Such is life...
Site Supporter
images

Admin.

This ain't Texas (woo), ain't. no hold'm woo woo
Site Supporter ☠️
273379878_10158783546721728_9110014342673806521_n.jpg

The Green Flash

Not my Pic, but a rare and hard to photograph effect, that is very hard to spot, they only happen when conditions are just right, I spent years out on that great big ocean in the Navy, and for several years have live near or by the Ocean, I have seen the green flash 3 times, once from the flight deck in the Atlantic Ocean in a previous life, and 2 times here on the shore of the Pacific.

Here's an explanation:
A green flash is a phenomenon in which part of the sun appears to suddenly change color for about 1 or 2 seconds. The brief flash of green light is seen more often at sunset than at sunrise.
This fleeting spectacle is caused by the refraction of sunlight, which is particularly significant at sunset and sunrise when the light travels through more of the Earth's atmosphere. The atmosphere bends the sunlight passing through it, separating the light into its different colors, much like a prism bends and splits sunlight into rainbows. There are four categories of green flashes: inferior mirage, mock mirage, subduct flash, and green ray, according to an [article published by the American Association for the Advancement of Science]. (
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
) (AAAS). Nearly all green-flash sightings fall into the first two categories.
Inferior mirage flashes are oval and flat and occur close to sea level when the surface of the water is warmer than the air above it. [
]
Mock mirage flashes, on the other hand, occur higher up in the sky and when conditions on the surface are colder than the air above. The flashes appear to be thin, pointy strips being sliced from the sun, and they last about 1 to 2 seconds, which is what I believe this one was.

OP
OP
Breakfall

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

I bet Galli knows this gentleman..
I do…but he’s a bit of a bum. I believe he was a police officer back in the 70’s and went seriously hippy. Most surfing Saffers have met him, as well as many international surfing celebrities.
He’s lived anywhere and everywhere that won’t cost him a coin. He’s dedicated most of his life to the ocean and comes across as quite introverted, although a bit of weed always pulls him out of his shell. When I first surfed J-Bay at 14 years as age, Bruce Gold was there.

And he is still there today…

(Good find Seamajor)
:ThumbsUp1: