AIDS stats

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

HIV in Australia​

In 2020, it was estimated that there were 29,090 people with HIV in Australia. Of these 29,090 people, an estimated 91% were diagnosed by the end of 2020. The research also shows that 91% of people diagnosed were receiving HIV treatment, and of those on treatment, 97% had an undetectable viral load.

In 2020, 58% of HIV notifications were attributed to sexual contact between men. 24% of cases were attributed to heterosexual sex, 10% to a combination of sexual contact between men and injecting drug use, 3% to injecting drug use alone, and 5% to other/unspecified.

Between 2011 and 2016, the HIV notification rate among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people increased from 3.6 to 6.3 per 100,000 and then declined to 2.2 per 100,000 in 2020 compared to 2.3 per 100,000 among Australian-born non-Indigenous people. While there has been a decrease in 2020, smaller numbers mean we must be cautious in its interpretation.

Of the HIV notifications in 2020 with male-to-male sex as their risk exposure, 45% were overseas-born men.

42,076 individuals in Australia had been dispensed subsidised PrEP by the end of 2020. COVID-19 has disrupted healthcare access, and a significant number of gay and bisexual men stopped using PrEP during the pandemic.

HIV data is collected at diagnosis in each state and territory in Australia and analysed by the
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
. Information in this section is drawn from these reports.

HIV in Australia Snapshot​

Each year, AFAO provides a snapshot of what HIV looks like in Australia. This resource, HIV in Australia, provides the most up to date epidemiological data in the form of a straightforward infographic

OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

You know when they claim AIDS has reduced it means people have died.

I think it is a timely warning for EVERYONE...

I am an American Dr Loraine Day (orthopaedic surgeon) fan. I WATCHED HER INDEPTHS discussions during the 90s thankfully...

Eating a dozen pills a day is no life. And that is exactly what AIDS persons have to endure.

My neighbours brother died of AIDS in 1995... I saw first hand what this disease does to people.

It is treated like it is nothing these days.. well it's NOT nothing. It robs people of their life. It's a slow suicide...

It costs society billions.

"An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure."

Australians did well to curb the initial threat in the 80s.

However men from the mines holidaying overseas in Bali have been picking up AIDS...

Is a fuck REALLY worth a death sentence? I HAVE ACTUALLY HEARD A MAN say yes. Once.

What do you say?

OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
45% of Australia's AIDS are from people from overseas.

Each AIDS person costs over $1,000,000.... and that figure is 20 years old.

But ya know, apparently our pockets are deep and we can fix the globe on borrowed money from Arabs. We won't pay for it but our children and grandchildren will. They aren't even born yet and they are doomed to a life of poverty.

So where are the politicians reminding people what is ahead in a REALISTIC manner? Where the fuck are they?