Today: The Semi-Annual Steak Dinner

Holliday Unchained

Banned
Banned
Those who know me weller know this is a ritual meal - usually later in the late winter
I do not eat soy products other than the occasional soy sauce in a favorite gravy recipe

but do have the red meat - with plenny garlic at what I recon to be the end of Winter (and end of summer)
The thaw is here as I could predict
. and the Bourbon is ready as accompaniment - and well underway I may add.

Chosen music:

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
If I’m gonna eat beef, it’s gonna be a nice slice of Prime Rib. Sadly not in many years

OP
OP

Holliday Unchained

Banned
Banned
Enjoy.

I don't understand steak, but, honsetly, enjoy!
For me it is twice a year at the ritual meal - which often is at a favorite restaurant with friends. Not in this time though..
Of course growing up where and when I did there was lots of meat and taters along with vegetables, plenty fruit and fish on Fridays.
By the time I was out on my own at 18, living in California - which was a wonderful place then, I was experimenting with radical diets, fasting, etc. Now I also eat a pretty clean diet that includes fish and fowl as I wish. It may be that the draw of meat has something to do with the bacteria found therein which is beneficial to digestive tract function. Or - maybe it's just some sentimental connection I make to the long gone life of childhood. I think, like New Year's - it also just marks beginnings and endings of periods in a yearly cycle.

Last edited:

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Enjoy.

For me it is twice a year at the ritual meal - which often is at a favorite restaurant with friends. Not in this time though..
Of course growing up where and when I did there was lots of meat and taters along with vegetables, plenty fruit and fish on Fridays.
By the time I was out on my own at 18, living in California - which was a wonderful place then, I was experimenting with radical diets, fasting, etc. Now I also eat a pretty clean diet that includes fish and fowl as I wish. It may be that the draw of meat has something to do with the bacteria found therein which is beneficial to digestive tract function. Or - maybe it's just some sentimental connection I make to the long gone life of childhood. I think, like New Year's - it also just marks beginnings and endings of periods in a yearly cycle.

Yeah. It's weird. My father loved steak, so we had it often enough, but I have not tasted a steak since I left my parents' home at 17. Not once. Because I didn't like it as a kid. Don't know why.

OP
OP

Holliday Unchained

Banned
Banned
Enjoy.

Yeah. It's weird. My father loved steak, so we had it often enough, but I have not tasted a steak since I left my parents' home at 17. Not once. Because I didn't like it as a kid. Don't know why.
It's a dead animal....

Not something you want to consider with each bite really.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Enjoy.

It's a dead animal....

Not something you want to consider with each bite really.

I think that's it. Steak, more than chicken or fish or even ground hamburger, is just blatantly a meal made of dead flesh.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Which type of steak do you prefer?
This time I got a ribeye bone in. Topped with garlic and onion and butter - broiled.
I'm not a cook - everything is prepared simply and enjoyed.

Ribeye is a classic for sure with nice marbling and good balance of flavor. I prefer mine bone removed (the whole tomahawk thing is showy and fun to look at but bone in meat cooks to unevenly for me). Delmonico's does the whole garlic, onion, butter in the broiler thing (in cast iron) so it certainly works. I prefer just a salt, pepper, olive oil and then grilled but to each his own.

OP
OP

Holliday Unchained

Banned
Banned
Which type of steak do you prefer?
This time I got a ribeye bone in. Topped with garlic and onion and butter - broiled.
I'm not a cook - everything is prepared simply and enjoyed.

Ribeye is a classic for sure with nice marbling and good balance of flavor. I prefer mine bone removed (the whole tomahawk thing is showy and fun to look at but bone in meat cooks to unevenly for me). Delmonico's does the whole garlic, onion, butter in the broiler thing (in cast iron) so it certainly works. I prefer just a salt, pepper, olive oil and then grilled but to each his own.
I love gnawing around the bone like a caveman. The whole thing allows one to drift back into the archaic human ancestry.