The reason why the box office is failing

Master

Won't post at a forum CDunce has a panel at
Site Supporter
Why has every big time movie bombed?

Diversity?
Inclusion?

Trans characters?

Nope. Ppl don't want to shell out 100 plus dollars to take their family to see a movie when in a month they can stream it or pay 20 bucks for the DVD.

Home theaters are become better then sitting with a bunch of strangers in the dark. The same box of candy you can get a walmart for a buck costs 12 bucks at the theater.

There are no discount movieplexs any more where you can see a blockbuster for five bucks. Even the second run places your paying minimum 15 bucks.

It's a shame.

wizer

Factory Bastard
This isn't anything people don't already know. Same thing for sporting events.

Why drive 2 1/2 hours through heavy traffic to sit at a Jets game (during one of their rare good seasons), and do the same thing on the way home, and spend upwards of $300 plus parking fees when you can enjoy the game from the comfort of your own living room complete with HDTV, comfortable couch or recliner, with whatever food you care to eat vs the overprice crap they serve up at the stadium.

OP
OP
Master

Master

Site Supporter
Sporting events are events.

Movies aren't.

Going to Wrigley Field is an experience. You do have the lore of the actual ballpark and all the trappings that go along with it where as a movie theater is just....a theater.

wizer

Factory Bastard
Ok that's fair.

But there are some commonalities.

Another reason people choose home vs cinema is that new movies are available so quickly to stream nowadays and there's such a vast selection of old and new.

Also not much good new stuff coming out. Sometimes there's a blockbuster which causes a momentary upswing in people going to the movie theaters but it's shortlived.

OP
OP
Master

Master

Site Supporter
Ok that's fair.

But there are some commonalities.

Another reason people choose home vs cinema is that new movies are available so quickly to stream nowadays and there's such a vast selection of old and new.

Also not much good new stuff coming out. Sometimes there's a blockbuster which causes a momentary upswing in people going to the movie theaters but it's shortlived.
I don't even think outside of the new Top Gun there's been a blockbuster that actually came thru. And even then you can make the claim it was on account of the pandemic lift and ppl wanted to go out again.

I don't think if Top Gun came out now it would make the money it made.

Streaming services killed theaters. That much is true

wizer

Factory Bastard
Add closed movie theaters to the long list of closed retail spaces due to less need for offices because people work from home, and closing of other retailers due to online competition.

Don't know about where you live @King Martini but in my neighborhood there are tons of closed and shuttered stores; there seems to be more "For Lease" than "Open" signs in the windows, and it's getting worse by the day.

wizer

Factory Bastard
And eat overly buttered greasy overpriced popcorn when you can just grab your favorite type at the market and throw it in the microwave for 2 minutes. With practice and repetition, you can get the popcorn all popped with less than a half a dozen kernals remaining in the bag. Don't ask me how I know this.

Be right back in about 2 minutes

OP
OP
Master

Master

Site Supporter
Add closed movie theaters to the long list of closed retail spaces due to less need for offices because people work from home, and closing of other retailers due to online competition.

Don't know about where you live @King Martini but in my neighborhood there are tons of closed and shuttered stores; there seems to be more "For Lease" than "Open" signs in the windows, and it's getting worse by the day.
Well, there's no such thing as shopping malls anywhere around here outside of Woodfield in the burbs.

Woodfield is still busy, but they cater to a young crowd now considering most of the stores are either shoes or anime themed. Jewelry stores dominating shopping malls are a thing of the past.

Theaters are here, but are always empty.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
The only reason I go to see films in an actual movie theatre is because I’ve got the points on my Scene+ card (so the flicks and treats are “free”).

It could be argued that films like Top Gun (which I’ve yet to see) and Avatar: The Way of Water look and sound better on the big screen.

OP
OP
Master

Master

Site Supporter
The only reason I go to see films in an actual movie theatre is because I’ve got the points on my Scene+ card (so the flicks and treats are “free”).

