius behind The Band (In my view one of the best rock'Roll bands of any time). His ego was huge - one place, not unexpectedly it is on full display, is in the Last Waltz vids where he is seen appearing to shout instructions to his bandmates who were equal to his talent and consummate professionals and didn't for a moment need him to tell them what they should be doing.

Of what I know - this is an example of him at his minimalist best:

PS: I think, yes - Garth Hudson is the last of The Band living.

Richard Manuel's death being particularly heartbreaking.

OP
OP

Gabbo

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Robbie was a very good guitarist unfortunately he also had to imagine and do his best to make others who didn't know better believe that he was the genius behind The Band (In my view one of the best rock'Roll bands of any time). His ego was huge - one place, not unexpectedly it is on full display, is in the Last Waltz vids where he is seen appearing to shout instructions to his bandmates who were equal to his talent and consummate professionals and didn't for a moment need him to tell them what they should be doing.

Of what I know - this is an example of him at his minimalist best:

PS: I think, yes - Garth Hudson is the last of The Band living.

Richard Manuel's death being particularly heartbreaking.

Garth Hudson is still around......kind of. I imagine they will haul him out for an interview on CBC Radio One's "Q". They seem to trot him out every time a band mate dies. He is the last one so the CBC interview will likely be his last.

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
Garth Hudson is still around......kind of. I imagine they will haul him out for an interview on CBC Radio One's "Q". They seem to trot him out every time a band mate dies. He is the last one so the CBC interview will likely be his last.
Maybe I'm wrong, but you seem to be bearing some hostility towards The Band's members.
.. Wuddaya suppose that's all about?

Here's one I always liked: (Maybe you'll like Levon taking Lead vocals)

OP
OP

Gabbo

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
No, a bit of an act. I actually really liked The Band. That being said, every time a member of The Band or when Ronnie Hawkins died the CBC calls on a very distraught Garth Hudson for an interview. My take is to leave the poor old guy alone. Levon was my favourite but they were all essential for The Band being as great as they were.

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
No, a bit of an act. I actually really liked The Band. That being said, every time a member of The Band or when Ronnie Hawkins died the CBC calls on a very distraught Garth Hudson for an interview. My take is to leave the poor old guy alone. Levon was my favourite but they were all essential for The Band being as great as they were.
Oh, well I feel a lot better now, and since we are going through a retrospective of the world class vocalists The Band was blessed with (not including Robbie who laughably insisted on being credited as a blackup vocalist which he was not), let's not forget Rick Danko.

and his parts in...

Reggie_Essent

An Claidheam Anam
Oh, well I feel a lot better now, and since we are going through a retrospective of the world class vocalists The Band was blessed with (not including Robbie who laughably insisted on being credited as a blackup vocalist which he was not), let's not forget Rick Danko.

and his parts in...

Yeah, the primary vocalist on The Weight was the drummer. That's who's voice we all hear when we think of the song.

Stop trying to be a pedantic dickfuck, Holly. You couldn't carry Spoon's musicology jock, so give it a rest, fishleboy.

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
Yeah, the primary vocalist on The Weight was the drummer. That's who's voice we all hear when we think of the song.

Stop trying to be pedantic dickfuck, Holly. You couldn't carry Spoon's musicology jock, so give it a rest, fishleboy.
Rick Danko sang lead on Look out Cleveland and co-lead on the weight as I had noted, Raggs.
.. Since evidently you have no ear to know it by, you could look it up.

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
You're drunker than me, fucker. Piss off and gnaw on some mercury-laden three-eyed fishy jerky.

Shit, dude - you're so unfamiliar with the thread subject you have to run off topic? Sad

.. I mean since people were stompin on ol Garth how about a bit of intro by him and some from the guest of honor?

Oh, I guess that must be Levon singin them leads, ay Raggs?

Last edited:

Reggie_Essent

An Claidheam Anam
Shit, dude - you're so unfamiliar with the thread subject you have to run off topic? Sad

.. I mean since people were stompin on ol Garth how about a bit of intro by him and some from the guest of honor?

There's a topic?

Have we not been bullshitting for nearly 2 decades, and you ask me about a fucking topic?

Slap yourself in the face really hard, fuckwad.