Thich Nhat Hanh has died -- 95 years old

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
You carry Mother Earth within you. She is not outside of you. Mother Earth is not just your environment. In that insight of inter-being, it is possible to have real communication with the Earth, which is the highest form of prayer.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

This is saying that Mother Earth can only be in one person.

If Mother Earth were inside two or more people, then Mother Earth would indeed also be outside each of them.

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned
You carry Mother Earth within you. She is not outside of you. Mother Earth is not just your environment. In that insight of inter-being, it is possible to have real communication with the Earth, which is the highest form of prayer.

This is saying that Mother Earth can only be in one person.

If Mother Earth were inside two or more people, then Mother Earth would indeed also be outside each of them.
Oh btw, Growler. We already are well aware that you're an idjit.
. No need to re-prove it daily, unless you just want to show-off. :LOL3:

Last edited:

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
“When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That's the message he is sending.”
― Thich Nhat Hanh

This depends on how the person is making you suffer.

For instance, when JooDog tells you about his Audi and you get all bent out of shape because you a jealous asswipe, the internal suffering is with you.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
I think he would stifle his sigh and say something meaningful instead.

Maybe such as:

Without suffering, there’s no happiness. So we shouldn’t discriminate against the mud. We have to learn how to embrace and cradle our own suffering and the suffering of the world, with a lot of tenderness.

--Thich Nhat Hanh

In another quote he said that happiness comes from peace, and specifically not excitement <eye roll>.

So it is either

Suffering->Peace->Happiness

or

Peace->Suffering->Happiness

Clearly you can suffer without first being peaceful.

So it has to be Suffering->Peace->Happiness

So he is contending that peace can only come after suffering.

I would contend that a person who has never experienced peace is suffering. And, therefore, they now satisfy this nonsensical "requirement" of suffering that he has rationalized is a prerequisite for peace.

Whatever. The bottom line is that there can be happiness without suffering. He was probably put on the spot to say something clever and he just spat out "Without suffering, there’s no happiness." before giving it much thought.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned
I think he would stifle his sigh and say something meaningful instead.

Maybe such as:

Without suffering, there’s no happiness. So we shouldn’t discriminate against the mud. We have to learn how to embrace and cradle our own suffering and the suffering of the world, with a lot of tenderness.

--Thich Nhat Hanh

In another quote he said that happiness comes from peace, and specifically not excitement <eye roll>.

So it is either

Suffering->Peace->Happiness

or

Peace->Suffering->Happiness

Clearly you can suffer without first being peaceful.

So it has to be Suffering->Peace->Happiness

So he is contending that peace can only come after suffering.

I would contend that a person who has never experienced peace is suffering. And, therefore, they now satisfy this nonsensical "requirement" of suffering that he has rationalized is a prerequisite for peace.

Whatever. The bottom line is that there can be happiness without suffering. He was probably put on the spot to say something clever and he just spat out "Without suffering, there’s no happiness." before giving it much thought.
So you ARE showing off. :LOL3:

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
its philosophy, basically u cant recognize one thing without having experienced its opposite

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
its philosophy, basically u cant recognize one thing without having experienced its opposite

One of the first things you learn in philosophy is logic.

But, this dude is just saying some shit to try to help people who are going through rough times feel some optimism.

And he wants people to be nicer to each other.

I am sure it is inspirational to people who cannot think for themselves.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

But, this dude is just saying some shit to try to help people who are going through rough times feel some optimism.

i mean its a nice sentiment but nothing original

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Oh, wow. Okay. Because his whole purpose on this planet was to be original rather than a kind of healer.

You're kind of thick, aren't you?

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

You might try listening to him for a minute and a half and see if you might be a better person for it.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Oh, wow. Okay. Because his whole purpose on this planet was to be original rather than a kind of healer.

yet ur the one getting stupid 20x a day lol

btw, have u ever mentioned me 2 'bob'.....in all those intimate conversations?

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

LMAO. Why would I, for fuck's sake?

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

well it would be pathetic, hence my suspicion u may have done so

u know them 2 ½ yrs? keep your nose out of their business, 'switzerland'.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard

You might try listening to him for a minute and a half and see if you might be a better person for it.

I gave him a minute and 35 seconds.

No change.

The difference between you and me is that I am already a good person.

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
“Many people think excitement is happiness.... But when you are excited you are not peaceful. True happiness is based on peace.”

Sounds like someone who has not driven 250km headed into a sweeping curve.

Let's see, the average lap speed at the Indy 500 a year or two back was 157.528 mph which is only a hair faster than yer 250 kph. The only track I recall offhand where anyone can safely do what you describe is the Nurburgring Nordschliefe, and I seriously doubt that any of our BF denizens (including you) have even BEEN THERE, not even AS SPECTATORS.

Next bullshit troll, please.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️

Or maybe that the one has no meaning without the other.

I know too many people who go through their lives on auto-pilot believing themselves to be "happy"... until they hit black ice and wind up in the ditch or even further afield. And that's when tow truck therapy comes in.

Drive mindfully, with an understanding that the ditch accompanies you wherever you go.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

well it would be pathetic, hence my suspicion u may have done so

u know them 2 ½ yrs? keep your nose out of their business, 'switzerland'.

Are you in love with me or something? Were you hoping that I had confessed my love for you to my friends? I am a little worried about you, I must say.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
“Many people think excitement is happiness.... But when you are excited you are not peaceful. True happiness is based on peace.”

Let's see, the average lap speed at the Indy 500 a year or two back was 157.528 mph which is only a hair faster than yer 250 kph. The only track I recall offhand where anyone can safely do what you describe is the Nurburgring Nordschliefe, and I seriously doubt that any of our BF denizens (including you) have even BEEN THERE, not even AS SPECTATORS.

So you think driving 250km headed into a sweeping curve would not be exciting and bring happiness?

Pick anything that is exciting and fun and tell me it does not bring happiness.

Getting wrapped around the axle about what specific exciting activity is missing the point, you idiot.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Someone passed us on the freeway last night. The freeways around here are mostly empty because they are toll roads, so you can drive very fast. We were going 150kph, which is way too fast for my taste, but very easy to do without realizing it. The speed limit is 120kph. Someone went screaming past us, so fast that our car shook as they passed. They must have been doing more than 225kph.

Just saying, since the above post is so far off topic it made me think of it.

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter

So you think driving 250km headed into a sweeping curve would not be exciting and bring happiness?

Pick anything that is exciting and fun and tell me it does not bring happiness.

Getting wrapped around the axle about what specific exciting activity is missing the point, you idiot.
Actually, I don't. I do imagine that powering OUT of that curve at 270 might bring happiness for some people, not that I've done so myself.

But no worries, I'll give ya 9.2 on the dismount/disclaimer.