Has anyone installed solar on their house?

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
If so, do you have anything I should look out for, recommendations, or other advice? Currently I am speaking to an agent about installing solar and am trying to get it done before California changes the law wrt net metering. I want to get in on net metering 2.0 because under net metering 3.0 the utilities will reduce their compensation sold back to the gride by 85%.

California pretends they care so much about the environment but then they are disencentivizing people from installing it. That seems like b.s..

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
If so, do you have anything I should look out for, recommendations, or other advice? Currently I am speaking to an agent about installing solar and am trying to get it done before California changes the law wrt net metering. I want to get in on net metering 2.0 because under net metering 3.0 the utilities will reduce their compensation sold back to the gride by 85%.

California pretends they care so much about the environment but then they are disencentivizing people from installing it. That seems like b.s..

Is PG&E your utility provider in San Diego?

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
Yes and I HATE it... it's useless

And 2/3 of Perth people have solar in my state.
I keep hearing that.

I had a solar company come out and I just didn't see the ROI when you factor everything in. Plus, once they told me despite having the adequate battery installations I couldn't leverage it during a power outage because the lines need to be free of power it was a dead deal.

Now I could have rigged it but by then I was already turned off and decided to invest in a generator instead.

I also keep an 8000 watt solar generator around for the most extreme circumstances where I cannot find fuel for my 22,000 watt main backup generator.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I keep hearing that.

I had a solar company come out and I just didn't see the ROI when you factor everything in. Plus, once they told me despite having the adequate battery installations I couldn't leverage it during a power outage because the lines need to be free of power it was a dead deal.

Now I could have rigged it but by then I was already turned off and decided to invest in a generator instead.

I also keep an 8000 watt solar generator around for the most extreme circumstances where I cannot find fuel for my 22,000 watt main backup generator.

What’s a solar generator.

Is your 23,000 W. Based on 120, or 220V?

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
I know the difference between a dude with tits and a real woman, I'll tell you that.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Do you honestly know what a Solar generator is? It’s very simple Stumpy.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
A solar generator is a very basic thing. No thoughts Stumpy?

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

I’d be very careful of the batteries that your Solar installer chooses to go with. Additionally the Solar contractor needs to interact with your C-10 Electrical Contractor to insure all is safe and fully functional. Both need to be involved. To me it’s more about a solid functional system.

Last edited:

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
Yeah Oerdin, make sure these things can get plugged in

that's pretty essential and if your professional installer doesn't know that after specializing in the business for x number of years it's time to reconsider your options.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Yeah Oerdin, make sure these things can get plugged in

that's pretty essential and if your professional installer doesn't know that after specializing in the business for x number of years it's time to reconsider your options.

Tell me more about your installation Stumpy? Actually most interfaced systems are hard wired an not simply plugged in. Still curious about your solar generator

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
Yeah oerdin, make sure you ask about the wire thing too

wires are an important part of any solar installation

helpful hints and questions to ask your installer. Will there be wires involved?

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Make sure you Solar installer holds a C-46 license. What would the equivalent be in Florida Stumpy?

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Yeah oerdin, make sure you ask about the wire thing too

wires are an important part of any solar installation

helpful hints and questions to ask your installer. Will there be wires involved?

The wire thing? Oh brother

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
that's right Oerdin

when you contact Tesla or some similar reputable firm make sure they are supposed to be in business in the first place

you know, with all the twitter problems Elon's been having he might have let his license lapse

sage advice indeed!

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
As I understand the best batteries for these type installations are manufactured in Israel

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
Hey sea, should he make sure his panels are facing the sun as well?

Something he should ask his installer before they negotiate contracts and such?

maybe in the form of a trick question like "I was thinking about burying these panels for added efficiency"

just to see if his installer is on the level?

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
If you had an inkling of a clue, you might discover the power company many times will pick up part of the tab. Most classified bonded contractors are legit. Check references. Only a fool would ask such an embarrassing question like that tho Stumpy

Last edited:

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
Might be a good idea to ask your installer if the wires they intend to use are capable of conducting electricity too

you know, once you're done verifying via google maps that their business address doesn't map to a sunoco restroom or something.

Good luck buddy, good thing you have sea here to guide you through the twists and turns of such a highly complex process.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Its a basic concept. Really nothing that complicated or complex about it. All guided by national electrical codes. What might made it difficult is the ever changing evolving technology

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
Good point!

Oerdin, make sure to quiz your installer to ensure they are abiding by all electrical codes and not those of, let say, plumbing or food service. Very important.

Never-mind if they look at you like you're an asshole, these are very sound and essential questions to ask

And be sure to have them write down the word technology on the back of an envelope or something. Just to make sure they spell it correctly

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
And last but not least!

Make sure your solar panel installer intends to show up to the site fully clothed!

This may seem like a far fetched idea but with firms like Tesla on the verge of collapse one just never can be too careful!