American Art, antiques & collectibles

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
…..better investment than the stock market?

I’ve noticed Many of them have appreciated 10x or more in the last 10 years.

If someone is into any of this stuff they should buy American. More than any other of its counterparts from other nations & cultures.

Comments?

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
@Joe Why do you worry so much about investments?

@Joe I own a fair bit of artwork. I only buy what I like. Some of it has appreciated quite a bit, but the main reason I buy it is because I like to look at it.

@Joe I also own some fairly expensive rocks that have significantly appreciated in value.

@Joe I also have a decent amount of other collectibles that I cannot tell you about right now because my wife is calling me for dinner.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
That’s interesting @The Prowler

Since you asked compare price of vintage American coins vs Canada in past 10 years. Canada’s had hardly budged in value while many American have shot up in value 10x

So by buying American items you could appreciate your net worth by doing nothing

I did this on some made in America items & they are worth over 20x what i paid for them

So if i chose to sell itd be a whopping profit

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Since you asked

@Joe The only thing I asked was "Why do you worry so much about investments?" which you did not answer.

@Joe You seem fixated on investing.

@Joe In my opinion people who buy art and collectibles strictly as speculative investments ruin it for people like me who actually enjoy the art and collectibles for what they are, regardless of monetary value.

@Joe You start many threads about investments. @Joe Why do you think about investments so much? @Joe Why do you seem so fixated on money?

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Well @The Prowler I’d feel far less guilty about investing in art collectibles & antiques than buying shares in Pfizer for the purpose of profiteering like you have. Especially since the people you profit from have sacrificed their health and sometimes their lives in the line of duty like our healthcare workers policemen or firefighters.

If i did that i would feel great shame & guilt.

If you profited from the pandemic you ought to donate all th profits to worthy causes to redeem yourself Prowler to prove to others that you are not a Judas and are better than that

I would

Last edited:

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
@Joe Pfizer is going to do what Pfizer is going to do whether I own shares in them or not.

@Joe People who speculate on art and collectibles drive up the prices and make it unaffordable for many people who have a truer interest in the items.

@Joe You really have no idea why you are so fixated on investments, do you @Joe?

@Joe Self-realization is not one of your strengths, is it @Joe?

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Because Prowler is an asshole who has intercourse with barnyard animals.
I was mildly surprised that I became interested in collecting Vintage hockey cards @Alticus.

I never thought I would be.

I just bought a few, but then I wanted to buy more.

Aside from being quite rare, I thought those are really cool/super interesting.

s-l1600.webp

So I've continued ta buy, eh?

However, the big challenge is ta find them at a good price, try not to pay too much and find 'em in a good grade.

Surprising thing, I don' wanna sell, Just wanna collect 'em.

Last edited:

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Moderator ☠️
I was mildly surprised that I became interested in collecting Vintage hockey cards @Alticus.

Aside from being quite rate, I thought those are really cool/super interesting.

s-l1600.webp

However, the big challenge is ta find them at a good price, try not to pay too much and find 'em in a good grade.

Some big names there. Definitely worth keeping.

Reactions: Joe

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
...but why do you automatically assume that anyone wants to make money from the actor's passing

Very astute, Senile @Joe.

I realized when I posted that message that I was making that assumption.

Let me just say....I know who I am dealing with, you money-worshiping fuck!!

Hahaha!!!

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard

Aside from being quite rare, I thought those are really cool/super interesting.

s-l1600.webp

I have the entire 1954 Topps collection in Near Mint - Mint condition.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
I have the entire 1954 Topps collection in Near Mint - Mint condition.
Well that's impressive....

....if it's true!

Why dont you post some pics @The Prowler?

I'll post a few of mine.

I only have a scant 4 from that set graded 4 or 5. My favorite from the Topps set is Alex Delvecchio. He was one of my favorite old time players because he was clean and classy.

The highest grade vintage card I have is a 1953 Parkhurst Milt Schmidt graded 7 or NM. I only bought it cuz the price wasn't too steep. I generally try to go on the cheap & avoid spending too much on those kinda collectibles eh?

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Anyway @The Prowler I'd be REALLY impressed if ya owned one of these:

s-l400.jpg

1911 Cyclone Taylor Imperial Tobacco card. In some ways more impressive than the 1910 edition because its creator used a very rare printing method using expensive inks and stone plates. So it was intended as some ultra elite edition over 100 years ago before the widespread use of color photography.

But it's very expensive.

About $2000 for a lower grade card.
I tried to get it by low bidding at $1400 US but the price ran away and it went at least twice as high as that.

The cheapest I've seen of any card from that set is about $400 Canadian. For that sum a person could buy 10 cards from the coveted 1954 Topps set.

Anyway here's the 1910 version of Cyclone Taylorhhes:

s-l1200.webp

He's kinda special because his team was the only one ever who brought the Stanley Cup to Vancouver

Last edited:

Breakfall

Such is life...
ASS BOXED
Anyway @The Prowler I'd be REALLY impressed if ya owned one of these:

s-l400.jpg

1911 Cyclone Taylor Imperial Tobacco card. In some ways more impressive than the 1910 edition because its creator used a very rare printing method using expensive inks and stone plates. So it was intended as some ultra elite edition over 100 years ago before the widespread use of color photography.

