Compassion Fatigue for the Unvaccinated

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I am posting this in politics because even common sense good health practices have been politicized across the Western world. It's not political.

Op-Ed: As a doctor in a COVID unit, I'm running out of compassion for the unvaccinated. Get the shot

My patient sat at the edge of his bed gasping for air while he tried to tell me his story, pausing to catch his breath after each word. The plastic tubes delivering oxygen through his nose hardly seemed adequate to stop his chest from heaving. He looked exhausted.

He had tested positive for the coronavirus 10 days ago. He was under 50, mildly hypertensive but otherwise in good health. Eight days earlier he started coughing and having severe fatigue. His doctor started him on antibiotics. It did not work. Fearing his symptoms were worsening, he started taking some hydroxychloroquine he had found on the internet. It did not work.

He was now experiencing shortness of breath while doing routine daily activities such as walking from his bedroom to the bathroom or putting on his shoes. He was a shell of his former self. He eventually made his way to a facility where he could receive
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, a lab-produced transfusion that substitutes for the body’s own antibodies. It did not work.

He finally ended up in the ER with dangerously low oxygen levels, exceedingly high inflammatory markers and patchy areas of infection all over his lungs. Nothing had helped. He was getting worse. He could not breathe. His wife and two young children were at home, all infected with COVID. He and his wife had decided not to get vaccinated.

Last year, a case like this would have flattened me. I would have wrestled with the sadness and how unfair life was. Battled with the angst of how unlucky he was. This year, I struggled to find sympathy. It was August 2021, not 2020. The
for months in the U.S., free to anyone who wanted it, even offered in drugstores and supermarkets. Cutting-edge, revolutionary, mind-blowing, lifesaving vaccines were available where people shopped for groceries, and they still didn’t want them.

Outside his hospital door, I took a deep breath — battening down my anger and frustration — and went in. I had been working the COVID units for 17 months straight, all day, every day. I had cared for hundreds of COVID patients. We all had, without being able to take breaks long enough to help us recover from this unending ordeal. Compassion fatigue was setting in. For those of us who hadn’t left after the hardest year of our professional lives, even hope was now in short supply.

Shouting through my N95 mask and the noise of the HEPA filter, I introduced myself. I calmly asked him why he decided not to get vaccinated.
“Well, I’m not an anti-vaxxer or anything. I was just waiting for the FDA to approve the vaccine first. I didn’t want to take anything experimental. I didn’t want to be the government’s guinea pig, and I don’t trust that it’s safe,” he said.

“Well,” I said, “I can pretty much guarantee we would have never met had you gotten vaccinated because you would have never been hospitalized. All of our COVID units are full and every single patient in them is unvaccinated. Numbers don’t lie. The vaccines work.”

This was a common excuse people gave for not getting vaccinated, fearing the vaccine because the Food and Drug Administration had only
so far, not permanent approval. Yet the treatments he had turned to, antibiotics, monoclonal antibodies and hydroxychloroquine were considered experimental, with mixed evidence to support their use.

The only proven lifesaver we’ve had in this pandemic is a vaccine that many people don’t want. A vaccine we give away to other countries because supply overwhelms demand in the U.S. A vaccine people in other countries stand in line for hours to receive, if they can get it at all.

“Well," I said, “I am going to treat you with, remdesivir, which only recently received FDA approval.” I explained that it had been under an EUA for most of last year and had not been studied or administered as widely as COVID-19 vaccines. That
had been administered in the U.S. along with
without any overwhelming, catastrophic side effects. “Not nearly as many doses of remdesivir have been given or studied in people and its long-term side effects are still unknown,” I said. “Do you still want me to give it to you?”

“Yes” he responded, “Whatever it takes to save my life.”

It did not work.

My patient died nine days later from a fatal stroke. We, the care team, reconciled this loss by telling ourselves: He made a personal choice not to get vaccinated, not to protect himself or his family. We did everything we could with what we had to save him. This year, this tragedy, this unnecessary, entirely preventable loss, was on him.

