Mass casualty event in Amazon warehouse

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Roof collapse during storm.

Law enforcement authorities called the Amazon warehouse incident a “
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
,” according to reporter Jenna Rae at KMOV-TV in St. Louis.

, working the night shift during the holiday rush, at the time of the collapse.

Rae reported late Friday that about
on Madison County Transit buses. A medical evacuation helicopter arrived on the scene shortly afterward, and
as the search and rescue operation continued.

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter

on Madison County Transit buses. A medical evacuation helicopter arrived on the scene shortly afterward, and

I'm reading that south and east from there, mostly west KY and moving east, there was a record setting storm that was continuously spawning funnels on the ground for 250 miles over six hours, they say it's a record for length. Murray and Benton were hit hard. Reports are slow coming in, at this distance.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I wonder how much it was due to poor safety standards and shoddy building construction.

Seems that Amazon leaves a lot to be desired as far as safety and we'll being of its employees go. This isn't the first time mishaps have been reported about them.

I wouldnt wanna work for them.

Especially their warehouse or sorting facilities. There must be more than 1 of these death traps or covid incubator tragedies waiting to happen.

The building inspectors should launch a national probe into the safety of their facilities.

The collapsed building was only 2 Years old.

Last edited:

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

...sez 1/2 the Amazon bldg was destroyed.

... rnado.html

By Daniel Victor, Sophie Kasakove, Eric Berger and Robert Chiarito

Dec. 11, 2021Updated 5:20 p.m. ET

The police in Edwardsville, Ill., said there were at least two “confirmed fatalities” at an Amazon warehouse after a direct hit from a tornado caused a major portion of the building to collapse on Friday night, leaving “catastrophic damage to a significant portion” of the building.

Three people were rescued from the building, and one of them was taken to a hospital, said Mark Mayfield, a captain with the Edwardsville Fire Department. He did not know the person’s status on Saturday morning but said he believed the person to be in “stable condition.”

Thirty workers made it out of the building safely by themselves, the police said. A bus carried several workers to reunite with families in nearby Pontoon Beach, said Michael Fillback, the Edwardsville police chief.

Captain Mayfield said he did not know how many workers were inside the building when the tornado struck around 8:30 p.m., but Chief Fillbacktold the St. Louis station KSDK-TV on Saturday that the number was not “in the hundreds.” Chief Fillback estimated at a news conference on Saturday morning that about 50 people had been in the building.

Emergency responders received the initial call at 8:38 p.m. and arrived several minutes later, Captain Mayfield said, with about 100 responders on the scene shortly after the building collapsed. More than a dozen area police, fire and emergency medical service departments responded.

On Saturday morning, police blocked off the entrance to the campus, which is about 20 minutes northeast of St. Louis.

The building, which is two years old, is in a distribution hub on the west side of town with about 20 warehouses ranging from about 100,000 to 1.4 million square feet, he said. There is another Amazon warehouse across the highway. The tornado caused the collapse of a wall the size of a football field at the warehouse, along with the roof above it, according to The Associated Press.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
mayfield looks like hiroshima

Wow. Its completely wiped out :/

and thats just one of 22.

how does a town even come back from that? then all those poor ppl have 2 camp out overnight with a shotgun so the looters dont pick through everything cuz they will be on those piles like flies on shit as soon as the sun sets

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

how does a town even come back from that? then all those poor ppl have 2 camp out overnight with a shotgun so the looters dont pick through everything cuz they will be on those piles like flies on shit as soon as the sun sets

Glad I placed my orders through Amazon 6 months ago.

Seems everything in this world - even the delivery service - is seasonal.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Glad I placed my orders through Amazon 6 months ago.

Seems everything in this world - even the delivery service - is seasonal.

the worst i get is a 3 day delay but when bad weather hits the carriers milk it whether effected or not

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Unusually high temperatures and humidity created the environment for such an extreme weather event at this time of year, said Victor Gensini, a professor in geographic and atmospheric sciences at Northern Illinois University.

"This is an historic, if not generational event," Gensini said.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Unusually high temperatures and humidity created the environment for such an extreme weather event at this time of year, said Victor Gensini, a professor in geographic and atmospheric sciences at Northern Illinois University.

it might have even broken the fujita scale for an f5

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

it might have even broken the fujita scale for an f5

I hope they've done everything to activate all emergency responses. These folks can't be left out to the elements, they need shelter, food and water now.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
That's horrific. The trauma these people and their pets will be experiencing for months on end is unfathomable.
im amazed only 70 casualties, and at night when no one sees the funnel coming

then u have 2 rummage barefoot through the pile just 2 dig up boots so u dont step on a nail - count your blessings

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
That's horrific. The trauma these people and their pets will be experiencing for months on end is unfathomable.

then u have 2 rummage barefoot through the pile just 2 dig up boots so u dont step on a nail - count your blessings

That is a relatively low number. I wonder if some are "missing".

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

That is a relatively low number. I wonder if some are "missing".
for sure, that number will go up some but most r accounted for ..but maybe not since cell & landlines r down so theres chaos

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Search and rescue teams were continuing to look for residents door to door, but the destruction made it difficult to reach everyone, Mr. Beshear said. “We call it door to door, but in many of those homes, there’s no door any more,” he said.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

They are not coming back from that. They are gonna have to rebuild.

My church is already talking about going down there to help.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Oh and Bezos.....so I hear.....hasnt said a fucking word about his employees who died. Not a thing. Nothing to the families.

What a fucking dick.

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
Oh and Bezos.....so I hear.....hasnt said a fucking word about his employees who died. Not a thing. Nothing to the families.

What a fucking dick.
This morning's news reported he made a statement about how "heartbroken" he and the Amazon team are over the tragic loss of their teammates. I almost barfed.

Maybe if he built his warehouses a little tighter instead of skimming money off of them to finance his joyrides in space, somebody might believe him.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

What a fucking dick.
This morning's news reported he made a statement about how "heartbroken" he and the Amazon team are over the tragic loss of their teammates. I almost barfed.

Maybe if he built his warehouses a little tighter instead of skimming money off of them to finance his joyrides in space, somebody might believe him.

That's what I think too.

They cut corners for their buildings.

WhY would a building collapse after just 2 years after construction? Must have been very flimsy.

I bet more than 1 of their buildings out there is a death trap which doesn't meet proper engineering standards.