I'm in love with the universe tonight.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Well, every day and every night, actually.

But tonight I can feel the stars in my bones. Their light shines in my blood.

The brightness of Jupiter wants to draw my gaze away from the million suns I see and feel but tonight is not the Old God's night. Tonight my heart belongs to Rigel and Betelgeuse, to Antares and to Polaris. My soul belongs to all its brothers and sisters strewn across the skies. With a thirsty mind, I lap at the Milky Way like a stray kitten too long deprived of a sustaining treat.

I'm in love with the universe tonight.

OP
OP
Blurt

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Also, not twenty minutes ago, I just saw a bald eagle swoop down not thirty feet away from me to grab a big morsel dropped by panicked seagull.

The cosmos is an ever-unfurling spectacle of the grandest order.

Any day is a good day for any human to be participating in the show.

Master Pu

I'll Funk You Up!
@Blurt
Check out Hoags object:
477735main_hoag_hst_big_full.jpg

A ring galaxy 100,000 light years across, 600 Million light years away. About 1 o'clock in the black void is yet another ring galaxy much farther in the distance.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Scooter

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I need to get that stargazer app that my stepbrother-in-law told me about. There's a lot of light pollution here and tall trees blocking the view but I can see enough. I wonder what is this and what is that when I look up at the sky.

OP
OP
Blurt

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Those apps are awesome, Scoots. I still have trouble figuring out the boundaries of constellations. These apps help.

I had one on my phone but I gave it up as my screen was too small. I installed it on tablet instead, even though I don't always carry my tab with me.

The night sky here is a Bortle scale 4, given that we have a fairly small downtown core. Light pollution isn't too much of an issue; I can see a couple hundreds stars with the naked eye. (When I was still living in Montreal, way back when, I was lucky if I could spot two dozen at best.)