Your postal system is not very efficient...

DDT

Factory Bastard
Trying to get a package shipped to me from Illinois to British Columbia.

We can see that it was sent from Illinois to Rancho Dominguez, Cali. Then it was sent back to Illinois. Then it was sent back to Los Angeles.

I'm not sure a company can make money pinballing a package back and forth across North America...

Capture.png

Admin.

The Flying Fickle Finger Of Fate.
Site Supporter ☠️

We can see that it was sent from Illinois to Rancho Dominguez, Cali. Then it was sent back to Illinois. Then it was sent back to Los Angeles.

I'm not sure a company can make money pinballing a package back and forth across North America...

Capture.png
Our Postal system ran pretty smoothly up to about 2016 or so,

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Capture.png
"WAAAA! ORANGE MAN BAAAAAAD!!!!"

KA-POWN3D!

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️

Capture.png

KA-POWN3D!
Read a book someday Cartoon Head.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Capture.png

KA-POWN3D!
Read a book someday Cartoon Head.
What, a book about democRATs melting down with TDS over everything?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I think the US Postal System is pretty efficient.

and considering the Pandemic, these American post office workers have done the best job they can. Many places are understaffed, workers have either gotten sick or even died from COVID.

so I greatly respect the job they have done and are trying to deliver to their country and the rest of the world.

Who cares about the Olympics?

These postal workers these days are the Gold Medalists.

Every package they promised to deliver for me got delivered to the proper destination, in good shape and by the time they promised, in spite of all the obstacles they faced this year.

Each of them deserves a medal made out of 1 oz of gold.

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️
It is not all Trump's fault, Dubya cut the USPS back back in the oughts, he reduced quite few regional distribution centers causing an increase in travel time for deliveries of first class mail, if you were in sales/performance based business' like i was in, suddenly having the big checks cashed a day or two later is not a happy development, in our society we expect things like infrastructure to get better, not to get worse on purpose. Cash flow matters.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I think the US Postal System is pretty efficient.
How is flying a package from Illinois to California, then back to Illinois, then back to California, efficient?

Well I had some packages delivered from the States via USPS, and there were delays - which they warned about - but they still delivered it on time according to their schedule even tho it was slower than usual.

They did state it was due to the Pandemic.

This is understandable since they are probably short staffed.

I'm not sure about your own experience, but in mine, tho slower, they did deliver when they said they would.

I appreciate anyoen who's out there these days doing those jobs and putting their lives/health on the line.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I wonder if my package will make it back to Illinois for a third time before it comes to my house...

LIkely staffing problems.

They are probably understaffed.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
It is not all Trump's fault, Dubya cut the USPS back back in the oughts, he reduced quite few regional distribution centers causing an increase in travel time for deliveries of first class mail, if you were in sales/performance based business' like i was in, suddenly having the big checks cashed a day or two later is not a happy development, in our society we expect things like infrastructure to get better, not to get worse on purpose. Cash flow matters.

but even private delivery services like Ups and fedex have had staffing problems too.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

Capture.png
The American postal service is severely backlogged. It took nearly 6 months for a vinyl record of JJ Vale Naturally to arrive in Australia. Worth the wait but…

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️
I wonder if my package will make it back to Illinois for a third time before it comes to my house...
Our quality of service has clearly degraded over the last couple decades, but it is still fairly efficient in terms of deliveries made, just slower....and as in anything individual results may vary. I live a bit off the beaten path, for the last few years, I hate to admit to it, but I have become a bit of a cyber shopping devotee, I do try to buy as much stuff local, but there is so much that just isn't readily available without driving an hour or more, and even then many of those shopping malls are dead, so...

