Holliday 3000
100+⚡Milestone
- Reaction score
- 73
- Location
- Shangri La
WASHINGTON (AP) — Tulsi Gabbard resigned as President Donald Trump's director of national intelligence on Friday, saying she needed to leave office as her husband battles cancer, becoming the fourth Cabinet member to depart during Trump’s second term.
In her resignation letter, which she posted on social media, Gabbard said she told Trump she would leave her job overseeing the coordination of 18 intelligence agencies on June 30. She said her husband had recently been diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer and “faces major challenges in the coming weeks and months.”
“At this time, I must step away from public service to be by his side and fully support him through this battle,” she wrote in the letter, which was reported earlier by Fox News.
Iran put Gabbtard and The Orange Menace at odds
There had been rumblings that Gabbard would split with Trump after the president's decision to strike Iran, which caused some division within his administration. Joe Kent, director of the National Counterterrorism Center, in March and said he “cannot in good conscience” back the war.Gabbard, a veteran and former Democratic congresswoman from Hawaii, built her political name on her opposition to foreign wars. This put her in an awkward position when the U.S. joined Israel in launching attacks on Iran on Feb. 28.
During a congressional hearing in March, her measured comments were notable for their careful non-endorsement of the Iran war. She repeatedly dodged questions about whether the White House had been warned of potential fallout from the conflict, including Iran’s effective closure of the , a waterway crucial for global oil shipments.
Last edited: