Anyone have any reason to believe Tesla isn't the best when it comes to solar panels?

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
I'm discussing options with them now to power my 4300 sq ft home and provide their powerwall battery backup system

based on the size of my house and my current usage they are estimating around 42,000.00

that only cuts my bill in half and provides me with about half a day of battery backup if the power company goes down.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
How much money per month is it estimated to save you?

What is the life expectancy of the solar panels? What are the estimated maintenance costs?

OP
OP
Biggie Smiles

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter

What is the life expectancy of the solar panels? What are the estimated maintenance costs?

Good question.

Their panels generate approximately 22,175 KW per year with 2 backup batteries which allegedly provide sustained power for up to 12 hours without sunlight or grid access.

I currently use on 60,000 KW per year to power my home and my spa. I'm putting in a pool heater so up that number to probably 70K in the coming year.

I currently pay on average 560.00 a month for electric

THe solar panel installation is 6,000 down and 444.24 a month over a 120 month loan lifespan.

so my electric costs drop by maybe 200 bucks but then tack on this 444 and I'm looking at 800 to 900 bucks

which wouldn't be a problem for me if those batteries lasted more than 12 hours as my primary business driver is power resiliancy in the event of an outage with a utility savings being a nice to have

I'm leaning towards my original thought of a Genrac Natural gas 22KW backup generator. It's about 6K to purchase. Plus another 2K in electrician fees

A 500lb tank will run me about 3000.00 to install and 50 bucks a month to lease and I have to use about 100.00 worth of gas every month so I'd probably go with a 215K BTU natural gas pool heater and be done with it

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Shit, and with the batteries losing their capacity over time, you are looking at significant ongoing costs with the Powerwall option.

Sounds like a generator is the way to go...and make sure you have gas in the tank. Does the Generac also work with propane? I know some of them do work with either natural gas or propane. I'm not sure how long you can store propane versus natural gas, but that would be a factor.

Pre-Y2K, the company I worked for installed a gasoline generator...a big one. It had a Chevy 350 V8. We had off-site storage for the gasoline and it was a process to use the gasoline and replenish the supply so it was always fresh enough. The building maintenance guy used to run the generator for a hour or so every week to make sure the engine was running nicely.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
You'd be better off with a Kholer than a Generjunk.

I dont have any first hand knowledge with Teslas panels but I've been told their inverter tech, which turns D/C to A/C and vice versa, is top notch.

And pretty much all backup gens can run off LPV or NG. All the companies have made it pretty easy.

If you put many hours on that gen per year or you think you will have periods where your outages could last a week or more, a liquid cooled gen would be better than an air cooled. Air cooled run at 3600 RPM while liquid cooled run at 1800RPM. Longer engine life and quieter. You can also get upgraded sound deadening in liquid cooled. Of course a liquid cooled is about 2.5 X the price of air cooled.

Install prices are the same.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I'm discussing options with them now to power my 4300 sq ft home and provide their powerwall battery backup system

based on the size of my house and my current usage they are estimating around 42,000.00

that only cuts my bill in half and provides me with about half a day of battery backup if the power company goes down.

Unlike where I live, You have no shortage of sunshine in Florida Bigly.

You don't really need Natural Gas or petrol to fuel your homes where you live.

Florida could heat/air condition their homes almost entirley with solar power.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Unlike where I live, You have no shortage of sunshine in Florida Bigly.

You don't really need Natural Gas or petrol to fuel your homes where you live.

Florida could heat/air condition their homes almost entirley with solar power.
No, idiot. You ever heard of the term "locked rotor amps"?

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
flux.jpg

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
They've been having real problems making the solar roof last 30 years and come in a color other than black yet still generate a good amount of solar power. Theor battery packs are great though more expensive than many competitors. Tesla does have a great software app which is easy to use, allow people to easily set up when they want to charge their car or home power wall and when to sell power to the grid.

Supposedly, they have also customer service issues because they rely upon 3rd part contractors to install the solar roofs and don't do it themselves. This means resolving any issues can take months and there have been many installation issues.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

The $42,000 figure seems especially low given that their average installation costs around $70,000 and that is going to be an average sized home and not a large one like yours. Maybe you got quoted for regular solar panels and not a solar roof though.

