Tonight at the Opera

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
In my dreaming last night, I heard a smattering of polite applause. Thanks, you've been a lovely audience.

I expect to return for a matinee performance on Saturday, with a selection of rock interpretations of opera classics.
LoLz - As I had tried to explain - audience appreciation is not one's best motivation for serious replies within the thread.
Your presentation was well chosen, researched, and appreciated by the thread originator.

Jake

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
LoLz - As I had tried to explain - audience appreciation is not one's best motivation

Indeed not, but then OTOH we see Sharona dropping in for the second time to tell us how much she hates opera for its "misogyny."

Someone should tell her that dying in the last scene hardly makes the Diva any less badass than she already was. But maybe her shallow understanding will become illuminated when she drops in for the Matinee.

Jake

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Good afternoon, opera fans, and thanks for coming out for our Saturday Matinee.

This week, we'll feature an interesting American band that had a good run in NYC for nearly a decade, covering opera music. It wasn't quite full-on opera since it lacked the costuming and sets and acting of traditional opera, but I found their musical interpretations quite engaging.

Here, then, is the East Village Opera Company, or EVOC for short.

RAVEN

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I've never really listened to opera... maybe I'll give a listen later.. lol.. :rightON:

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
--Week 7 of 8
Well, here it is Tuesday night again
..and tonight I thought it might be interesting to explore the early days of opera,
which
was not in those days some 400 or so years ago the lavish extravaganza that we know today.
(as there were no 'lectric guitars and such)

The first known "opera" was Jacopo Peri's "Dafne" of which little remains (mainly recitative with interjections of song) - that had it's performance in 1597. His second effort, however, Euridice, has survived
and here we have a modern recording:

The synopsis:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

The music: (Very beautiful. Very soothing)

It was however, but short years later, Claudio Monteverdi gave flight to Opera.

Here, his L'Orfeo, the story of which you all know:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
Well, friends
here it is Tuesday night again
..and a special Tuesday Night at the Opera indeed since we have
a rare double bill

I thought I'd make a connection to Jake's offering and then not leave out anyone who should not be excluded from a series of operas.

So
Tonight we present Verdi's Rigoletto (complete with hunchbacks and plenty dead women)
...the synopsis

The movie:

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
-This being week 8 of the 8 week Tuesday Night at the Opera series
I mark this as the conclusion of my presentations
..not to say others may not make worthy donations.

....and
tonight
.an opera in which no one dies
except the composer himself.
..a story of initiation

----------The Magic Flute

Synopsis:

The Opera itself:

_____

Jake

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
It's a bit late for Tuesday night, but I needed a place to put this. Gaetano Donizetti's 1835 opera Lucia di Lammermoor is set in Scotland but sung, of course, in Italian. It's best known for Lucia's "mad scene" which includes a looooong aria for Lucia which has become an opera showpiece for reasons you'll see.

Here's a recent Russian production featuring the charming Anna Netrebko

Actually Donizetti wrote two or three versions of the aria (cavatina) to be used depending on the production and the abilities of the coloratura soprano. In our second sample, we hear the immortal Dame Joan Sutherland of Australia singing a different version.

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️
Tonight at the opera house; André Rieu & Mirusia and The Johann Strauss Orchestra performing live in Maastricht. Taken from the DVD "André Rieu Live in Maastricht 4, A Midsummer Night's Dream".

ENJOY! ❤️

Jake

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Because yesterday was World AIDS Day and it passed under my radar, I'll post this tonight for the AIDS victims I've known personally (there've been a few of them.) I recall that Freddie Mercury adored this wonderful soprano, as I do. Tune by G.F. Handel, lyrics by G. Rossi.