There's a Burger King here

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Today I was actually thinking, "Hell, why not just try it once?"

We had salmon, basmati with cilantro, and salad instead.

Still, I bet the burgers are better here than they are in the USofA.

With all that good food where you live, why would anyone want to go to Burger King?

I'd hit one of those Portuguese Bakeries instead.

We had one in Vancouver, but unfortunately it closed down, and Lisbon is a long drive from here.

Um, because I eat all that good food all the time. It gets monotonous. I come from LA, where I could have anything from African and Cuban and every type of Asian food to Mexican, Brazilian, Turkish, and Indian, Italian, French, Moroccan, and virtually any other type of food on the planet.

Here, there's Portuguese, Italian, Portuguese, Sushi, Portuguese, sometimes Brazilian, and more Portuguese. Looking for variety. Plus, restaurants are on lockdown now. Only take away.

I go to the bakeries all the time. There are 2 or 3 in every block, and most of the supermarkets have bakeries on premises, where they put out hot bread all day long. Fresh bread in every bakery, every single day, and it's delicious.

BTW, Brazilian food is better than Portuguese.

rigor79

missing siamese eyes.
Site Supporter

With all that good food where you live, why would anyone want to go to Burger King?

We had one in Vancouver, but unfortunately it closed down, and Lisbon is a long drive from here.

Um, because I eat all that good food all the time. It gets monotonous. I come from LA, where I could have anything from African and Cuban and every type of Asian food to Mexican, Brazilian, Turkish, and Indian, Italian, French, Moroccan, and virtually any other type of food on the planet.

Here, there's Portuguese, Italian, Portuguese, Sushi, Portuguese, sometimes Brazilian, and more Portuguese. Looking for variety. Plus, restaurants are on lockdown now. Only take away.

I go to the bakeries all the time. There are 2 or 3 in every block. Fresh bread every single day, and it's delicious.

giphy.gif

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

I go to the bakeries all the time. There are 2 or 3 in every block. Fresh bread every single day, and it's delicious.

giphy.gif
That looks really gross, but I'd kill for some real Mexican food. I went to one Mexican restaurant in a bigger city, and it just wasn't really Mexican. It was good, but very different.

rigor79

missing siamese eyes.
Site Supporter

giphy.gif
That looks really gross, but I'd kill for some real Mexican food. I went to one Mexican restaurant in a bigger city, and it just wasn't really Mexican. It was good, but very different.
yeah where i live we don't really have the traditional restaurant stuff .. too bad. :/

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

giphy.gif
yeah where i live we don't really have the traditional restaurant stuff .. too bad. :/

Where do you live?

rigor79

missing siamese eyes.
Site Supporter

giphy.gif

Where do you live?
shithole europe ... 'nuff said blah ...

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

giphy.gif

Where do you live?

Shithole Europe? That could be anywhere. Some areas of Europe have fantastic food from all over, other areas are really unimaginative.

Portugal has this tendency to use all the same spices and cooking styles everywhere except Lisbon, the Algarve, and Porto.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I go to the bakeries all the time. There are 2 or 3 in every block, and most of the supermarkets have bakeries on premises, where they put out hot bread all day long. Fresh bread in every bakery, every single day, and it's delicious.

Most supermarkets have bakeries here and there are tons of independent bakeries as well. It has been this way at least for the last 40 years.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I’m making keto egg roll in a bowl for dinner
I hate to ask, but what is a Keto egg roll?

It’s sooo good with sriracha sauce

That lady seemed oddly surprised that she had the drain the meat lol.

When do you ever cook ground beef and not have to drain it?! She was like suprised lol.

And she didnt wash that cabbage mix.

The food looks good though. I'd use more garlic and a little more oyster sauce. Honestly I'd probably go a tad heavier on all the spices but we like it spicy AF over here.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

giphy.gif

Where do you live?

Shithole Europe? That could be anywhere. Some areas of Europe have fantastic food from all over, other areas are really unimaginative.

