Has anyone installed solar on their house?

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Is PG&E your utility provider in San Diego?

SDG&E. Any solar system I install has to be approved by SDG&E and they deliberately cap how much output you are allowed so that you will always have to pay them something.

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
SDG&E. Any solar system I install has to be approved by SDG&E and they deliberately cap how much output you are allowed so that you will always have to pay them something.
You don't say? You mean the power company has to approve any system which will ultimately ties back to their grid?

Thus invalidating all of Sea Major's sage advice on how to ensure your solar panel installers aren't really fry cooks in disguise?

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I’d be very careful of the batteries that your Solar installer chooses to go with. Additionally the Solar contractor needs to interact with your C-10 Electrical Contractor to insure all is safe and fully functional. Both need to be involved. To me it’s more about a solid functional system.

I am making it battery ready with a hybrid converter (as large a capacity converter as I can get approved so that I can build it out larger in the future if I want) but battery prices so high right now. So I will wait and see what happens with prices.

Last edited:

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
Yeah.... it was an American company.... that should have been my first warning.... they're called Modern Homes....
Well, as seamajor points out so eloquently you have to follow some very important steps when choosing a solar panel vendor / installation company.

First - make sure your installation company was founded on Planet earth. This may seem trivial but while having some of the most advanced societies in the universe aliens simply don't have the human background required to properly understand how solar energy might impact the daily lives of every day human beings.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
You don't say? You mean the power company has to approve any system which will ultimately ties back to their grid?

Thus invalidating all of Sea Major's sage advice on how to ensure your solar panel installers aren't really fry cooks in disguise?

Did my sound, educated, experienced advice bother you. I’d love to inform you about the hundreds of installations I’ve been involved in. I could tell you were out of your league by your first post.

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
No seriously. When you said the contractor should be licensed and what not? I knew I was dealing with the real deal on this one.

Then you really topped it all off when you methodically laid out all that wisdom about electrical wiring and how it should be connected back to the house wiring.

Just imagine if Oerdin didn’t know that already and his installers had something like PVC planned for him?

Crisis averted!

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I am making it battery ready with a hybrid converter (as large a capacity converter as I can get improved so that I can build it out larger in the future if I want) but battery prices such right now. So I will wait and see what happens with prices.

Best of luck. You seem to be going about it in the right manner

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I am only looking at a six kilowatt system system but supposedly this inverter can handle up to 18 kilowatts. This is important because if you add another invertor or change the inverter then you have to get a new agreement with the utility company which would be Net Metering 3.0 which pays 85% less.