School employee fired for having a gun in purse.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
She left behind her purse in school bathroom. School staff found it and turned it in to school administration. They found a gun in it and she was subsequently fired. She has no history of violence, treats, etc.

I think it was wrong for firing her. Maybe disciplinary action including suspension for having a weapon on campus, but don't think she deserved being fired. She could be afraid because of school shootings, maybe she has an ex stalking her, etc.

I wonder if there are 4th amendment issues at play as well.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Admin.

Silent Scream, try to tear your face apart.
Site Supporter ☠️
She left behind her purse in school bathroom. School staff found it and turned it in to school administration. They found a gun in it and she was subsequently fired. She has no history of violence, treats, etc.

I think it was wrong for firing her. Maybe disciplinary action including suspension for having a weapon on campus, but don't think she deserved being fired. She could be afraid because of school shootings, maybe she has an ex stalking her, etc.

I wonder if there are 4th amendment issues at play as well.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
I too would like to think the School District looked at all the evidence, before taking this step.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
That school did not allow guns on campus, right? Then she should be fired. I agree with the first comments I saw:

15 hours ago

Many schools are allowing staff to carry guns now. But this is why it's not good idea, not all people are responsible enough or properly trained.

14 hours ago

I would consider myself properly trained and pretty proficient -- I am prior army. The thought of having to use a gun in a situation where there are kids running around, even though I am an expert shot, is frightening. Now just imagine a teacher that is NOT proficient and does not go to the range on a very regular basis (I go far more than 2 times a year). Not a great option to allow just anyone with a gun in school if they pass the basic qualification to posses a gun but don't train with it on a very regular basis.

Admin.

Silent Scream, try to tear your face apart.
Site Supporter ☠️
That school did not allow guns on campus, right? Then she should be fired. I agree with the first comments I saw:

15 hours ago

Many schools are allowing staff to carry guns now. But this is why it's not good idea, not all people are responsible enough or properly trained.

14 hours ago

I would consider myself properly trained and pretty proficient -- I am prior army. The thought of having to use a gun in a situation where there are kids running around, even though I am an expert shot, is frightening. Now just imagine a teacher that is NOT proficient and does not go to the range on a very regular basis (I go far more than 2 times a year). Not a great option to allow just anyone with a gun in school if they pass the basic qualification to posses a gun but don't train with it on a very regular basis.
I am also not a believer in everyone having a gun, and I still don't want that, but I have been rethinking that, I'm not a crier but when I heard of those 10 year old Uvalde TX school girls whispering over over their dead teacher's cell phone to police dispatch....I was stunned and teary eyed. Maybe, if we as a Country are going to force 10 yr. old girls to carry a pregnancy to term and not protect that young Mother in her 4th grade math class, then she should be allowed to protect her unborn child.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I am also not a believer to everyone has a gun, and I still don't but I have been rethinking that, I'm not a crier but when I heard of those 10 year old Uvalde TX girls whispering over over their dead teacher's cell phone to police dispatch....I was stunned.
I know. That's a dilemma for sure. But if there are people at schools with guns, they should be highly trained, because, kids running around.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I am also not a believer in everyone having a gun, and I still don't want that, but I have been rethinking that, I'm not a crier but when I heard of those 10 year old Uvalde TX school girls whispering over over their dead teacher's cell phone to police dispatch....I was stunned and teary eyed. Maybe, if we as a Country are going to force 10 yr. old girls to carry a pregnancy to term and not protect that young Mother in her 4th grade math class, then she should be allowed to protect her unborn child.

Can't watch. I am a crier. Big cry baby.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I think firing makes in hard for her to get her next job, especially being a black woman in South Carolina. I still support disciplinary action.
Well, maybe let go with recommendations as opposed to fired if they can work that out. I don't know. I just think guns have to be taken very seriously. Especially in the USofA.