Why I Do Not Watch Baseball⚾

The New Holliday

Now With 25% More Infinity
Site Supporter
I watched a lot of baseball last year. As a near lifelong Yankees fan it was fun to watch Aaron Judge's pursuit of Roger Maris' Major League Home Run record, until the end when it got kind of tedious. Yes it was the legitimate record. But the game itself sucks, and I vowed not to watch it at all this year and I haven't.
Here's the short list of what I would change.

1) No fuckin bling - it's baseball, not a nightclub for posers.
2) rosters limited to 10 active pitchers. Flamethrowing for 4 or 5 innings as a starter and to 3 batters as a reliver has done more to destroy the game than any other single change from golden era baseball. Live pitch Home Run Derby is boring. Hitting/base running strategy and pitching, as opposed to hurling, is what Baseball is about.
3) Pointing to the heavens - STFU assholes. Do you point to Hades when things don't go well for you which is most of the time?
I would outlaw that nonsense. It's baseball, not a religious or commemorative ceremony.
4) Pitch clock my ass. When one of the primadonnas starts preening outside the box, the plate umpire should direct them to the box and remind them it isn't a fashion shoot, they aren't a model or a Kardashian - it's a baseball game. If they don't abide - see ya - yore outta here.
5) Ghost Runners - WTLF?

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I don’t watch baseball a lot on TV… mostly because my father always said I jinxed the Dodgers. I would walk in and they would be up and a double play would happen to end the inning. But I was at the game with the 2nd triple play in their history and also when Nomar ripped a grand slam on a full count while they were down by 2 in the 9th…. so I eventually was able to redeem myself. He took us to games every season.

But I prefer minor league ball tbh.

Wriggly has to be my favorite stadium though of all time. The history and feels are magnificent. Chavez Ravine has a sketchy past.

Last edited:

Scooter

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I don't watch baseball on TV because I don't watch TV. I could listen to it on the radio with the commentators but maybe I don't want to listen to them, even though they can be entertaining. Also, baseball usually starts when I'm ready to go to bed for the night.

I haven't been to an Orioles game in a while. That's something I really enjoy. Hanging out with friends, ballpark food and a couple beers. Watch the game, chat about things, maybe fill out a scorecard. Camden Yards is a great place to watch a baseball game and enjoy the amenities.

Admin.

The Flying Fickle Finger Of Fate.
Site Supporter ☠️
"Baseball is the game of anticipation" Bases loaded bottom of the ninth home team down 3 runs with 2 outs, and Casey Jones is at the plate"

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
My son freaking loves baseball. He did from time he was two and got his first wiffle ball and bat set. He learned how to throw the ball and hit it...at two years old that's incredible hand eye coordination. He loves the sport. He played for a long time, great pitcher.

He went to his first baseball game with his Dad and his Uncle Mark. He was about 6 yrs old, maybe 5. Uncle Mark was from Chicago and the Cubs were in town (SF) to play the Giants. Off they went. They get to the stadium and Uncle Mark wants my boy to have a great time. He buys him all the stadium treats.

He gets home. He's tired but excited. I sit him down to tell me all about the game. "Son" how was the game? Tell me all about it...what was the best part?

Mom, mom...Uncle Mark got me a hot dog. I nod my head. Then he got me fries, hot chocolate, peanuts and soda!! It started giggling, and asked him "But how about the game? How was the game?"

"Oh yeah, that was good too! I'm tired mommy."

I looked at his dad who was smiling and we both chuckled. These type of memories make parenting all worth while.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
My son was around 2 when my brothers taught him how to hit a tennis ball with one of those thick red plastic bats. They also taught him how to run to first after he hit it and slide.

Mind you, this carried over to t-ball and minors. He would turn and smile at me while he was still in slide position at first and the outfielders were still scrambling for the ball :OhGawd:

He excelled at football.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I watched a lot of baseball last year. As a near lifelong Yankees fan it was fun to watch Aaron Judge's pursuit of Roger Maris' Major League Home Run record, until the end when it got kind of tedious. Yes it was the legitimate record. But the game itself sucks, and I vowed not to watch it at all this year and I haven't.

