Best Biltong and Beef Jerky recipes…

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
Post all your favourites recipes, rubs, enhancements here…

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

images

OP
OP
Breakfall

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
I’m actually in the process of salting. 3hrs is needed, but no more than 10hrs.

ItDPQM8.jpg

*I used a baking tray, layered in course rock salt. I have about 3 layers of topside beef, approximately 1” thickness. It’s in the fridge drawing in the salt necessary for the dehydration and curing process.

OP
OP
Breakfall

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
TYNoXj0.jpg
Here’s my DIY biltong air cooler. It’s a garbage bin, with a computer fan installed under the lid. There are ventilation holes below to allow adequate air flow. When my salted and spiced meat is ready to hang, I’ll use metal paper clips pierced through the meat and hang sections from the wooden dowels.

ef0WUxD.jpg

sJohJ0H.jpg

OP
OP
Breakfall

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
I’m going to try these American BBQ style dry rubs. But in addition, I’ll be dry-frying some whole fennel seeds and whole coriander seeds until smoky, and then grinding them together with black pepper seeds in a mortar and pestle. I’ll add this with the rub.

n3C59k8.jpg

OP
OP
Breakfall

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
*Weather is still cool (22’C/ 72’F) so should be ready in 5 days under constant fan.

*In warmer weather (30’C/ 86’F) it should take about three days.

*In humid weather where mould may grow on meat, just brush lightly with brown or white vinegar.

*Freezer biltong to keep it from aging and drying harder or place in brown paper bags in pantry to keep it aging if a harder biltong/jerky is preferred.

Enjoy ya fucking Bastards!

:Awesome:

OP
OP
Breakfall

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
Oi @Blazor …you’re from the South…don’t you blokes like jerky? I thought all Americans loved jerky?

In South Africa it’s the #1 snack food. Australia is benefiting from the post-Apartheid immigration wave. Before the Saffers arrived, they had no idea how to properly make, produce and package biltong for the general public.

OP
OP
Breakfall

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
3yrXuor.jpg
Well it’s been 3 days since I commenced the air-curing.I sampled a smaller piece that I felt might be ready, and perfect!

Last edited: