Masha Gessen: In the Shadow of the Holocaust

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Not even free-thinking Jews are immune from the "anti-Semitic" accusation.

"In 2020, a group of academics proposed an alternative definition of antisemitism, which they called the
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
. It defines antisemitism as “discrimination, prejudice, hostility or violence against Jews as Jews (or Jewish institutions as Jewish)” and provides examples that help distinguish anti-Israel statements and actions from antisemitic ones. But although some of the preëminent scholars of the Holocaust participated in drafting the declaration, it has barely made a dent in the growing influence of the I.H.R.A. definition. In 2021, the European Commission published a handbook “for the practical use” of the I.H.R.A. definition, which recommended, among other things, using the definition in training law-enforcement officers to recognize hate crimes, and creating the position of state attorney, or coördinator or commissioner for antisemitism."

"Germany had already implemented this particular recommendation. In 2018, the country created the Office of the Federal Government Commissioner for Jewish Life in Germany and the Fight Against Antisemitism, a
that includes commissioners at the state and local level, some of whom work out of prosecutors’ offices or police precincts. Since then, Germany has reported an almost uninterrupted rise in the number of antisemitic incidents: more than two thousand in 2019, more than three thousand in 2021, and, according to one monitoring group, a shocking nine hundred and ninety-four incidents in the month following the Hamas attack. But the statistics mix what Germans call Israelbezogener Antisemitismus—Israel-related antisemitism, such as instances of criticism of Israeli government policies—with violent attacks, such as an attempted shooting at a synagogue, in Halle, in 2019, which killed two bystanders; shots fired at a former rabbi’s house, in Essen, in 2022; and two Molotov cocktails thrown at a Berlin synagogue this fall. The number of incidents involving violence has, in fact, remained relatively steady, and has not increased following the Hamas attack."

There are now dozens of antisemitism commissioners throughout Germany. They have no single job description or legal framework for their work, but much of it appears to consist of publicly shaming those they see as antisemitic, often for “de-singularizing the Holocaust” or for criticizing Israel. Hardly any of these commissioners are Jewish. Indeed, the proportion of Jews among their targets is certainly higher. These have included the German-Israeli sociologist Moshe Zuckermann, who was targeted for supporting the B.D.S. movement, as was the South African Jewish photographer Adam Broomberg.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Apparently, some people don't care about the thousands of children that have been crushed or burned and charred to death in Gaza.

If they could ever get off their asses to protest their signs would read: Palestinian Lives Don't Matter.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
If these people who claim to be bleeding heart muzzie lovers really gave a shit about Palestinians, they would protest with signs that say

Egypt, Open Your Borders to Palestinian Refugees

But they do not.

Because they are only Virtue Signalling fucktards who want to pat each other on the back while avoiding putting any real effort towards a good, permanent solution.

Admin.

I aim to be smugly pedantic, or vice verse.
Site Supporter ☠️
If these people who claim to be bleeding heart muzzie lovers really gave a shit about Palestinians, they would protest with signs that say

Egypt, Open Your Borders to Palestinian Refugees

But they do not.

Because they are only Virtue Signalling fucktards who want to pat each other on the back while avoiding putting any real effort towards a good, permanent solution.
"BUT WHAT ABOUT DEM GUYS?" So lame.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
"BUT WHAT ABOUT DEM GUYS?" So lame.

Why should we aid and abet the ethnic cleansing of Palestinian territory and why should Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria do so? The fact that anyone says "they should leave" is in fact supporting ethnic cleansing and the exile of Palestinian from their land.

As I've said, it's about LAND and resources.

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️
Why should we aid and abet the ethnic cleansing of Palestinian territory and why should Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria do so? The fact that anyone says "they should leave" is in fact supporting ethnic cleansing and the exile of Palestinian from their land.

As I've said, it's about LAND and resources.
It's always about the paychecks. (And making sure you own the Ballot Box within your "Democracy")

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
It is not your land when you keep starting wars for it and you keep losing.

This is a problem with so many of you Hamas supporters: You do not understand that there are consequences for losing.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
How hard is it to win when you are supported and armed by the most powerful nation that has ever existed on Earth?

You'd be miserably incompetent if you weren't.

Last edited:

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️

This is a problem with so many of you Hamas supporters: You do not understand that there are consequences for losing.
Gotcha so since the American abos never killed enough European “Settlers” taking over their ancestral motherland's, it’s their own fault?

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️

If you were kidnapped and locked in your mothers basement or something wouldn’t you be willing to do almost anything to break free?

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
If you were kidnapped and locked in your mothers basement or something wouldn’t you be willing to do almost anything to break free?

And then what?

I sure as fuck would not go back into the basement.

You are so fuckin' braindead that your own analogy supports my stance: Palestinians should get the fuck out and stay the fuck out.