Why I Am Not A Christian

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
So, Bertrand Russell did this better than I ever will or could. But it needs to be said yet again in this theocratic age.

First a recap of Russell's main points.

A. There are no good logical arguments offered as proof for God's existence.
B. Christ was not the best and wisest of men.
C. Christian theology is based predominantly on fear.

That being laid out, I have to agree with points A and C. As to whether Christ was or wasn't "the best and wisest of men," who knows? I sort of wish I had a time machine. I'd go hear the man speak. And then I'd go a bit further back in time and compare what Christ had to say with what Socrates was saying at the Agora in Athens.

Religious belief, to me, is the summit of irrationality. Atheism is much to be preferred.

To take a page from the team of lawyers defending Fox host Tucker Carlson: "in other words, given Christ's reputation, any reasonable person arrives with an appropriate amount of skepticism about the statements he makes."

I'm a reasonable person. And I arrive with an appropriate amount of skepticism about the statements Christ is said to have made.

Atheism is the smarter way to go.

OP
OP
Blurt

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
That reply was pretty random.

Guess you’re in the right sub, at least.

So there is that.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I can't say I blame you @Blurt.

I got screwed over by 1.

He claimed to follow Jesus & the Bible & then stole from me.

Worse yet he accused me of stealing when he was the one doing all the stealing.

He was nothing but a huckster for God.
Wicked sinister & nefarious.

Gotta watch out for people what they claim to be isnt always what they really are.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
So, Bertrand Russell did this better than I ever will or could. But it needs to be said yet again in this theocratic age.

First a recap of Russell's main points.

A. There are no good logical arguments offered as proof for God's existence.
B. Christ was not the best and wisest of men.
C. Christian theology is based predominantly on fear.

That being laid out, I have to agree with points A and C. As to whether Christ was or wasn't "the best and wisest of men," who knows? I sort of wish I had a time machine. I'd go hear the man speak. And then I'd go a bit further back in time and compare what Christ had to say with what Socrates was saying at the Agora in Athens.

Religious belief, to me, is the summit of irrationality. Atheism is much to be preferred.

To take a page from the team of lawyers defending Fox host Tucker Carlson: "in other words, given Christ's reputation, any reasonable person arrives with an appropriate amount of skepticism about the statements he makes."

I'm a reasonable person. And I arrive with an appropriate amount of skepticism about the statements Christ is said to have made.

Atheism is the smarter way to go.
And the fact that it suggests homosexuality is a sin in the bible! :Awesomeness:

OP
OP
Blurt

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Yes, sure, in the context of cultic proscriptions... along with the eating of bacon, ritualistic cross-dressing, and wearing garments made of both wool and linen. Sacred whores and gigolos (both straight and gay) were a big thing in the temples of neighbouring nations, particularly in Syria and Phoenicia. Leviticus and Deuteronomy were formulated to discourage the emulation of these behaviours, to keep the Hebrews holy and free them from the risk of assimilation into other peoples and tribes.

Stop being such a spiritual toddler, Breaky. I thought you were supposed to be smart.

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
The big question is why are we here and what's next ? floating around heaven with no body or purpose - - - - - -

realgrimm

ፕልክፏቹክፕ ነየርጎልረጎነፕ
Global Moderator

and i hate my family
and i beg to be free
of that crap that christmas brings
an excuse for selling things

what a joy to be alone
away from the buying zone
but this party'll never die
'cause christ you're such a lie

hey christian god, get outta my face
your holy ghost is a curse on the human race
id like to string you up one more time
no stupid sacrament, no pissy wine

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I think it's possible that we want to believe in an after-life because of our egos. We just can't seem to understand the universe without us in it. Even after we leave we're still around. Huh?

Weird, imo.

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
The big question is why are we here and what's next ? floating around heaven with no body or purpose - - - - - -
Can't you simply look at the universe and ponder at the infinite possibilities?

You've never stopped to do a little digging and see how mainstream history is a pile of bullshit and archeology puts a big hole in everything?

