Saudade

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
@rancidmilko

I learned of this concept watching an HBO series called the Atlas of Love by Brene Brown. She gives a series of 5 one hour lectures with an audience. An audience member that is Brazilian brought up this feeling word.

It's a wonderful word if I understand it correctly. A sense of nostalgia for a time and place that cannot be recreated. There is no such word for it in English.

Interestingly, Germans also have very specific words for everything including feeling words. I picked up on freudenfreude in the same lecture. Joy in someone else's joy. That is one of the best feelings too.

Last edited:

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
I always mention this example, how a word in portuguese doesn't have an equivalent in English.

Saudade is the name of the feeling of missing a place, a person, a time. When you say "Estou morrendo de saudades" it means you "Miss someone a lot" but it literally translates to "I'm missing you so much I'm dying" but it's impossible to translate it exactly without making some adaptation for an English speaker to understand.

However, a few days ago I actually remembered a word in English that is a lot closer to saudade. "Longing"

And found another one I have never heard before "wistful", which seems to translate to "saudoso", which means "feeling saudade" of something

So for example "Eu não aguento mais essa saudade" could be translated to "I can't stand this longing anymore."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I always mention this example, how a word in portuguese doesn't have an equivalent in English.

Saudade is the name of feeling of missing a place, a person, a time. When you say "Estou morrendo de saudades" it means you "Miss someone a lot" but it literally translates to "I'm missing you so much I'm dying" but it's impossible to translate it exactly without making some adaptation for an English speaker to understand.

However, a few days ago I actually remembered a word in English that is a lot closer to saudade. "Longing"

And found another one I have never heard before "wistful", which seems to translate to "saudoso", which means "feeling saudade" of something

So for example "Eu não aguento mais essa saudade" could be translated to "I can't stand this longing anymore."

I didn't quite get how to pronounce it, the woman said it so fast...but the meaning behind it is beautiful.

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️

Saudade is the name of feeling of missing a place, a person, a time. When you say "Estou morrendo de saudades" it means you "Miss someone a lot" but it literally translates to "I'm missing you so much I'm dying" but it's impossible to translate it exactly without making some adaptation for an English speaker to understand.

I didn't quite get how to pronounce it, the woman said it so fast...but the meaning behind it is beautiful.

Words like that are like the more complex phrasal verbs in English, usually it's easier to learn them with examples rather than grammar explanations.