OP
OP
Biggie Smiles

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
No solr

The $42,000 figure seems especially low given that their average installation costs around $70,000 and that is going to be an average sized home and not a large one like yours. Maybe you got quoted for regular solar panels and not a solar roof though.
No solar roof.

there’s a 20k tax credit so maybe this is the price difference

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
WRT heating the pool... A roof top solar thermal water heating system can help though the electricity cost to constantly pump and circulate the water does add up. We had a system like that in the 1980's and 1990's when I was growing up. The problem is it never really heated the water much about 68 to 70 degrees and that was with a pool cover being used. It never really got toasty warm. I have heard of people putting a small wibdmill/weather vane on their roof to use mechanical wind power to pump the water up to the solar thermal heater panels but never had one myself.

When you do want to have the water nice and warm for a pool party or what not then nothing beats natural gas heating.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Id be wary of who manufactured the batteries, and where. The electronics is tricky too. When 100% functional, it’s an awesome set up. Careful of who you choose, and what it includes. Guarantees and warranties critical

OP
OP
Biggie Smiles

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
WRT heating the pool... A roof top solar thermal water heating system can help though the electricity cost to constantly pump and circulate the water does add up. We had a system like that in the 1980's and 1990's when I was growing up. The problem is it never really heated the water much about 68 to 70 degrees and that was with a pool cover being used. It never really got toasty warm. I have heard of people putting a small wibdmill/weather vane on their roof to use mechanical wind power to pump the water up to the solar thermal heater panels but never had one myself.

When you do want to have the water nice and warm for a pool party or what not then nothing beats natural gas heating.
My buddy down here told me to go with a gas/propane system to heat my pool

I think I’m just gonna go with that instead of this solar stuff. The more I research and calculate the more I don’t see the ROI in going solar

Thanks all of y’all for the valuable input

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

Good question.

Their panels generate approximately 22,175 KW per year with 2 backup batteries which allegedly provide sustained power for up to 12 hours without sunlight or grid access.

I currently use on 60,000 KW per year to power my home and my spa. I'm putting in a pool heater so up that number to probably 70K in the coming year.

I currently pay on average 560.00 a month for electric

THe solar panel installation is 6,000 down and 444.24 a month over a 120 month loan lifespan.

so my electric costs drop by maybe 200 bucks but then tack on this 444 and I'm looking at 800 to 900 bucks

which wouldn't be a problem for me if those batteries lasted more than 12 hours as my primary business driver is power resiliancy in the event of an outage with a utility savings being a nice to have

I'm leaning towards my original thought of a Genrac Natural gas 22KW backup generator. It's about 6K to purchase. Plus another 2K in electrician fees

A 500lb tank will run me about 3000.00 to install and 50 bucks a month to lease and I have to use about 100.00 worth of gas every month so I'd probably go with a 215K BTU natural gas pool heater and be done with it

I don't know about Tesla, we are going to go through Quality Solar for solar panels. We are also replacing the entire roof.

Crazy our electric bill is close to yours. And my place is tiny compared to yours.

I've been looking at generators myself lol. I got much more serious about that when our power got knocked out a few days ago. My whole goal is to lower our energy costs and reliance on the state and have off grid capabilities even if only for a short while. I'm just putting in a few panels to help out, I'm going to try relying on it.

I'm most excited about the wood burning stove I'm gonna slap in this bitch. And I wanna build a rain water collection system.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

My buddy down here told me to go with a gas/propane system to heat my pool

I think I’m just gonna go with that instead of this solar stuff. The more I research and calculate the more I don’t see the ROI in going solar

Thanks all of y’all for the valuable input

Can u have a hybrid system & use the propane system when it's advantageous and solar for other occasions when it's not as critical?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
That is what I would do.

You can do a lot with solar power in a warm temperate climate like California or Florida. I remember this place I lived in when I was in California heated their outdoor pool for the Greater part of the year with solar power. It was a pool for over 100 condo units. And that was like 25 years ago with far less advanced technology. So an indoor heated pool should be a cinch in those states.

Last edited:

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Tesla has been coming up with a few new product ideas. First they are going to turn their super charger network into branded restaurants as well as teaming up with existing restaurant brands. So people will pull in to charge up there car, they can order off their Tesla touch screen, and their food will be brought to them by a car hop on roller skates.

The other big idea is a Tesla brand smart phone which would use SpaceX world wide network of satellites to connect calls as well as to send and receive data. That way Tesla doesn't have to partner with any service providers but can compete directly against existing phone network companies. They'd also bundle home and office internet and phone services.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
It would be nice if Tesla would get into the chip making business as well since there is such a shortage and verticle integration would be a good way to buffer theor business against the global shortage. Hell, if you are making microchips and phones and cars and solar panels and rockets and satellites then why not other electronics? That way they can have a whole integrated ecosystem for customers.

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
Ever heath or SOLAR EDGE ? That is what We have here but only been here 1 month so will keep track and see if we save anything - - - - - -