Humans are a lot different from the rest of the creation and it goes beyond a lot more than bigger brains.

The same way our species have been evolving, the spirit does the same.

But then, you'd have to believe that you're a spirit to start with, but more and more are preferring to believe in the "sack of flash and bones wandering aimlessly" theory.

I've come to the conclusion that those believe in nothing have simply chosen to ignore a mountain of evidence saying otherwise.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Can't you simply look at the universe and ponder at the infinite possibilities?

You've never stopped to do a little digging and see how mainstream history is a pile of bullshit and archeology puts a big hole in everything?

Humans are a lot different from the rest of the creation and it goes beyond a lot more than bigger brains.

The same way our species have been evolving, the spirit does the same.

But then, you'd have to believe that you're a spirit to start with, but more and more are preferring to believe in the "sack of flash and bones wandering aimlessly" theory.

I've come to the conclusion that those believe in nothing have simply chosen to ignore a mountain of evidence saying otherwise.

Like what?

Even animals can show compassion, clearly animals emote. What makes us so different than the rest of the creatures in the natural world, other than our intelligence? And we can't even overcome our violent nature even with our intelligence, we still keep killing one another all over the planet.

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
Like what?

Even animals can show compassion, clearly animals emote. What makes us so different than the rest of the creatures in the natural world, other than our intelligence? And we can't even overcome our violent nature even with our intelligence, we still keep killing one another all over the planet.
As usual, you focus only on the negative side of everything.

Compassion is a trait found in animals that live in groups. Same way they can show other feelings that are found in humans.

But can animals have conversations like this one? Can they ponder about the deep questions about life and the universe?

Can you really say we're just animals that evolved "a bit different" than the rest?

As humans, we want these things to be "measurable". We want to put God, the soul, all of these things inside a jar and study it, keep it there. We can't deal with the fact that somethings are well beyond our control.

We quickly deny and bury God because "bad things happen". And rebel because we're not getting the answers we think we need or deserve. We demand that divinity exists only to do what we want, when we want. We work solely with the purpose of feeding our desires and whims and we refuse to accept our own nature. We do that in this world and in the other one.

The same the Jewish quickly denied that Christ was the messiah because Jesus didn't destroy their enemies and died like a lamb, we deny God because we're not satisfied with life.

In my experience I've found that a lot of people have some sort of "sign" in their lives and they've simply decided not to give it any thought. They refuse to search for anything beyond what keeps them comfortable and "sane".

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
As usual, you focus only on the negative side of everything.

Compassion is a trait found in animals that live in groups. Same way they can show other feelings that are found in humans.

But can animals have conversations like this one? Can they ponder about the deep questions about life and the universe?

Can you really say we're just animals that evolved "a bit different" than the rest?

As humans, we want these things to be "measurable". We want to put God, the soul, all of these things inside a jar and study it, keep it there. We can't deal with the fact that somethings are well beyond our control.

We quickly deny and bury God because "bad things happen". And rebel because we're not getting the answers we think we need or deserve. We demand that divinity exists only to do what we want, when we want. We work solely with the purpose of feeding our desires and whims and we refuse to accept our own nature. We do that in this world and in the other one.

The same the Jewish quickly denied that Christ was the messiah because Jesus didn't destroy their enemies and died like a lamb, we deny God because we're not satisfied with life.

In my experience I've found that a lot of people have some sort of "sign" in their lives and they've simply decided not to give it any thought. They refuse to search for anything beyond what keeps them comfortable and "sane".

I don't think that I only focus on the negative. I focus on what I deem to be reality.

The most important thing "God" tells us to do is to love one another as "he" loves us. We can't even do that, Rancid. That doesn't make "me" negative, it makes us negative.

The Jews denied that the individual we know as "Christ" was the Messiah, because historically at that time, many many men were saying they were the Messiah.

I don't have a beef with people that believe in God, more power to them. If it brings them comfort, I think it's a good thing.

Personally I would like more Christians to be compassionate and loving as Christ commanded, taking care of the poor, ill and wretched. Less hate, more love...now that would be inspiring.