2) rosters limited to 10 active pitchers. Flamethrowing for 4 or 5 innings as a starter and to 3 batters as a reliver has done more to destroy the game than any other single change from golden era baseball. Live pitch Home Run Derby is boring. Hitting/base running strategy and pitching, as opposed to hurling, is what Baseball is about.
3) Pointing to the heavens - STFU assholes. Do you point to Hades when things don't go well for you which is most of the time?
I would outlaw that nonsense. It's baseball, not a religious or commemorative ceremony.
4) Pitch clock my ass. When one of the primadonnas starts preening outside the box, the plate umpire should direct them to the box and remind them it isn't a fashion shoot, they aren't a model or a Kardashian - it's a baseball game. If they don't abide - see ya - yore outta here.
5) Ghost Runners - WTLF?

I used to like watching baseball as a Kid.

But that was back in the day when they had all these players who would one day become HOFers.

Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson, Brooks Robison, Boog Powell, Johnny Bench, Frank Robison, Roberto Clemente, etc etc etc.

Pete Rose who really should be reinstated given the amount of corruption and sports betting in Baseball and other pro sports today.

I don't watch baseball anymore, but it would appear that the complaints about it are abundant in other pro sports today as well.

Professional Ice Hockey as well has become a joke. No flow, too many teams, not enough actual talent.
too much filler, many players are overpaid cardboard. Actually many of them shouldn't be in the NHL or making the slalaries they do. Back in the day, most would be minor leaguers riding the bus making peanuts for beer money.
Many believe that the NHL fixes its games and the winner of the Stanley Cup now.
It's just run by gambling and the mafia, which the Las Vegas Golden Knights appear to be a front for.

The only time we see 'Real Hockey' anymore or close to it as at the Olympics where the game is run by actual rules and not interfered with by meddlesome fixers.

Last edited:

The Prowler

Factory Bastard

5) Ghost Runners - WTLF?

1. Agreed. These guys are supposed to be role models. Kids see that and idolize money.

2. I hate seeing starting pitchers being pulled in the 6th and 7th innings when they are pitching a great game. There are way too many middle relievers.

3. That has been a weird thing for a while in interviews. "First, I would like to thank God." But yeah, now bringing that into every hit, every stolen base, etc.. What, does God hate the other team or something?

4. I think the pitch clock is going to be a non-issue within a few years. The biggest thing that concerns me is that the umpiring, especially the calling of balls and strikes, seems to have suffered. Do plate umpires now have too much to think about?

5. I understand the thought - to keep the number of extra innings down. It does suck when a game turns into a marathon and then one of the teams is traveling that night or whatever. These guys play so many games that a marathon game can affect them for several games after.

My wife watches a lot of Blue Jays, so I end up watching part of a lot of games with her. It is probably the sport that I like watching the most, although I do not like to watch sports a lot. I would still rather play or officiate.

That said, I am off to play a baseball game in an hour and a half. I played yesterday and went 3 for 3 and made some nice plays at the hot corner. We will see how my old body holds up to two days in a row. Baseball is way harder on the body than most people realize.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I don’t watch baseball a lot on TV… mostly because my father always said I jinxed the Dodgers. I would walk in and they would be up and a double play would happen to end the inning. But I was at the game with the 2nd triple play in their history and also when Nomar ripped a grand slam on a full count while they were down by 2 in the 9th…. so I eventually was able to redeem myself. He took us to games every season.

But I prefer minor league ball tbh.

Wriggly has to be my favorite stadium though of all time. The history and feels are magnificent. Chavez Ravine has a sketchy past.
My dad took us to watch the SF Giants. Only time I enjoyed baseball was when I went to a live game with him. They were very much fun.

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter

Why I Do Not Watch Baseball​

I was thinking you can't afford it -
Your team sucks -

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
My dad took us to watch the SF Giants. Only time I enjoyed baseball was when I went to a live game with him. They were very much fun.
I saw the Oakland A’s play the Baltimore Orioles live as well

That was when those 2 teams in their prime were stacked with Great Stars like Reggie Jackson & the Great Baltimore Pitchers who had 4 20 game winners that year.