The burden of this pandemic now rests on the shoulders of the unvaccinated. On those who are eligible to get vaccinated, but choose not to, a decision they defend by declaring, “vaccination is a deeply personal choice.” But perhaps never in history has anyone’s personal choice impacted the world as a whole as it does right now. When hundreds and thousands of people continue to die, when the most vulnerable members of society, our children, cannot be vaccinated — the luxury of choice ceases to exist.

If you believe the pandemic is almost over and you can ride it out, without getting vaccinated, you could not be more wrong. This virus will find you.

If you believe I’ll just wait until the FDA approves the vaccine first, you may not live to see the day.

If you believe if I get infected I’ll just go to the hospital and get treated, there is no guarantee we can save your life, nor even a promise we’ll have a bed for you.

If you believe I’m pregnant and I don’t want the vaccine to affect me, my baby or my future fertility, it matters little if you’re not alive to see your newborn.

If you believe I won’t get my children vaccinated because I don’t know what the long-term effects will be, it matters little if they don’t live long enough for you to find out.

If you believe I’ll just let everyone else get vaccinated around me so I don’t have to, there are 93 million eligible, unvaccinated people in the “herd” who think the same way you do and are getting in the way of ending this pandemic.

If you believe vaccinated people are getting infected anyway so what’s the point?, the vaccine was built to prevent hospitalizations and deaths from severe illness. Instead of fatal pneumonia, those with breakthrough infections have a short, bad cold, so the vaccine has already proved itself. The vaccinated are not dying from COVID-19.

SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, has mutated countless times during this pandemic, adapting to survive. Stacked up against a human race that has resisted change every step of the way — including wearing masks, social distancing, quarantining and now refusing lifesaving vaccines — it is easy to see who will win this war if human behavior fails to change quickly.

The most effective thing you can do to protect yourself, your loved ones and the world, is to GET VACCINATED.
And it will work.

Anita Sircar is an infectious disease physician and clinical instructor of health sciences at the UCLA School of Medicine.
This story originally appeared in

• Interesting
Reactions: Joe
OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I am all aquiver in anticipation if Doh'ves deconstruction of this Medicine Man's empiricle opinion.

I'm sure Dove knows more than that the doc that went to 4 years of undergrad, 3 years of medical school, 1 year internship, 3 years of residency and since she specialized, a fellowship as well.

I'm confident that her experience is far more real than this doctor who has been on the front lines of Covid for more than a year.

I'm also sure that all the conservatives would use the same excuses that patient did and try experimental shit that doesn't have any approved use for Covid-19 and pretend that those that have made better choices are the problem.

Last edited:

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
If you dont like treating the unvaxed, quit your job. Simple, really. I'm not vaxed. People who are sick with covid dont need the vax.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
If you dont like treating the unvaxed, quit your job. Simple, really. I'm not vaxed. People who are sick with covid dont need the vax.

FYI, she's not here. She can't read you. How about you learn to address the topic and not the person in an article? It's like screaming at the TV doesn't work either, dummy.

She's doing her job. The point is that others aren't.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

FYI, she's not here. She can't read you. How about you learn to address the topic and not the person in an article? It's like screaming at the TV doesn't work either, dummy.

Its a general statement, dumbass. BTW, this is a flat out fucking LIE!:
“Well,” I said, “I can pretty much guarantee we would have never met had you gotten vaccinated because you would have never been hospitalized. All of our COVID units are full and every single patient in them is unvaccinated. Numbers don’t lie. The vaccines work.”

My son in law has had several vaxed patients who've died.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Maybe she hasn't, think of that. She is a infectious disease expert that teaches in medical school. Perhaps she's an exceptional doctor in a great hospital.

Admin.

I aim to be smugly pedantic, or vice verse.
Site Supporter ☠️

I am extremely shocked he is still licensed to practice medicine, but then it is Desantis country.

