OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Best Joe thread evah.

Keep up the good work, buddy.

Actually @Biggie Smiles - the thread was meant as a computer tech question for & other techies in this forum.

I deleted it cuz at the time I couldn't think of the proper wording or way to say it at the time.

By any chance, do you know if it is possible to change the physical MAC address on an old computer?

I have this old Silicon Graphics workstation and some old Alias/Maya software that runs on the SGI Irix/Unix platform. But the software is tied to a specific MAC address of another computer

I figgered if I could change the Mac Address on my SGI computer, I could install the software and make it run.

Is this possible?

Or if a person is stuck with a certain MAC address it is what it is?

How would you reconfigure a MAC address?

Can it be done through software?

Or is it strictly hardware based and the user must rip the hardware entirely and replace it?

Here's a link which suggests this may be possible:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

....however maybe hardware MAC addresses and software MAC addresses are distinct & different?

What's your take?

Last edited:

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
Best Joe thread evah.

Actually @Biggie Smiles - the thread was meant as a computer tech question for & other techies in this forum.

I deleted it cuz at the time I couldn't think of the proper wording or way to say it.

By any chance, do you know if it is possible to change the physical MAC address on an old computer?

I have this old Silicon Graphics workstation and some old Alias/Maya software that runs on the SGI Irix/Unix platform. But the software is tied to a specific MAC address of another computer

I figgered if I could change the Mac Address on my SGI computer, I could install the software and make it run.

Is this possible?

Or is it strictly hardware based and the user must rip the hardware entirely and replace it?
On windows you do it in the registry or right click on the adapter

in linux you use a program called macchanger or you do it manually with ifconfig

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Best Joe thread evah.

I deleted it cuz at the time I couldn't think of the proper wording or way to say it.

Is this possible?

in linux you use a program called macchanger or you do it manually with ifconfig

So ....that will change the 'physical' MAC Address so the software installer recognizes it/ matches it & can install it?

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
Best Joe thread evah.

Is this possible?

So ....that will change the 'physical' MAC Address so the software installer recognizes it/ matches it & can install it?
NO. Mac addresses are burned into the card by the vendor at the time of assembly. However, you can get local software to recognize the change and remote computers will recognize it on the LAN due to arp replies

why you trying to change the mac address? Pirating some kind of software which relies on it as it's authenticator?

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Oh, it's a very old computer, the Silicon Graphics O2 workstation that I bought when the company went out of business for $200. It was the same one that was used to make the special effects for the 1st Jurassic Park movie.

220px-Silicon_Graphics_O2_Plus.jpg

At the time companies were throwing these computers out the window and they were cheap. But now there's been a resurgence in vintage computers and they've become expensive again.

I managed find a listing on ebay for Alias software with all the cds and manuals. And it has a physical MAC address associated with it.

Obviously I'm not planning to use this commercially but just for fun.

I just wanna see if I can get this old machine up and running again.

Apparently some people still use them. I suppose if they could be networked up to a modern apple or Windows PC thru ether net they could still be useful by transfer data like megs or jpegs.

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
Oh, it's a very old computer, the Silicon Graphics O2 workstation that I bought when the company went out of business for $200. It was the same one that was used to make the special effects for the 1st Jurassic Park movie.

At the time companies were throwing these computers out the window and they were cheap. But now there's been a resurgence in vintage computers and they've become expensive again.

I managed find a listing on ebay for Alias software with all the cds and manuals. And it has a physical MAC address associated with it.

I just wanna see if I can get this old machine up and running again for fun.

Apparently some people still use them. I suppose if they could be networked up to a modern apple or Windows PC thru ether net they could still be useful by transfer data like megs or jpegs.
what OS does the machine use?

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I just wanna see if I can get this old machine up and running again for fun.

what OS does the machine use?

IRIX 6.5.3 - WHICH is a repurposed v proprietary version of UNIX. But the commands are mostly the same.

It's closest modern cousin is Linux.

Actually there's a guy out there who made a version called desk top MAXX that works on Intel machines. You could download it for free and try it out.

