Mr. Holliday, a word if you please?

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
I've always enjoyed your output even if it tends to outsnark my own more often than not.

In another thread about matters anthropological and biological, you charge science with relying too heavily on material data. What I'm wondering is, given that science (and I'm talking about "hard" science here) concerns itself with the different aspects of the physical world (as that world is perceived by creatures such as we), what basis other than material data could serve as the springboard for scientific inquiries into Rerum Natura?

I'm genuinely curious, here. Anthropologist Stephen Jay Gould, when discussing the respective purviews of science and religion, claimed that no conflict between those two realms could arise as they each consisted of a "non-overlapping magisterium" in the face of the other.

Are you saying, like Einstein, that "science without religion is lame"?

I find this subject endlessly fascinating. In case you can't tell.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
I've always enjoyed your output even if it tends to outsnark my own more often than not.

In another thread about matters anthropological and biological, you charge science with relying too heavily on material data. What I'm wondering is, given that science (and I'm talking about "hard" science here) concerns itself with the different aspects of the physical world (as that world is perceived by creatures such as we), what basis other than material data could serve as the springboard for scientific inquiries into Rerum Natura?

I'm genuinely curious, here. Anthropologist Stephen Jay Gould, when discussing the respective purviews of science and religion, claimed that no conflict between those two realms could arise as they each consisted of a "non-overlapping magisterium" in the face of the other.

Are you saying, like Einstein, that "science without religion is lame"?

I find this subject endlessly fascinating. In case you can't tell.
Oh dear...hormonal perchance? I read that entire bother in a Joanna Lumley accent with Adam’s apple undertones for shits and giggles. Welcome to Bastard Factory you fragile soul.

images

@Holliday1881 ...if you will, answer the lady you man meat you!

images

OP
OP
Blurt

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Sorry, Breaky, but this question was aimed at Holliday. You know, the guy who knows something about science?

Holliday1881

Banned
Banned
Ah - so pleased to find you here, and to answer a question you posed elsewhere,
Yes - I do have an entomological question, Mr Wiztard.

See, here where I live it is required that all air-conditioning units be removed by end of October, otherwise a fine is imposed. While removing mine this year, I disturbed the home of a Hobo Spider, which upon seeing it exposed I lovingly tried to catch soz to return to the out-of-doors. My gentleness did not pay off and the little bugger escaped somewhere along the baseboard. Some 3 to 4 weeks had now passed, then yesterday I find the spider on the side of my bed/mattress near unto the head - a considerable distance from where it had originally been. I should note that it had no distinguishing features so that I cannot be 100% in saying that it was the same, but I have never seen another in my place so....

This time I was less dainty, and the hunt ended with me throwing the crippled crustacean out the door.
My question, if you be sober enough to type a reply, is do you think that Hobo was fixing to stage a revenge attack for my previous offense? I hear they can leave a nasty bite and can be aggressive when fucked with.

Holliday1881

Banned
Banned
I find this subject endlessly fascinating.
Me too, though sadly I must inform that I never discuss what may fall under the general heading of religion on message boards. Even the degree to which I discussed things last night goes well beyond where I usually turn back. But
I don't see any necessary conflict between mundane science and high science other than that mundane science has the limitation of believing that if it can not be measured (by its crude instruments), smelled, tasted, and touched that it therefore doesn't exist. To those materialists I say, well, apparently your mind and thoughts do not exist, or if they do then what do they weigh? (not to suggest that they are absolutely non-material) Religions, of course, are exoteric for the most part as understood, so naturally you have people who believe as do some 40% of Americans, that the Earth/this world was created in a literal 6 days after which, god - exhausted by the effort - cracked open a beer and rested in his cosmic armchair, or
. those who think it's all about Ancient Aliens..bla bla.
Then there are, as there have always been, those with more penetrating technology.

Seek and you may find - but no one will, or should hand it to you/another.

Last edited:

X

xXx
Site Supporter

See, here where I live it is required that all air-conditioning units be removed by end of October, otherwise a fine is imposed. While removing mine this year, I disturbed the home of a Hobo Spider, which upon seeing it exposed I lovingly tried to catch soz to return to the out-of-doors. My gentleness did not pay off and the little bugger escaped somewhere along the baseboard. Some 3 to 4 weeks had now passed, then yesterday I find the spider on the side of my bed/mattress near unto the head - a considerable distance from where it had originally been. I should note that it had no distinguishing features so that I cannot be 100% in saying that it was the same, but I have never seen another in my place so....

This time I was less dainty, and the hunt ended with me throwing the crippled crustacean out the door.
My question, if you be sober enough to type a reply, is do you think that Hobo was fixing to stage a revenge attack for my previous offense? I hear they can leave a nasty bite and can be aggressive when fucked with.

the Arachnid jizzed on you, nightly

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

Arachnids are able to use both scent and vision to map areas of travel/exploration. They most definitely don’t have a mindset for revenge. I leave all the spiders around the house alone. From time to time I’ll clean out dirty webs, taking care not to harm any spiders.

I hope that appeases your niggles. Now lift a cheek and release some flatulent.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

Reggie_Essent

An Claidheam Anam
Blurt, the coffee-getter for the officers his entire Navy career, thinks Holliday knows something about Science?

No wonder Democrats are the Party of the Dumb.