Was Ulysses H. Grant the greatest general and President of the modern age?

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Greatest general might have been Sherman, bring hellish fire to the racist cunts in the South. Too bad he didn't finish them off.

Greatest President that most Americans don't know much about was probably Garfield.

OP
OP

Blandscape

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
During his two terms he did demand that the KKK be destroyed, root and branch by the federal governance, and not the myopia of state legislature. It was only after he left that the rot set in, and remained unconfronted until Kennedy.

OP
OP

Blandscape

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Sherman was under Grant's control. Grant had a strategy for the whole theatre, Sherman was his lieutenant in the East.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
During his two terms he did demand that the KKK be destroyed, root and branch by the federal governance, and not the myopia of state legislature. It was only after he left that the rot set in, and remained unconfronted until Kennedy.

Grant? Too bad he wasn't successful. Wilson might have been among the worst.

Admin.

When you're a Alpha, you're an Alpha all the way!
Site Supporter
☠️Private Forum Access
I can understand how his domestic policy was questionable, but creating the conditions for the collapse of the Soviet Union is a very huge plus in my book.
He just happened to be there at the time re Russia. He also created the crack epidemic, and sold arms to Iran.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
He just happened to be there at the time re Russia. He also created the crack epidemic, and sold arms to Iran.

He contributed to the arms race they couldn't afford to have, but that hurt our economy too. We're still dealing with the impact of slashing taxes on the wealthy like he did.

Larry Loungelizard

I appreciate irony as long as I'm not it's victim.
Site Supporter
Factory Bastard
I don't see how logically he caused the drug problem, but, yes, I thought the Iran deal was total BS.

Admin.

When you're a Alpha, you're an Alpha all the way!
Site Supporter
☠️Private Forum Access
He contributed to the arms race they couldn't afford to have, but that hurt our economy too. We're still dealing with the impact of slashing taxes on the wealthy like he did.
And embedding the rw Christians into the Republican Party, culminating in the supreme court we have now.

Larry Loungelizard

Site Supporter
Factory Bastard
The Soviet Union was collapsing in itself with a terrible economy and rampant corruption. Reagan might have nudged it, but it imploded really.
When he came into office, the Soviets had just pushed their influence to the farthest it would go (Central America, southern Africa, parts of the Mideast), but by the time he left office, there was a rollback.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I don't see how logically he caused the drug problem, but, yes, I thought the Iran deal was total BS.

His CIA brought drugs into the country to be sold to finance his efforts in Central America. He fucked up South Central LA while simultaneously fucking up Central America.

Another thing we can thank him for impacting us to this day. There's a reason they flee their countries for ours...

Larry Loungelizard

Site Supporter
Factory Bastard
His CIA brought drugs into the country to be sold to finance his efforts in Central America. He fucked up South Central LA while simultaneously fucking up Central America.

Another thing we can thank him for impacting us to this day. There's a reason they flee their countries for ours...
The government and both political parties have had plenty of time investigating the so-called CIA involvement in drugs and so far nothing found.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I honestly wonder why people keep thinking something happened just because a few lefty journalists/news organizations print something.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The government and both political parties have had plenty of time investigating the so-called CIA involvement in drugs and so far nothing found.

I honestly wonder why people keep thinking something happened just because a few lefty journalists/news organizations print something.

Ha! Cover up. Do you think we're ever going to be told the truth about CIA corruption?

I don't.

OP
OP

Blandscape

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Greatest general was Eisenhower and greatest president, IMHO, is a tie between FDR and Reagan.

I need to tell you that although Regan's presidency offered hope to the world, he was considered by satirists at the time to be the most laughable President in your country's history. Until George Bush Jnr, and subsequently theredafter Donald Trump.

I would make the argument between the correlation of one to the other. Regan was the real reason conspiracy theory alighted at a new world order, as George Snr brought that fruit into easy reach by simply using that terminology. Overlooking the role he played in the McArthur hearings and his wife's legendary Hollywood deep throat abilities, one is left wondering what deep throat actually means in a deep throat governance.. All we know for sure is that Nancy actually swallowed.

I am here to remind everyone about what U.H. Grant did for your country, and not the rewriting of a history that only demands a rewriting of history. Lincoln was the benchmark, U.H. Grant surpassed even that.

There has never been a greater general on the North American continent. Not really open to debate. He embarrassed Robert E. Lee...enough said.

Larry Loungelizard

Site Supporter
Factory Bastard
I need to tell you that although Regan's presidency offered hope to the world, he was considered by satirists at the time to be the most laughable President in your country's history. Until George Bush Jnr, and subsequently theredafter Donald Trump.

I would make the argument between the correlation of one to the other. Regan was the real reason conspiracy theory alighted at a new world order, as George Snr brought that fruit into easy reach by simply using that terminology. Overlooking the role he played in the McArthur hearings and his wife's legendary Hollywood deep throat abilities, one is left wondering what deep throat actually means in a deep throat governance.. All we know for sure is that Nancy actually swallowed.

I am here to remind everyone about what U.H. Grant did for your country, and not the rewriting of a history that only demands a rewriting of history. Lincoln was the benchmark, U.H. Grant surpassed even that.

There has never been a greater general on the North American continent. Not really open to debate. He embarrassed Robert E. Lee...enough said.
I agree on Bush Jr. and Trump. They make Reagan look like a rocket scientist.

This link shows the transcript of Reagan's testimony at the HUAC meeting:

He never specifically named anyone as a communist or a sympathizer.

OP
OP

Blandscape

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
I am genuinely wondering why some Americans hold Lee in such regard, when through no fault of his he was confronted by a general whom Lincoln himself considered a coward. McClellan was never up to his task, twice, and it beggars belief that claiming ownership over a theatre that was so easily surrendered as an act of great generalship, seems rather disingenuous.

Indeed when Grant took over in the West, won victories, was placed in overall command and then had Sherman on his flank, the war was won. Even if Lee did have less reserves, Grant outmaneuvered him. Going from memory here, so forgive me if I am wrong, but to take Richmond he flanked Lee on three separate occasions before Vicksburg. And before Lee even knew what was happening. Vicksburg fell, Richmond quickly followed.

Lee surrenders.

And with him the South. Have I oversimplified?

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I am genuinely wondering why some Americans hold Lee in such regard, when through no fault of his he was confronted by a general whom Lincoln himself considered a coward. McClellan was never up to his task, twice, and it beggars belief that claiming ownership over a theatre that was so easily surrendered as an act of great generalship, seems rather disingenuous.

Indeed when Grant took over in the West, won victories, was placed in overall command and then had Sherman on his flank, the war was won. Even if Lee did have less reserves, Grant outmaneuvered him. Going from memory here, so forgive me if I am wrong, but to take Richmond he flanked Lee on three separate occasions before Vicksburg. And before Lee even knew what was happening. Vicksburg fell, Richmond quickly followed.

Lee surrenders.

And with him the South. Have I oversimplified?

It's because they're deluded about our history. They don't know it, Blandy.

The American educational system was developed to make workers, be on time, do as your told, go home when we say...it's not meant to educate the masses.