But it's very expensive.

About $2000 for a lower grade card.
I tried to get it by low bidding at $1400 US but the price ran away and it went at least twice as high as that.

The cheapest I've seen of any card from that set is about $400 Canadian. For that sum a person could buy 10 cards from the coveted 1954 Topps set.

Anyway here's the 1910 version of Cyclone Taylorhhes:

s-l1200.webp

He's kinda special because his team was the only one ever who brought the Stanley Cup to Vancouver
RIP James.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
You came back almost an hour after making that post to edit it.

What did it say before the edit?
It was probably a spelling or formatting error @The Prowler

I was gonna post a pic of the oldest hockey card I own Lexx.

It's from 1933 & features a player who skated for a defunct NHL team called the New York Americans.

tC47ldEI_o.jpg

T0kuMMZc_o.jpg

I've gotta few other 1930 Depression era hockey cards.

Those are generally very rare cuz many either go thrown out of there weren't many ever made to begin with. And of course, most people didn't have any money. So being able to afford luxuries like sports cards was out of the question for many.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
It was probably a spelling or formatting error @The Prowler

I was gonna post a pic of the oldest hockey card I own Lexx.

It's from 1933 & features a player who skated for a defunct NHL team called the New York Americans.

tC47ldEI_o.jpg

T0kuMMZc_o.jpg

I've gotta few other 1930 Depression era hockey cards.

Those are generally very rare cuz many either go thrown out of there weren't many ever made to begin with. And of course, most people didn't have any money. So being able to afford luxuries like sports cards was out of the question for many.

That card has not even been graded.

What kind of a collector are you?

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
That card has not even been graded.

What kind of a collector are you?
That was actually the 1st vintage card I bought on eBay @The Prowler

I think I paid about $2.50 at the time. However I noticed those Depression era cards are getting more expensive lately. They're like $40-100 each now. Still a good buy considering typical vintage baseball cards can sell for thousands or even million$. And they're quite rare.

I bought some other 1930 era NHL cards recently and those are 'slabbed' & graded by SGC. I'll post some photos of them. Not super high grade but to find ANY cards from that era is difficult. They might even be more scarce or hard to find than the 1910/11 Imperial Tobacco cards because that's how poor people were during the Great Depression Lex.

If a Kid back then got his hands on a comic book or sports card in those days they probably got passed around and used by another 100 kids or siblings. Even if they cost a penny or 2 there was hardly any money for 'luxuries' like that or even time to play around since many kids had to work on farms & help their families earn a living during the Great Depression.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
That was actually the 1st vintage card I bought on eBay @The Prowler

I think I paid about $2.50 at the time. However I noticed those Depression era cards are getting more expensive lately. They're like $40-100 each now. Still a good buy considering typical vintage baseball cards can sell for thousands or even million$. And they're quite rare.

I bought some other 1930 era NHL cards recently and those are 'slabbed' & graded by SGC. I'll post some photos of them. Not super high grade but to find ANY cards from that era is difficult. They might even be more scarce or hard to find than the 1910/11 Imperial Tobacco cards because that's how poor people were during the Great Depression Lex.

If a Kid back then got his hands on a comic book or sports card in those days they probably got passed around and used by another 100 kids or siblings. Even if they cost a penny or 2 there was hardly any money for 'luxuries' like that or even time to play around since many kids had to work on farms & help their families earn a living during the Great Depression.

Do you think it is funny that a grown man worships other grown men for doing something they could be out doing themselves?

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Do you think it is funny that a grown man worships other grown men for doing something they could be out doing themselves?
Well in that case, how come you collect em too @The Prowler?

You just claimed you had a complete set of the 1954 Topps cards.

You:

The Prowler
I have the entire 1954 Topps collection in Near Mint - Mint condition
...caught you in the act, eh Lex? Tsk tsk. ;D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Anyway @The Prowler if I lived in yer neck 9f the woods I'd take advantage of all the collecting universe has to offer

We dont get nearly the selection and quality of collectibles like they do back in east.

Ie Vintage WWII era Canadian comic books are in high demand & are sought after even by the National Archives of Canada. But of course just like those old hockey cards they were all made/published in Ontario.

Even the Americans want them.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Yeah but you collect hockey cards Lex @The Prowler

I do the same on occasion so we are both collectors.

You must admire the athletic prowess of these all time greats as well. Otherwise you wouldn't collect them.

I do not worship them, Senile @Joe.

I play hockey.

I collected the cards when I was a youngster.

As a man, I do not worship other men.

You do.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
 qq
I do not worship them, Senile @Joe.

I play hockey.

I collected the cards when I was a youngster.

As a man, I do not worship other men.

You do.
Oh I just think the art and elusiveness of these cards was quite spectacular

The Topps set is described as 9ne of the best set of trading cards ever

Much better value than baseball football & basketball cards & way more affordable & rarer.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Do you have any Darth Vader cards?

The guy that did his voice died. I am surprised nobody has mentioned it.
No.

I'm not a Star Wars collector

But I remember when the 1st 2 movies came out.

They were very good.

If I'd only had the foresight to collect the 1970s stuff I'd be laughing all the way to the bank @The Prowler . I def missed the boat on that 1.

I saw some original movie scripts from those films for sale one time.

i wonder if those were worth collecting