Made in China

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
Diane Sawyer's special report was about all the items in our houses made in China. They removed ALL items from a typical, middle class family's home that were not made in the USA. There was hardly anything left besides the kitchen sink. Literally. During the special they showed truckloads of items, USA made, being brought in to replace everything and talked about how to find these items and the difference in price etc…

It was interesting that Diane said if every American spent just $64 more than normal on USA made items for one year, it would create something like 200,000 new jobs. When buying food at Walmart, often on the label it will say MADE IN CHINA or PRC. For example “Our Family” brand of mandarin oranges say on the label “Made In China” I was shocked for a few more cents I could buy the Liberty Gold brand or the Dole brand made in California, look on the bottom of every product you buy, and if it says 'Made in China ' or 'PRC' (and that now includes Hong Kong), simply choose another product. Think about this: If 200 million Americans each refuse to buy just $20 of Chinese goods, that's a billion dollar trade imbalance resolved in our favor, fast!

Buy American made first.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I agree though the China problem is going to correct itself what with the endless covid shut downs resulting in companies relocating out of China and with the coming demographic collapse of China. 40 years of one child policy means there are few people under 40 left in China and very few of those are a female. So there population is heavily tilted towards the elderly and it is not going to regenerate.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Diane Sawyer's special report was about all the items in our houses made in China. They removed ALL items from a typical, middle class family's home that were not made in the USA. There was hardly anything left besides the kitchen sink. Literally. During the special they showed truckloads of items, USA made, being brought in to replace everything and talked about how to find these items and the difference in price etc…

It was interesting that Diane said if every American spent just $64 more than normal on USA made items for one year, it would create something like 200,000 new jobs. When buying food at Walmart, often on the label it will say MADE IN CHINA or PRC. For example “Our Family” brand of mandarin oranges say on the label “Made In China” I was shocked for a few more cents I could buy the Liberty Gold brand or the Dole brand made in California, look on the bottom of every product you buy, and if it says 'Made in China ' or 'PRC' (and that now includes Hong Kong), simply choose another product. Think about this: If 200 million Americans each refuse to buy just $20 of Chinese goods, that's a billion dollar trade imbalance resolved in our favor, fast!

Buy American made first.

I'm willing to bet there are articles and websites where we can get lists on buying American made products. I'd be willing to spend more to get a better quality product and support our economy.

OP
OP
Murdy

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

Buy American made first.

I'm willing to bet there are articles and websites where we can get lists on buying American made products. I'd be willing to spend more to get a better quality product and support our economy.

lemme see if I can find one… I’ll post it here if I do

Scooter

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Country Of Origin Labelling is a thing. Take a look at frozen seafood products. Most of them are Product Of China.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Nothing but the sound of crickets from MAGAland?

Folks are probably too busy trying to get receipts for their donations to The Official Election Defense Fund.

I hear it's based in Beijing.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Nothing but the sound of crickets from MAGAland?

Folks are probably too busy trying to get receipts for their donations to The Official Election Defense Fund.

I hear it's based in Beijing.

No, it's because people from different sides of politics agree on this. Why would they want to post about solutions when they want to post about how I'm a pig and "admin sucks cock". How does that get them what they want?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
While I buy my share of goods Made in China, I try to buy goods made elsewhere too. There aren't many goods made in Canada, so I buy from our friends from the USA, UK, Europe & Japan.

We probably have a greater proportion of imported goods from Europe in Canada than the USA because of a Free Trade agreement with the EU.

DDT

Factory Bastard
Canada is a prime example of a nation that used to manufacture almost everything, to almost nothing now. We were told that people would be much happier working service sector type jobs instead, so nobody really cared at the time when manufacturing got gutted here. Service sector jobs paid better back then, so with the ability to buy cheap Chinese crap, it appeared as a win-win. And then the service sector started paying minimum wages also, so now people are hooked on cheap Chinese shit out of necessity. And if China gets too expensive, they'll pay some kids in Bangladesh $0.50/day to make your toaster oven. I'd like to see a return to the 1950's to 1980's, but I doubt that will ever happen. Any manufacturing won't be decent paying union jobs here anymore... It'll be filled with a bunch of foreign workers, or in the case of the US by a bunch of minimum wage Mexicans. It'll never be like it was.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
If Peter Zeihan is correct then the breakdown of globalism is going to result in a lot of manufacturing moving back to North America.

DDT

Factory Bastard
If Peter Zeihan is correct then the breakdown of globalism is going to result in a lot of manufacturing moving back to North America.
I'd like to think it would, but it won't... Eventually this manufactured Covid logistical nightmare will be over, and it'll be business as usual, outsourcing to the lowest bidder.

Or another common trend is outsourcing to Mexico, so somehow we can feel better about it being made in North America.

The American Standard toilets I just bought are made in Mexico. Auto manufacturers are still moving plants to Mexico. A lot of hand tools used to be made in the US also, now that's a rarity too unless you go higher end like Snap-On...

Craftsman tools, that everyone owned, now from China. Our Fuller screwdriver plant, closed... Now from China.

Sad situation.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I'd like to think it would, but it won't... Eventually this manufactured Covid logistical nightmare will be over, and it'll be business as usual, outsourcing to the lowest bidder.

Or another common trend is outsourcing to Mexico, so somehow we can feel better about it being made in North America.

The American Standard toilets I just bought are made in Mexico. Auto manufacturers are still moving plants to Mexico. A lot of hand tools used to be made in the US also, now that's a rarity too unless you go higher end like Snap-On...

Craftsman tools, that everyone owned, now from China. Our Fuller screwdriver plant, closed... Now from China.

Sad situation.

I think it will. Energy prices are already cheaper in the US than any where else and most manufacturing is going to end up being located closer to final markets. The US is already the world's largest market and that is only going to grow due to the demographic collapse in most of the rest of the world with few exceptions. Finally, there will be trade barriers.

Thos will make most of the world poorer and worse off, undeniably, but that seems to be where we are heading.