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
Meanwhile the local ER still has a wait time of 120 to 180 seconds. THe parking lot is empty and the ambulances are all parked as they have been for weeks now

maybe the COVID patients are entering the ICU through a wormhole?

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Maybe she hasn't, think of that. She is a infectious disease expert that teaches in medical school. Perhaps she's an exceptional doctor in a great hospital.
Maybe its a fake news story or the doc is a fukin liar.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I am extremely shocked he is still licensed to practice medicine, but then it is Desantis country.
Well, he prolly makes in a month what you make in a year or more, so PWN3D!

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

And most likely porking an RN on the side.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Maybe your son in law is a basic bitch doctor.

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️

And and the RN's Daughter, the sick twisted fuck!

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Doubtful. My daughter is a godess. Jelly poors like you dont like the idea of someone making $500K/yr.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Maybe your son in law is a basic bitch doctor.
Maybe even worse than that. He gets paid tho! PWN3D!

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

And and the RN's Daughter, the sick twisted fuck!
The jelly is strong in libtardlandia tonight!!! BWAAAAHAHAHAHA!

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Doubtful. My daughter is a godess. Jelly poors like you dont like the idea of someone making $500K/yr.

Even the most beautiful of women have been cheated on. Get real. I don't care how much people make. Don't project your inadequacies onto me.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Even the most beautiful of women have been cheated on. Get real. I don't care how much people make. Don't project your inadequacies onto me.
Sorry bitch, YOU were projecting. I suspect you were cheated on often...prolly cause you're a loud mouthed bitch and a cow. Hoes like you figure all men cheat cause all men cheat on you. I cheated on my ex all the time. She was a bad mom and a miserable skank that bitched all the time. I've been married to my current wife for 20 years, never cheated. Dont need to. I've got it GREAT! After my ex and I were divorced, my ex lost everything and eventually had to go on psych meds. I suppose the bitch finally realized it was her. You bitches are all alike.

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️

Sorry bitch, YOU were projecting. I suspect you were cheated on often...prolly cause you're a loud mouthed bitch and a cow. Hoes like you figure all men cheat cause all men cheat on you. I cheated on my ex all the time. She was a bad mom and a miserable skank that bitched all the time. I've been married to my current wife for 20 years, never cheated. Dont need to. I've got it GREAT! After my ex and I were divorced, my ex lost everything and eventually had to go on psych meds. I suppose the bitch finally realized it was her. You bitches are all alike.
Methinks she doth protest, too much.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Methinks you prolapsed thine asshole too much!

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️

@Principal please make lokmrd stop talking about my naughty parts.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Plastic surgery might be able to give you some continence again. Seek help!

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️

Sorry the hair plugs all got infected and oozed all that stinky green "puss", nonstop....raallphhh!

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Sorry the hair plugs all got infected and oozed all that stinky green "puss", nonstop....raallphhh!
I'd never waste money on my hair. I'd rather buy guns, ammo, fast cars, and nice vacations. Speaking of which, I'm gonna fly down to Orlando in another month or so to stay at The Royal Pacific and go to Universals Halloween Horror Nights. I promissed my son in law I'd bring down some guns so we can go to the range again just down the street from Universal. Now I could stay with them in their 4000+sq ft McMansion but staying at a premium on property hotel gets you up to 4 express passes!

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️

I'd never waste money on my hair. I'd rather buy guns, ammo, fast cars, and nice vacations. Speaking of which, I'm gonna fly down to Orlando in another month or so to stay at The Royal Pacific and go to Universals Halloween Horror Nights. I promissed my son in law I'd bring down some guns so we can go to the range again just down the street from Universal. Now I could stay with them in their 4000+sq ft McMansion but staying at a premium on property hotel gets you up to 4 express passes!
How wonderful, I can feel your excitement. I could not be more happy for you. </wink.emoji>

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

How wonderful, I can feel your excitement. I could not be more happy for you. </wink.emoji>
You could always book a room in downtown Palm Springs, faggit.