Becoming An Electrician

Kingoffrogs

Apparatus Of Satan
Site Supporter ☠️
Hi guys, been a while.

I am currently interested in becoming an electrician. I plan on submitting my application to the IBEW in Rockford in order to secure an apprenticeship in order to become a residential electrician. I will have all of the paperwork I need shortly, and my high school grades far exceed the minimum requirements for becoming an electrician. I will be a union residential electrician.

I do not expect this to be "easy money", in fact, for the entire duration of my apprenticeship I expect it to be one of the hardest things I've ever done. However, it still will not be as difficult as being a general manager at a fast food place, while I will simultaneously be making far more money after I diversify my skill set and become a journeyman.

Any advice?

Admin.

Who am I? I am over Two Billion in Saudi Cash!
Site Supporter ☠️
Hi guys, been a while.

I am currently interested in becoming an electrician. I plan on submitting my application to the IBEW in Rockford in order to secure an apprenticeship in order to become a residential electrician. I will have all of the paperwork I need shortly, and my high school grades far exceed the minimum requirements for becoming an electrician. I will be a union residential electrician.

I do not expect this to be "easy money", in fact, for the entire duration of my apprenticeship I expect it to be one of the hardest things I've ever done. However, it still will not be as difficult as being a general manager at a fast food place, while I will simultaneously be making far more money after I diversify my skill set and become a journeyman.

Any advice?
A couple of my old friends went that route and are doing very well. The trade unions are tough to get in, good luck!

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Whoa, you're applying for a training program. I don't know, but that seems like something I heard might be a good idea for you before. For the life of me, I can't remember who suggested it. :sarcasm1:

Actually, good for you. I hope you have great success! :ThumbsUp1:

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Hi guys, been a while.

Any advice?
If you really needed a job and the money you could always move to Northern Canada and work on the Oil Fields or mines @Kingoffrogs . Yukon, Alberta, Northwest Territories. They don't have enough people in those places and if your first language is English all the better. I think their certifications are recognized in the US and the EU if you wanted to move back home or elsewhere. Northern Canada is very cold tho. -40 below in the Winter time. But if you eventually wanted duo citizenship, they'd probably give it to you if you committed to working there for a while. I think there might be a lot of Yanks working up in Northern Canada because the money is good. However I suppose the majority of them go to Alaska.

Someone from Ireland told me he moved to Vancouver because he was an Electrician back home and they have a shortage of those kinda tradesmen here. But most likely up North if ya can stand the Winters.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
If you really needed a job and the money you could always move to Northern Canada and work on the Oil Fields or mines @Kingoffrogs . Yukon, Alberta, Northwest Territories. They don't have enough people in those places and if your first language is English all the better. I think their certifications are recognized in the US and the EU if you wanted to move back home or elsewhere. Northern Canada is very cold tho. -40 below in the Winter time. But if you eventually wanted duo citizenship, they'd probably give it to you if you committed to working there for a while.

Someone from Ireland told me he moved to Vancouver because he was an Electrician back home and they have a shortage of those kinda tradesmen here. But most likely up North if ya can stand the Winters.

What does that have to do with what he is actually doing, Senile @Joe?

KOF: "I think I am going to learn how to paint."

Senile Joe: "You might want to take singing lessons in Tanzania."

What the fuck!??!

OP
OP
Kingoffrogs

Kingoffrogs

Apparatus Of Satan
Site Supporter ☠️
If you really needed a job and the money you could always move to Northern Canada and work on the Oil Fields or mines @Kingoffrogs . Yukon, Alberta, Northwest Territories. They don't have enough people in those places and if your first language is English all the better. I think their certifications are recognized in the US and the EU if you wanted to move back home or elsewhere. Northern Canada is very cold tho. -40 below in the Winter time. But if you eventually wanted duo citizenship, they'd probably give it to you if you committed to working there for a while. I think there might be a lot of Yanks working up in Northern Canada because the money is good. However I suppose the majority of them go to Alaska.

Thanks for not helping at all nigga.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Thanks for not helping at all nigga.
Well I am helping you.

If by any chance, the work isn't where you after you graduate, remote places in Northern Canada are always looking for skilled tradesmen. Even foreigners. Doesn't mean you have to live there forever, but it may be a good place to pick experience, pick up your licenses/tickets and move back home when you made the moolah.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I know the Yukon def has a shortage of skilled tradesman.
Places like Dawson Creek in British Columbia.
Or the Oilfields of Alberta.
But its very isolated and cold in the winters.

OP
OP
Kingoffrogs

Kingoffrogs

Apparatus Of Satan
Site Supporter ☠️
Well I am helping you.

If by any chance, the work isn't where you after you graduate, remote places in Northern Canada are always looking for skilled tradesmen. Even foreigners. Doesn't mean you have to live there forever, but it may be a good place to pick experience, pick up your licenses/tickets and move back home when you made the moolah.
This doesn't help me in the slightest with my current endeavor, you're giving me advice on something I am never going to even consider for a multitude of reasons. But thanks for trying.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Listen to Senile @Joe and you might be working well into your 70's while living in a crappy 1 bedroom apartment in the bad part pf town.

Just like him.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
This doesn't help me in the slightest with my current endeavor, you're giving me advice on something I am never going to even consider for a multitude of reasons. But thanks for trying.

Try Alaska then.

I bet the work is available, & the money is good there for electricians.

If I'm not mistaken the initial training is only one small part of getting your ticket/certification. After that your on the job training counts towards it & you need to get a certain number of hours and an employer who's willing to take you on and train you.

So of course you want to go where the work is & the competition from other applicants is lower so you can get your hours in.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Hi guys, been a while.

Any advice?
:ThumbsUp1: Good move. I started my apprenticeship in 1972. Turned out 5 years later. Know you can take this skill anywhere in the world, and find work. I am living proof. Such an interesting Trade.