Portugal has this tendency to use all the same spices and cooking styles everywhere except Lisbon, the Algarve, and Porto.

My mother wants to move to Portugal or Ireland and when Jim Crow Joe was elected my daughter started house hunting in both countries. She noticed the American dollar has lost value and she got some anxiety.

We would have to haul a herd of cats overseas and I dont know how that would work lol.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I'd really like to try the spicy shrimp whopper that Burger King sells in Japan.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I bought some Iraqi style basturma today, which stylistically is different from Armenian pasturma as they grind up both beef and lamb to make a sausage instead of a pressed preserved cut of beef the way Armenians do it, but we intend to have some for breakfast tomorrow. Probably with some eggs and bread with a bit of yogurt based dipping sauce. Hopefully all goes well.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

giphy.gif

Where do you live?

My mother wants to move to Portugal or Ireland and when Jim Crow Joe was elected my daughter started house hunting in both countries. She noticed the American dollar has lost value and she got some anxiety.

We would have to haul a herd of cats overseas and I dont know how that would work lol.

Yes. The dollar started to nosedive about 8 months ago. Trump's response to Corona no doubt fueled it. (Don't give me shit. You brought up Sloppy Joe first.)

BTW, getting the visas to move here is a very long and arduous process, and you have to follow all of their rules for animals as well. I think you have to get a pet passport. No kidding. At least my friend had to get one to send her dog from here to her daughter in London.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I bought some Iraqi style basturma today, which stylistically is different from Armenian pasturma as they grind up both beef and lamb to make a sausage instead of a pressed preserved cut of beef the way Armenians do it, but we intend to have some for breakfast tomorrow. Probably with some eggs and bread with a bit of yogurt based dipping sauce. Hopefully all goes well.

I can't get any stuff like that here.

rigor79

missing siamese eyes.
Site Supporter

giphy.gif

Where do you live?

Mmmmh Ireland looks better..

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

giphy.gif

Where do you live?

Yes. The dollar started to nosedive about 8 months ago. Trump's response to Corona no doubt fueled it. (Don't give me shit. You brought up Sloppy Joe first.)

BTW, getting the visas to move here is a very long and arduous process, and you have to follow all of their rules for animals as well. I think you have to get a pet passport. No kidding. At least my friend had to get one to send her dog from here to her daughter in London.

I didnt even know pet passports existed lol.

I know they have to have vaccination records and vet papers. I think some places require them to be quarantined. I cant imagine any of my kitties tolerating a plane ride that long. I'd be terrified the entire time that we would discover one of them dead upon arriving.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

Figures you're from the anus of America...

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The basturma was really fucking good and half of it is still left. I've heard people call this version Iraqi breakfast sausage and it is a little different as the normal Armenia version isn't sausage at all. All that said the mix of lamb and beef along with cracked rice and the mideast blend of herbs and spices was damn good. I could see this becoming really popular if enough people try it.

We cut the two foot long sausage kind of diagonally, removed the casing, then fried them quickly in a pan using avocado oil (as it has a high smoking point) with a dab of ghee (clarified butter also know as drawn butter). Served with eggs sunny side up where the yolks were still runny, Arabic Flatbread, some pickled vegetables we got at the mideast market, and some spiced yogurt based dipping sauce. Not bad.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

giphy.gif

Where do you live?

I didnt even know pet passports existed lol.

I know they have to have vaccination records and vet papers. I think some places require them to be quarantined. I cant imagine any of my kitties tolerating a plane ride that long. I'd be terrified the entire time that we would discover one of them dead upon arriving.

I have a friend who brought three cats. They all survived, and they came from Washington state.

I don't think Ireland is any easier, except that you don't have to study a new language. I heard about someone in Ireland who even bought a house there and they were getting kicked out because something was out of order with their visa.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

post your thread here >

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I can't get any stuff like that here.

If you really want to improve your new country why not open a business? You could make and/or sell stuff you remember trying back in Los Angeles. If you're in a city there would probably be a market.