OP
OP
DDT

DDT

Factory Bastard
Our quality of service has clearly degraded over the last couple decades, but it is still fairly efficient in terms of deliveries made, just slower....and as in anything individual results may vary. I live a bit off the beaten path, for the last few years, I hate to admit to it, but I have become a bit of a cyber shopping devotee, I do try to buy as much stuff local, but there is so much that just isn't readily available without driving an hour or more, and even then many of those shopping malls are dead, so...
Ya, I'm in the same position. I try to buy as much locally too, but I am nowhere near a large city. The nearest mall here is also in a pretty sad state of affairs. 1/3 of the retail space is empty and for lease. Hardly anyone in there. Not like they used to be when I was a kid.

So there simply are times when it makes sense to order certain oddball things online, even if I get slammed with shipping charges if the item originates in the US.

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️
Ya, I'm in the same position. I try to buy as much locally too, but I am nowhere near a large city. The nearest mall here is also in a pretty sad state of affairs. 1/3 of the retail space is empty and for lease. Hardly anyone in there. Not like they used to be when I was a kid.

So there simply are times when it makes sense to order certain oddball things online, even if I get slammed with shipping charges if the item originates in the US.
Creative destruction, the convenience of the new, destroys the old. Not always necessarily for the better, but thats; for future innovation.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
From my observations, the quality of the workforce in general has been significantly lowered. Millennials are horrible workers.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Capture.png
The American postal service is severely backlogged. It took nearly 6 months for a vinyl record of JJ Vale Naturally to arrive in Australia. Worth the wait but…

I got an item from Califonia via DHL, one of the premier private delivery services in the world, and it took them a month. Even tho it was only about 1300 miles to where I live.

Again, it's staffing problem and COVID..
It takes them longer with fewer workers and more restrictions.

They can't just throw it int he truck or plane anymore.

Likely has to be quarantined, inspected for viruses all sorts of junk now.

so I sympathize with them.

OP
OP
DDT

DDT

Factory Bastard
From my observations, the quality of the workforce in general has been significantly lowered. Millennials are horrible workers.
Not always though. While we may see some of the younger generation confused as to how a floor mop operates while working at the local McDonald's, I've worked with quite a few younger construction crews that seemed to know their shit and weren't afraid to work!

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Not always though. While we may see some of the younger generation confused as to how a floor mop operates while working at the local McDonald's, I've worked with quite a few younger construction crews that seemed to know their shit and weren't afraid to work!

Yeah, there are exceptions.

But generally Millennials are useless. And I am not talking just those with manual labour jobs. They are an entire generation of lazy thinkers. They feel no need to understand anything too deeply. They really think they can Google the information and that will get them by.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The USPS is rife with thieving n'rz who open every single card to steal money. FACT! I looked at all the christmas cards my mom and step dad got and every single envelope had been tampered with and torn at least part way open.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
The USPS is rife with thieving n'rz who open every single card to steal money. FACT! I looked at all the christmas cards my mom and step dad got and every single envelope had been tampered with and torn at least part way open.

To be fair, they might only do that to the envelopes that have the "KKK Forever!!!" stickers.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Then they must try much harder for Internaitonal Delivery.

In all honesty I think USPS global is better and takes less time than our Canadian postal system.

I commend the job your US postal workers are doing during a very difficult time.

If you were doing that job, you'd probably understand better what they're going through.

I'm sure its rough and that many postal workers either got sick or even died on the job.

They put themselves in harms way so you wouldn't have to do that kind of work @Lokmar

Last edited:

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Delivering mail must be hard.

So many addresses.

Likewise, I respect 300 lb guys standing 6'6" with grade 6 educations who can lift telephone poles or pipe weighing hundreds of pounds with their bare hands. I've seen these guys at work 'in the pit' and I realize without them a lot of things would never get done & society would stop functioning.

We need these people and we should respect them for the jobs they do.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Delivering mail must be hard.

So many addresses.
They definitely earn their money if they're doing door to door... Spending your entire shift walking around outdoors with a heavy mailbag in all weather conditions is not a job that everyone could handle.

Two guys on my last hockey team were post office workers. They did the door to door delivery. Good guys, but not exactly physical specimens. Certainly could handle more than the average person, though.