I remember Boog Powell.

He was indeed a Big Man & looked like it even from the bleachers.

Scooter

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I remember Boog Powell.

He was indeed a Big Man & looked like it even from the bleachers.
Boog's Barbecue was always a must-have when I went to an Orioles game. Pit beef or pit turkey was a choice to be made. In most instances anywhere else, you'd get the beef but that smoked turkey was so damned good.

So, yeah ... Boog was usually there and I probably shook his hand a couple or so times. He's a big guy but not really. Maybe he was in comparison to others in his playing days, though.

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
Not only baseball, football too

I could watch basketball back in the 90's when it was about the game and not the kneeling or a World Cup soccer game

But the first time I tried watching a football game, it bored me to death. All the intermissions and ads, not to mention it would stretch for more than 3 hours sometimes

The same with baseball, too boring

I understand it's something you have to grow up with to get used to.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Not only baseball, football too

I could watch basketball back in the 90's when it was about the game and not the kneeling or a World Cup soccer game

But the first time I tried watching a football game, it bored me to death. All the intermissions and ads, not to mention it would stretch for more than 3 hours sometimes

The same with baseball, too boring

I understand it's something you have to grow up with to get used to.
American football is phenomenally boring, imo. I grew up with it and have zero interest. There's good reason ehy it hasn't spread around the world.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
T

Too hot fer me @LotusBud !

Cripes when the merc hits 75 here I begin ta bake

Room temperature is my limit

Wow.

You must have some kind of serious medical condition.

It is no wonder you do not play sports, Senile @Joe. The ability to regulate one's body temperature is essential in any rigorous activity.

Yeah. 75 is around my upper limit.

Man, you two are really sickly people.

One thing I see consistently on sports fields/arenas: The more out-of-shape a person is, the more they are at risk of over-heating.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
American football is phenomenally boring, imo. I grew up with it and have zero interest. There's good reason ehy it hasn't spread around the world.

It's an expensive sport to play. It takes more than sneakers, a field, some balls and a net. It's popular in Mexico. Canadians have their own league.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
It's an expensive sport to play. It takes more than sneakers, a field, some balls and a net. It's popular in Mexico. Canadians have their own league.
Steroids too

If ya want yer child to end up as a junkie and brain dead from concussions American football is the way ta go. Apparently ice hockey too

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Steroids too

If ya want yer child to end up as a junkie and brain dead from concussions American football is the way ta go. Apparently ice hockey too

I'm not talking about the pros and cons of playing. I'm addressing how accessible or not American football is, Joe.

Master

Won't post at a forum CDunce has a panel at
Site Supporter
1. Agreed. These guys are supposed to be role models. Kids see that and idolize money.
Not as bad as the NBA.

I have no issues with the on field flex. Its 2023, not 1952.

2. I hate seeing starting pitchers being pulled in the 6th and 7th innings when they are pitching a great game. There are way too many middle relievers.
I agree. The whole "three pitchers, three innings" shit the Ray's have pulled off is an embarrassment to the game.

The over reliance on analytics has turned real life baseball into a video game. Cy Youngs wins record will never be broken.

4. I think the pitch clock is going to be a non-issue within a few years. The biggest thing that concerns me is that the umpiring, especially the calling of balls and strikes, seems to have suffered. Do plate umpires now have too much to think about?
Until they find loopholes like the guy who waited until the last second or threw the pitch right when the clock started.

Another useless gimmick.

5. I understand the thought - to keep the number of extra innings down. It does suck when a game turns into a marathon and then one of the teams is traveling that night or whatever. These guys play so many games that a marathon game can affect them for several games after.
Another dumb gimmick.

My wife watches a lot of Blue Jays, so I end up watching part of a lot of games with her. It is probably the sport that I like watching the most, although I do not like to watch sports a lot. I would still rather play or officiate.

That said, I am off to play a baseball game in an hour and a half. I played yesterday and went 3 for 3 and made some nice plays at the hot corner. We will see how my old body holds up to two days in a row. Baseball is way harder on the body than most people realize.
Baseball will always be the best sport ever.