Compared to the Tesla, The 911 Turbo S only does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds....but it will do it 50 times in a row. And still be ready for moar.

OP
OP
Admin.

Admin.

The Goat
Site Supporter ☠️
I run a fleet of Fiat 500e's. The future is electric.
I agree, I think the super car niche will love on for a generation or so, but mass market wise yes internal combustion only, is on its death bed, or at least getting very close to it. It will take some years for the charging station infrastructure to support all those EV's and as it does the ev's will come.

The Scoundrel

Total Twat
I run a fleet of Fiat 500e's. The future is electric.
I agree, I think the super car niche will love on for a generation or so, but mass market wise yes internal combustion only, is on its death bed, or at least getting very close to it. It will take some years for the charging station infrastructure to support all those EV's and as it does the ev's will come.

Like all other forms of sustainable energy but it will happen and the sooner the better. We're close to running out of time with our consumption and the floating fields of plastic etc. We already have the cures it's time to implement.

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️
The only thing I don't like about EVs is that they're too quiet... People and animals will get struck a lot more, I remember a mate got a big merc estate as a courtesy car and the thing was quiet, real quiet... He said on country roads he ran over loads of birds and some rabbits because they couldn't hear him coming until it was too late... I think they need to sort that out, as stupid as it sounds maybe a fake engine noise would be beneficial?

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
The only thing I don't like about EVs is that they're too quiet... People and animals will get struck a lot more, I remember a mate got a big merc estate as a courtesy car and the thing was quiet, real quiet... He said on country roads he ran over loads of birds and some rabbits because they couldn't hear him coming until it was too late... I think they need to sort that out, as stupid as it sounds maybe a fake engine noise would be beneficial?

These work:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I think you people have counted out the ICE's far too soon. There's a waste air design thats way more thermally efficient, so much so, it doesnt even need a water jacketed block or massive cooling fins to make big power.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
I think you people have counted out the ICE's far too soon. There's a waste air design thats way more thermally efficient, so much so, it doesnt even need a water jacketed block or massive cooling fins to make big power.

I went from #7 to #4 on one of my waiting lists. The sales guy said when I get to #2 it is time to sit down and go over the build.

It will be gasoline for me for a while if I get this thing ordered.

OP
OP
Admin.

Admin.

The Goat
Site Supporter ☠️
We're not going to go EV overnight, this will be an evolution, not a revolution, but I think a reasonably rapid one assuming the electrical grid for them can be established, which is the great big IF, if we can look to the already seen fragility of our current power grid....makes one think we should seriously work on that power grid stuff.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
When The Depopulation Program starts to see real results there will be lots of electricity, lots of fossil fuels, lots of open roads to open 'er up!!

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I went from #7 to #4 on one of my waiting lists. The sales guy said when I get to #2 it is time to sit down and go over the build.

My wife and I have an order for a new Acadia in. When it will actually go to the factory is anyones guess but they are supposed to call and confirm the options when the allocation has a green light.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard

My wife and I have an order for a new Acadia in. When it will actually go to the factory is anyones guess but they are supposed to call and confirm the options when the allocation has a green light.

The one dealer I went to was like the others at first. I gave them a $1000 deposit to hold my place in the line.

Then the sales managers sends me a Purchase Agreement. It detailed the build. I say "I might want to change the build." He says "You can change it at the time we place the order." I say "Okay, but this one section in the fine print that you voided concerns me."

It is a section for "Delays in Delivery of the Vehicle...". They marked it "Void" because it states 90 days and they know the delay will be more than 90 days. But that is the only section that states that I can cancel the contract and get my deposit back.

This is actually part of the e-mail I sent:

"The concern I have is that I don't see a way for me to cancel the agreement because that section has been voided/removed. The way this is written, it looks like years could pass with no end in sight, and I wouldn't be able to cancel the order and have my deposit refunded.

Let's wait until my turn to order comes up, then enter into the agreement with the 90 day delay section included. If too much time passes before my turn comes up, I'd like to be able to get my deposit refunded in full."

He sends back:

"We will cancel the deal up until the day the order is in place to production by GM, it could take a couple years but you have the option to cancel up until the production time. Technically if you cancel the list moves up to the next person in line and same goes with anyone in front of you. We put all the same disclosure on all bill of sales. "

I say "Where does it detail the option to cancel and receive a refund of deposit on the Purchase Agreement?"

He says "these are standard terms and conditions at all dealerships. We will offer the deposit back if you wish to cancel and remove you from the line on the Corvette, but once the vehicle is in production it will be built and cannot cancel at that time. If the dealer agrees to cancel the deal the deposit will be refunded. "

I got my refund back and am not dealing with them. Fuckin' 20 years could pass by and they would not have to give up the deposit if they did not want to, because that section was removed.

I have factory ordered 3 vehicles in my life. I know once the order goes to the factory, it is set in stone and the car is yours. But I am on several lists, so I need to be able to walk away from the others once my name comes up.

Hey, I have a good story about factory ordering cars. It might not translate well in written form, but I will try...

My wife ordered a Cadillac CTS. She had always had manual transmission cars and she had no preference. When she is going over the build with the sales guy, he assumed she wanted automatic, but my wife said "Whatever is cheaper." He was a little chauvinistic and he looked at me, like I needed to approve it. I just said "Whatever she wants, it is her car." Anyways, that visit was to get a quote. We took those build specs to other dealers to get apples-to-apples quotes. That is a great way to get a great deal, BTW. Not now, but in normal times when there are not waiting lists to buy new cars. Pit the dealers against each other with an exact apples-to-apples car. Anyways, they end up giving us the best price, so we are in there again to make the deal. He says again "And you wanted the manual. The stick shift. The transmission that you have to change gears yourself." It is funny as fuck because I can see he is worried that he is going to get the car and my wife will not want it and there is no way they want a Cadillac CTS with a manual transmission on their lot. My wife always replies "Yeah, whatever is cheaper." She knows he is concerned and why, but she thinks it is funny, so she never offers anything like "Do not worry, I have only ever driven manual. Even my first Plymouth Reliant K-car was a manual." He re-checked about 3 more times. "And you want the manual transmission, right?" And then the finance guy (who they sent us to even though we were just writing a cheque) also says something like "Oh, and a manual transmission. Nice. You must be a real driving enthusiast!" Like it was one last ditch effort to make fuckin' sure my wife knew what a manual transmission was!! "Whatever is cheaper."

So this story could have ended with a great punch line, but my wife did not play along. I knew they were going to make a big deal when the car finally arrived. Sit you down in it, go over the controls, etc. etc. So the car came in. My wife actually saw it on the truck on her way to work when the truck was on the expressway. She called me from her work and said "I think I saw my new car!" We got the call later in the day. When we were driving there, I tried to convince my wife to do this, but she did not because she lacks a sense of fuckin' humour. But it would have been funny if when she first sat in the car she looked at the floor and said "Why are there two brakes? And how do I put it into Drive?"

I swear the guy would have had a heart attack.

Last edited: