Some reflections on the donut, from the donut capital of the US

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
Yes, I work and live in the undisputed donut capital of the US (the Los Angeles Basin.)

Paradoxically, I rarely eat them myself because they are INSANELY UNHEALTHY, but there is no disputing their allure and their outright yumminess. I DO buy them, usually by the box, to drop off at jobsites I manage along with drinks and other snacks, and I usually try to buy based on what I know of the crews I'm buying for, and their tastes.

But I NEVER buy donuts from a chain or franchise place, given that there are literally hundreds of donut shops that are locally owned and way better.

Ever since the whole matter of donuts came up here a year or two ago, following @Seamajor's successful coinage of The Donut as a unit of physical measurement, I've been (empirically) studying the validity of The Donut in this role. Although I admit it's a funny meme, in reality there is NO STANDARD SIZE. Even the chains, notably Dunkin and KrispyKreme, have been steadily downsizing their donuts on a nearly annual basis for several years ... like the good little capitalists they are. And this lack of uniformity goes beyond mere intent, since there are a lot of variables in the production of a donut that will affect its finished size (and especially its finished height.)

For that matter, there have been steady historic trends over the last century that just have to do with consumer expectations and taste.

donutspiracy.0.jpg

Whereas the standard chain donut is now about 3 and a quarter inches in diameter, the better shops make them more like 4 inches, and some as large as 5 inches. And the hole sizes are quite variable even though if you buy "donut holes" they tend to be the same size from one vendor to the next.

I think my ideal size for a regular glazed donut is between 4 to 4 and a half inches, with a hole that's an inch or inch and a quarter, which (if the donut is finished correctly) will yield a donut that's between 1 and seven-eighths to 2 and an eighth inches high. And my favorite place at the moment for scoring those puppies is Fosters, in Montrose.

Please share your thoughts, friends.

Last edited:

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I like donuts.

Since I never get fat or pay the price I kin eat a bag of em.

Just like my idol, Jughead Joe (nes).

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I never eat em.

How about empanadas, Seamajor?

do ya like them?

we had a shop in our city but I think it got closed own after the authorities busted them for using illegal alien workers.

It was nice while it lasted tho.

tasted great just like in Latin America...but without the Montezuma's Revenge.

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️
Yes, I work and live in the undisputed donut capital of the US (the Los Angeles Basin.)

Paradoxically, I rarely eat them myself because they are INSANELY UNHEALTHY, but there is no disputing their allure and their outright yumminess. I DO buy them, usually by the box, to drop off at jobsites I manage along with drinks and other snacks, and I usually try to buy based on what I know of the crews I'm buying for, and their tastes.

But I NEVER buy donuts from a chain or franchise place, given that there are literally hundreds of donut shops that are locally owned and way better.

Ever since the whole matter of donuts came up here a year or two ago, following @Seamajor's successful coinage of The Donut as a unit of physical measurement, I've been (empirically) studying the validity of The Donut in this role. Although I admit it's a funny meme, in reality there is NO STANDARD SIZE. Even the chains, notably Dunkin and KrispyKreme, have been steadily downsizing their donuts on a nearly annual basis for several years ... like the good little capitalists they are. And this lack of uniformity goes beyond mere intent, since there are a lot of variables in the production of a donut that will affect its finished size (and especially its finished height.)

For that matter, there have been steady historic trends over the last century that just have to do with consumer expectations and taste.

donutspiracy.0.jpg

Whereas the standard chain donut is now about 3 and a quarter inches in diameter, the better shops make them more like 4 inches, and some as large as 5 inches. And the hole sizes are quite variable even though if you buy "donut holes" they tend to be the same size from one vendor to the next.

I think my ideal size for a regular glazed donut is between 4 to 4 and a half inches, with a hole that's an inch or inch and a quarter, which (if the donut is finished correctly) will yield a donut that's between 1 and seven-eighths to 2 and an eighth inches high. And my favorite place at the moment for scoring those puppies is Fosters, in Montrose.

This thread is teetering on the edge...
You know what you're doing...

OP
OP
Levon

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter

donutspiracy.0.jpg

So far, it's a Foodie thread, as is my intention.

I fully expect you to protect it if any mutts try to take it in the wrong direction. So far, that hasn't happened.

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️

donutspiracy.0.jpg

I fully expect you to protect it if any mutts try to take it in the wrong direction. So far, that hasn't happened.
Oh I will but you cannot deny there's intentional bait...

OP
OP
Levon

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter

donutspiracy.0.jpg

:facepalm: I did deny it.

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️

donutspiracy.0.jpg

Shows you how stupid you can be then, doesn't it...

OP
OP
Levon

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter

donutspiracy.0.jpg

At this point, @SHAMPAIN ... I think you've done a fine job of shitting up this thread. Maybe you should just go ahead and move it to the sweatshop now, so you can sleep without having nightmares about a thread on the GenFor turning to shit overnight. And at the very least, I would like you to split off this exchange between you and me, starting with your "teetering on the brink" warning to me, and move THAT much of it so we can discuss the problem of "stupid" with a free hand and I can call you out for moderator bias.

Reactions: X

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
One thing that made me not enjoy donuts much is that extremely sweet flavor they have

I could have one or two once in a while, but I'd have to be very hungry.

I guess you have to grow up eating them to get used to it.

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️

donutspiracy.0.jpg

At this point, @SHAMPAIN ... I think you've done a fine job of shitting up this thread. Maybe you should just go ahead and move it to the sweatshop now, so you can sleep without having nightmares about a thread on the GenFor turning to shit overnight. And at the very least, I would like you to split off this exchange between you and me, starting with your "teetering on the brink" warning to me, and move THAT much of it so we can discuss the problem of "stupid" with a free hand and I can call you out for moderator bias.
I'm only having a conversation with you, no flames or trolls here... You made a thread with bait about doughnuts being used to measure height now you're trying to blame me for pointing out the obvious and now your thread is ruined, don't be such a cry baby your thread is fine, life is good so stop complaining will ya and post more doughnuts...

Admin.

I aim to be smugly pedantic, or vice verse.
Site Supporter ☠️

donutspiracy.0.jpg

I'm only having a conversation with you, no flames or trolls here... You made a thread with bait about doughnuts being used to measure height now you're trying to blame me for pointing out the obvious and now your thread is ruined, don't be such a cry baby your thread is fine, life is good so stop complaining will ya and post more doughnuts...
Is the 'bait' in the room now?

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️

donutspiracy.0.jpg

Is the 'bait' in the room now?
:facepalm:

X

xXx
Site Supporter
apparently there is a poast inspector on the scene ^^ ffs beat it idiot

OP
OP
Levon

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter

donutspiracy.0.jpg

I decided to let this rest for a full day and consider it more fully, as well as giving you some time to do so also. I'm not feeling any heat ATM and if you think this is a "conversation" that we should have in public on the main forum, okay.

First things... I like the admin, I think he's serious about the forum and has his vision for it. I may be a troll, but I don't think there's much future in trolling the management and I don't do that. And I have no problem with you or grimmy, my assumption is always that you are doing what BF wants done and using a style that he wants used. Besides having no problem with you guise, I appreciate that having a panel is a pain in the ass, people bitch all the time but never pay you anything, and shit always happens when you're busy with RL. And sure, there are things about forum practice and forum rules that I think are unwise, but it ain't my forum so I try to live with all of it.

Having said that, I have to disagree that we were "having a conversation." Maybe YOU were having one, you said you were, and you WERE talking "at" me but it wasn't a conversation because I wasn't seeking one and you didn't seem to be hearing me. So I think "conversation" is a bit generous as a descriptor.

You started off with "This thread is on the brink" which let me know it wasn't intended as a social conversation, but rather you were speaking as a GM and talking to somebody who was doing a no-no. And you found my response unsatisfactory for reasons I'm not clear about. I think I have enough posts on record, and enough thread starts, to show that I usually start a thread where I expect it will belong and I have enough sense to ask for help if it turns out differently. So, I thought your concern was pre-emptive. Even so, I invited you to go ahead and move the thread to the sweatshop if it was a problem, even though I didn't plan on making a problem. You spoke of "bait" like it was something bad, although a LOT of threads in the uppers tend to have at least SOME bait, hell it's a den of trolls and flamers.

Oh, and you called me stupid because I didn't agree with your opinion about "intentional bait" whatever the bloody hell that means to you. I'm sorry but while you can call me stupid in an ARGUMENT it won't fly well in a "conversation."

And I can't help thinking that our "conversation" has taken up enough space to pretty much take the wind out of the topic's sails, so again I ask to have it moved down to Meltdown. I may start another thread down there based on an interesting science piece I found about a different sweet snack. I can't safely work that piece into this thread under the best of conditions. I'm probably done with THIS thread regardless. Evidently it's a lot safer to start threads about faggotry, PLEASE ASS BOX ME!, rapine, obesity, disfigurement, race, and mass shootings than it is to talk about fuckin donuts.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The Timmies Black Forest ...
AVvXsEjM7zV0CDRlsrkNBUbEA3QLSfnubb2CYbCNKKQw6vAHVYYCuB-MqxDsMFzIAjQwLYvqaA0dxEucjsWHsWTagEQknNBv2z_K8nuNPRHOD9c7GEwcquPJ5MKZL7kobPhHp0iJmRiaL0wld9oW8v04SWWZWdtmrN8A25cWwdmABzBqaEXKxPjwNXCHrcRQ=w640-h640
yum

Sometimes ole Timmy's is good.

don't go there too often tho.

Just once in a while snack.

The Founder:

...how he died:

horton-960x540.jpg

Heisenberg

Factory Bastard
There's a place called Huck's on the south side of Chicago that serves a 12" donut topped with ice cream, chocolate sauce and whipped cream. I ate 1 on a dare from some friends. Such a sugar buzz I didn't sleep for 3 days.

Krispy Kremes was a major disappointment. They were great if you were in the store and got them right off the fryer. If they got cold they were no different than any other donut. The one they built at 57th and Harlem went broke and is now a bank.

Adam Hitler

110/14/88
Site Supporter
I don’t get it.

Peaches tried to use this thread as bait and trick people into making the comparison between donuts and his leaky face pussy, no doubt so he could cry victim and claim that trolls ruin all his threads. It backfired however, so he's resorted to his trademark sanctimonious tldr preaching routine.