It could be argued that films like Top Gun (which I’ve yet to see) and Avatar: The Way of Water look and sound better on the big screen.
Idk about that any more.

A grand gets you a big TV and a excellent sound system. On top of not having to waddle thru strangers to take a piss.

Plus, when I'm watching with wifey if I feel the need to get jerked off I don't have to look around and see if ppl are watching.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
That’s the thing, though, Martino. Precisely because people are generally staying away from movie theatres, you no longer have to “waddle thru strangers to take a piss.” At most, there’s only a couple of handfuls of other patrons in there with you. You can take a piss in your empty popcorn bucket or get wifey to jerk you off with no one being the wiser while still enjoying having your ass parked in a top of the line recliner.

Besides, a central part of the experience of “going” to the movies is, well, going there, to go see a show. With others. It’s a shared experience.

Mind you, most of my movie watching happens at home through streaming stuff on a great TV and sound setup. But I still keep an eye on my Scene+ points for when I want to watch a film without having to deal with the sound of a barking dog or an ambulance siren that aren’t diegetic.

Aylana

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Watch Japanese and Korean tv series and movies...they are way better than the garbage American cinema produces.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Besides, a central part of the experience of “going” to the movies is, well, going there, to go see a show. With others. It’s a shared experience.

I think this is especially true with comedies and horror films, genres that a group experience enhances. Roaring laughter, gaps of fright or surprise...

And watching movies like Top Gun, Star Wars, etc - the cinematography doesn't get any better than at the movie theater.

I won't go to a theater to watch a drama however. My tv screen is 55 inches, which might be considered medium at this time, but it's enough for most movies.

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
Greed and selfishness is what causes many of today's problems whether it's an expensive movie theater, gas prices, grocery food prices, take-out prices, alcohol, medication and online movie streaming. Why pay for Netflix when you can simply visit PirateBay? The world is the way it is because of our collective greed and selfishness.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
Online moving streaming and corporate greed and driving the current writer/SAG strikes.

If you think the movie selections are bad now @King Martini, give it a few months…

Margot Robbie will be the last to promote a new movie, which she slayed @ the premiers for her new Barbie movie. They actually waited to strike so she could.

OP
OP
Master

Master

Site Supporter
That’s the thing, though, Martino. Precisely because people are generally staying away from movie theatres, you no longer have to “waddle thru strangers to take a piss.” At most, there’s only a couple of handfuls of other patrons in there with you. You can take a piss in your empty popcorn bucket or get wifey to jerk you off with no one being the wiser while still enjoying having your ass parked in a top of the line recliner.

Mind you, most of my movie watching happens at home through streaming stuff on a great TV and sound setup. But I still keep an eye on my Scene+ points for when I want to watch a film without having to deal with the sound of a barking dog or an ambulance siren that aren’t diegetic.
I saw The Flash in a theater and it was more then halfway full.

Granted, it was maybe the second day of its release but it was still a decent crowd.

I grew up in movie theaters. I loved watching movies. I loved going to the video store and finding some horrible B movie nobody else rented. Those days are gone and it's sad.

My kids don't even know who Darth Vader is and when I ask them if they want to watch Star Wars they always say "nah". It's a shame.

We don't have the three dollar second run theaters any more here. The experience of going out to a show just isn't part of the entertainment lexicon any more.

SirSuperSouthern

It's Always 5:55, bitch.
Site Supporter
Who here volunteers to sit in the seat that some nigger just got out of. Hands in the air...

SSS
- Be sure to bring some Raid along with you.

Heisenberg

Factory Bastard
I honestly can't remember the last movie I saw in a theater. There simply hasn't been shit made that I want to see.

Kinda interested in Oppenheimer, but at 3 hours run time I'll wait until I can watch it at home.

Admin.

I aim to be smugly pedantic, or vice verse.
Site Supporter ☠️
I think I quit going out to the theater, which I used to do quite often, either alone or with another, was when they started requiring shoes, pants and shirts.