Model for Statue of Liberty

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
275138753_10227742696942079_4442662940585206899_n.jpg

Isabelle Boyer-Singer

Beautiful lady, married to Singer of the American Singer sewing machine.

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
Model for the Morgan US Dollar coin was Anna Willess Williams (1857-1926)

220px-Anna_Willess_Williams_1892.jpg

George Morgan found Williams through a painter friend for whom she had modeled, though her life plan was to be a schoolteacher. The painter was friends with her father. Morgan wanted to use "an American girl" rather than an imaginary concept for the goddess of Liberty, and felt she had a perfect profile.

150px-1899_obverse.jpg

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
20140321104822QEsxoTC0eFaKKFjtZgjPG5CNWnT3BQTD1WkN6fju.jpg

For his legendary $20 "double Eagle" coin, St. Gaudens used Hettie E. Anderson, a black American woman with a fair complexion. Anderson, who was born in South Carolina in 1873 and who also went by Hattie, in 1895 was living in Manhattan supporting herself as a clerk and model for a number of prominent sculptors, including Saint-Gaudens.

This bust of Anderson was also done by St. Gaudens.

Hettie-Anderson-Smithsonian_%28cropped%29.png

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
20140321104822QEsxoTC0eFaKKFjtZgjPG5CNWnT3BQTD1WkN6fju.jpg

For his legendary $20 "double Eagle" coin, St. Gaudens used Hettie E. Anderson, a black American woman with a fair complexion. Anderson, who was born in South Carolina in 1873 and who also went by Hattie, in 1895 was living in Manhattan supporting herself as a clerk and model for a number of prominent sculptors, including Saint-Gaudens.

This bust of Anderson was also done by St. Gaudens.

Hettie-Anderson-Smithsonian_%28cropped%29.png

Thanks for adding to the thread, this is all good stuff.

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter

The OP is truly remarkable. At first freaking glance, I said to myself "holy cow, it's Lady Liberty in the flesh." That Bartholdi dude was a kick ass sculptor and he NAILED her face in copper.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

The OP is truly remarkable. At first freaking glance, I said to myself "holy cow, it's Lady Liberty in the flesh." That Bartholdi dude was a kick ass sculptor and he NAILED her face in copper.

That was my thought as well when I first saw her face. It was the statue come to life.