The old version of irix ran on rk12000 mips risc chips.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
OK thanks.

I haven't got the machine hooked up at the moment but will try that. The machine fires up when plugged in. I had photoshop illustrator and premiere running on it.

Thanks.

You would likely understand the old sgi machines quite well or get to quickly if you know Linux inside and out.

This is just a 'commodore' Amiga type retro project to see if I can get it up and running.

Last edited:

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
How long have you had the machine, Joe?

They were some coveted workstations among the graphics arts type people back in the day....

Pirating some kind of software which relies on it as it's authenticator?

It sounds like the answer might be "Yes" as it appears the license was for one machine (specdific NIC) only. But maybe the software is now "public domain" software based on some obscure copyright law or something. I am sure the resident legal expert Murdock could clarify.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
How long have you had the machine, Joe?

10 YEARS ago? There still are second hand SGI dealers in Ontario & Quebec. They used to be cheap but with the dwindling supply the prices have gone up. You can but them on eBay.

I'll post some links where you can download the emulator that runs on an Intel PC.

You might need a program like Virtual Box (vb) which is free then install the SGI emulator and software through vb. It's a software like Parallels or Virtual PC so you can install multiple operating systems on your computer. Even Mac OS X if you want

There are links for old software that ran on old sgi machines you can download but I'm not sure if they will work with the emulator as they were made for a mips not an Intel chip. Still it's worth a try. Sgi made a few Intel pcs tho.

It sounds like the answer might be "Yes" as it appears the license was for one machine (specdific NIC) only. But maybe the software is now "public domain" software based on some obscure copyright law or something. I am sure the resident legal expert Murdock could clarify.

...no its Def not 'legal' as the current owner of the program (Autodesk - the makers of AutoCAD) would almost never certainly want anyone to re-activate an old piece of software like that. They dont even want you to have permanent non expiring licensed versions of their software on anyone's computers anymore. Even if you paid for them and they used to be legal.

I have an old version of Maya on an old Macintosh computer that never expires. It was legal at the time i bought it. But I never plug it inta the internet cuz I know their snitch software would shut it down now. Adobe would do the same too. So if you have old versions of these programs you wanna keep, never hook your PC or Mac into the Internet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Thx Mel.

Yeah I'll search for those free sgi software links and post them later. Maybe some people might be interested in giving it a whirl for the heck of it.

Doesn't cost you anything Cept your time and a bit if free disk space or an old PC.

The amount of space used by irix was minimal the max size was 73 gb scsi hd and I think the ram was 1 gb? They were super efficient tho hence the file sizes were tiny. Much smaller than Mac or PC.

I think the manuals can be found for free out there these days. So anyone can set them up on their own.

May be a time consuming process tho.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
@Biggie Smiles & @The Prowler

Here is a link for an SGI emulator.

I'm not sure how it works, or if it needs some virtual machine setup

like Virtual Box:

If you're interested, I could post some other software links for free downloadable software apps/games that might run on it.

If not, then I won't bother.

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
With a hypervisor like oracle virtual box you can certainly assisgn whatever MAC address you want to the VM

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Vids of singers badly lip-syncing to their own tunes just don't do it for me. :Pissed5:

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
I haven't seen it either.

They want $25 from me just to RENT it! Eff that shite!

As a fellow Quebec frog, I like his work but that's insane.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Oh, I'm quite aware of TPB, Scoundz.

I haven't owned a computer for well nigh three years now. When my last one finally gave up the ghost, I decided to let the event mark the passing of an era.

Also, I ditched my phone nearly two years ago. Fittingly, one of my last phone convos on that device was with one Harry McKnackers. As soon as I hung up, it burst into flames.

When need be, I still check up on rebel sites (for instance, for epubs) using someone else's laptop but my days of enjoying BD rips are behind me. So are my chopping days (I don't have a gazillion member pix like, say, a Freud or a Raven does, so it's a moot activity for me anyway)... which is sorta too bad as I was fairly good at it, too.