Just some general musing on things Portuguese

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Not bragging or any other thing. Just curious about the world around me.

So, I live in a very small village. There is nothing going on here. We are a 10-minute drive from a lovely biggish town with some great historical spots. But my village has little old houses. Quite a few Portuguese people who live in Lisbon buy tiny houses here, fix them up a little, and use them for vacation homes. I am curious about why they do it. There's not much to do or see here. Just trees and rolling hills. It's very pretty, but there are no recreation spots or anything nearby. I wonder why families come to hang out with their children here a dozen times a year or so. They do this in all of the villages I have spent time in. We looked at a house in a little village that was 100% vacation homes. We would have been the only full-time residents. It's so interesting to me. I think it may simply be for the quiet. It's kind of sweet.

Musing on this now because they're mixing concrete two doors down for the little house that is being reno-ed for a family I met last week.

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
They like places like that for that same reason, there's nothing there, if there's nothing, there's no tourists, excess immigrants, crimes and I imagine prices are better too.

Over here people go to "boring" places too for that same reason.

When I wanna rest, I don't wanna go around busy, noisy places or walk the whole day looking at old buildings and churches, I like to sit on a chair for hours looking at nothing.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
They like places like that for that same reason, there's nothing there, if there's nothing, there's no tourists, excess immigrants, crimes and I imagine prices are better too.

When I wanna rest, I don't wanna go around busy, noisy places or walk the whole day looking at old buildings and churches, I like to sit on a chair for hours looking at nothing.

I get that, but I would think they'd want to go to the beaches (I know, I know, tourists) or the mountains. I find it interesting that they come here. I mean, I like it. That's why I'm here. But their idea of a vacation home is very different from the US idea of one.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

I get that, but I would think they'd want to go to the beaches (I know, I know, tourists) or the mountains. I find it interesting that they come here. I mean, I like it. That's why I'm here. But their idea of a vacation home is very different from the US idea of one.

Not nessesarly, Lotus.

Here in Michigan people go up north every year to take a vacation. There is nothing much up there besides woods, rivers, lakes and small towns.

A bunch of Michiganders who live in southern MI have a cabin up north. If they dont have a cabin? They go in tents or campers.

There are people who go a few times a year to hunt and people who just want the nature and peace. I'm definately one of those people.

I've never been a tourist attraction kind of person. My idea of a vacation is peace and rest.